Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

What y'all using for windsceens these days?

(1/3) > >>

JiB97:
So I have been running the DPA UA0896 screens made for the DPA4011 with my AKG c460b|ck3 setup for the past 15 years and it dawned one me during this past Phish Vegas run that I should replace them as they are starting to fall apart and I don't want to damage my mic capsules with little pieces of windscreen material.

So, should I just buy a new pair of these or have there been improvements in the windscreen game that I am not aware of?

I have a pair of the Movo furry guys for my ck8s but was looking for something that is similar to the DPA screens I have that offer protection in mildly windy environments and something I can just run indoors too without coloring my recordings too much. If I tape outside in a windy environment I have a pair of dead rats that I made to fit over the DPA screens.

I am aware of the "big ass" Shure windscreens but don't think I need them for 95% of the taping I do so I have never bought them.

morst:
On my second set of 0896s.
Love em.
Like any foam screen, pull them off the end of the mic so there is a bit of a pocket of still air.

I am certain that other screens can protect more but these work for my needs.
Rykote, BAS are totally legit but if you know the 0896, just make sure your set is not flaking into dust.

phil_er_up:
Bought these for my DPA402X -
 https://www.adorama.com/mvwst50.html

Used them last weekend and they are great. Had 20MPH gusts and no wind leaks. All wind screens take out some high end. Though these seemed minimal in those regards. Very well constructed and only cost 15.95 each. In the thread above they said you do not need dead rats over them.

goodcooker:

I got out my DPA screens to use them a few weeks ago and got black crumbly particles all over my desk.

I think I'm going to replace them with the same screens instead of trying something new.

I have 3 sets of screens -

Very small cheapo foam for indoors in best conditions - mainly for peace of mind
DPA for indoors where a big fan or HVAC might be an issue or outside in favorable conditions
Movo WST50 for outside when it's likely to be gusty

I've had less then stellar results with the DPAs outside - I live in the Midwest and it can get gusty with no real warning.

JiB97:

--- Quote from: phil_er_up on November 08, 2021, 06:38:28 AM ---Bought these for my DPA402X -
 https://www.adorama.com/mvwst50.html

Used them last weekend and they are great. Had 20MPH gusts and no wind leaks. All wind screens take out some high end. Though these seemed minimal in those regards. Very well constructed and only cost 15.95 each. In the thread above they said you do not need dead rats over them.

--- End quote ---

Yep, think I am gonna grab a pair of these and then also the Schoeps B5s for indoor work.

Just found out there are B5 and B5D and the BFDs seem to have a little more air around the capsules vs. the B5, at least according to Schoeps: https://schoeps.de/en/products/accessories/wind-popscreens/hollow-foam-type-windscreens/b-5-d.html

Anyone running these B5Ds and can comment on them vs. the regular Schoeps B5s?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version