Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Very low-profile (3.4 mm) stereo snake

<< < (5/6) > >>

voltronic:

--- Quote from: BlueSky71 on February 25, 2023, 12:26:01 PM ---I just  used a set of these (male) for a cable build with mogami 3031. I opted to use mogami as opposed to  the redco stuff for a couple reasons, mostly because I wanted to try these connectors and was ordering from here at that point, and also because I was already familiar with it. I also needed to fit 2 single pair runs into a single 5 pin XLR, and didn't want to deal with breaking it out on the other end to 3 pin. I found the connectors to be very good. as the review says on the page now, there are 3 compression sleeves that come with the connector for various wire gauges. I my circumstance, I was using a very small cable and had to use some heatshrink to build up the OD to use the strain relief collar correctly. I meant to post some pictures, I will get to it. Meanwhile, a strong recommendation on them from me.

https://www.performanceaudio.com/squareplug-spxf-low-profile-true-heavy-duty-3-pin-female-xlr-connector-black.html

--- End quote ---

I had been considering these for my next cable build. Very interested in pictures when you get a chance.

BlueSky71:
Here we go. So the strain relief collars are for 5,6, and 7 mm cables. I measured what I have done with calipers today, mine is 4.2 with the heatsrink. it seems like it will do the job, but I am not sure long term. I usually run 2 sources, so if I do have a failure I will be ok. Sure I will add another layer of heat shrink before long.

voltronic:
Thanks for the pics and build details.

Do you feel the overall quality of the connectors are on par with Neutrik?

BlueSky71:

--- Quote from: voltronic on February 26, 2023, 01:31:18 PM ---Thanks for the pics and build details.

--- End quote ---

I meant to mention that.They are very heavy duty. I would say they weigh more than a standard XLR as well, as the screw on cap is solid. It also helps to compress the strain relief piece. They fit my F6 and F3 perfectly. I have one set of male XLR's that are actually slightly to big to fit them correctly if you are in a hurry...so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, I did not order the color coded screws, but i would hve if I figured it out before placing my order.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: BlueSky71 on February 26, 2023, 01:37:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: voltronic on February 26, 2023, 01:31:18 PM ---Thanks for the pics and build details.

--- End quote ---

I meant to mention that.They are very heavy duty. I would say they weigh more than a standard XLR as well, as the screw on cap is solid. It also helps to compress the strain relief piece. They fit my F6 and F3 perfectly. I have one set of male XLR's that are actually slightly to big to fit them correctly if you are in a hurry...so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Also, I did not order the color coded screws, but i would hve if I figured it out before placing my order.

--- End quote ---

I think you sold me - I'll try them the best time I have cables to build. Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version