Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Looking for a new recorder for stealth recording

<< < (3/8) > >>

goodcooker:

If you want stealthable size and okay built in mics I would recommend looking for a used Marantz PMD620 or a Tascam DR2D.

Both are relatively easy to find on resale sites like ebay or Reverb.

illconditioned:
I've had good luck with Zoom F1.Runs well on two AAA batteries.Has screw-lock 3.5mm stereo plugs with switchable plug in power.
I run either Senn ME104 or similar lav mics or AT822 single point mic powered by a single AA battery.
My favourite deck is Sony M10, that has very low noise inputs, but for acoustic and/or electric live shows of reasonable volume, the Zoom F1 is perfect.
Happy recording !
 Richard

Ozpeter:
Yup, the F1 does a good job, and its controls are tactile so you don't need to take it out of your pocket really.  I use mine mainly with Roland in-ear binaurals. They have the advantage that it beeps into your ears when it starts and stops so you know something is happening.

Niels:

--- Quote from: tungarbulb on March 09, 2022, 04:11:34 PM ---
I considered buying its successor, the R-07. But after reading *lots* of reviews critical of everything from its questionable reliability to its inexcusably slow file transfer speeds to its use of those easy-to-lose micro-SD cards (which are mounted in the unit such that it is easy to lose one), I decided that model was not an option.

What in your opinion is the best recorder available today for stealth recording?

--- End quote ---
Most reviews of this unit are with the original firmware which wasn't ready for primetime.
I returned mine for a refund early on because of that, but got one for free last year - and with the most recent firmware most of my reservations were addressed. The bluetooth connectivity is stable and reliable in my experience with an iPhone, but some people with android phones apparently have different experiences.
In normal use, transfer time is not something I notice as slow, but I don't time it. The card slot is not brilliantly designed to say the least and no firmware will improve on that but I don't need to remove the card so it is a non-issue for me.
I did have a A10 for a brief moment, but it was faulty assembled with imprecisely mounted control buttons so I returned it - as well as the second replacement unit I received, that was before I could form an opinion - but definitely tiny device.

OrionMan:

--- Quote from: Niels on March 12, 2022, 08:26:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: tungarbulb on March 09, 2022, 04:11:34 PM ---
I considered buying its successor, the R-07. But after reading *lots* of reviews critical of everything from its questionable reliability to its inexcusably slow file transfer speeds to its use of those easy-to-lose micro-SD cards (which are mounted in the unit such that it is easy to lose one), I decided that model was not an option.

What in your opinion is the best recorder available today for stealth recording?

--- End quote ---
Most reviews of this unit are with the original firmware which wasn't ready for primetime.
I returned mine for a refund early on because of that, but got one for free last year - and with the most recent firmware most of my reservations were addressed. The bluetooth connectivity is stable and reliable in my experience with an iPhone, but some people with android phones apparently have different experiences.
In normal use, transfer time is not something I notice as slow, but I don't time it. The card slot is not brilliantly designed to say the least and no firmware will improve on that but I don't need to remove the card so it is a non-issue for me.
I did have a A10 for a brief moment, but it was faulty assembled with imprecisely mounted control buttons so I returned it - as well as the second replacement unit I received, that was before I could form an opinion - but definitely tiny device.

--- End quote ---

What's wrong with the card slot?

I'm guessing from what you wrote that you are having a hard time removing the card?  If so, it is super easy to do.  When you open the attached door to the card compartment, use the little tab in that door (it's between the 2 plastic door hinges) to press the card even further down.  There is a spring under the card, so after you press the card in, quickly move the door's tab away so the card will eject out.  But be careful, because sometimes it flies out! (I just tried it and it flew at least a foot away)  But you don't have to 'quickly' move it away either - and in that case you can just flip the recorder upside down and let the card slide out.  Not sure why the manual does not clearly show this great feature! (I know there are 2 versions of the manual, so maybe one points it out, but does not explain how to use it).  I've read lots of blogs and reviews about it being hard to remove so it would be good for Roland to update their user guide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version