Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

start up for OLD Norelco

<< < (2/3) > >>

2reelrookie:
Thanks for the manual link...I did use a Que Tip and Isop alcohol to try and clean the wheel....as well as a gentle scraping to remove material. At first I thought it had a soft Teflon like face to it...but I believe it should just be the aluminum wheel...am I correct on this?  I wonder if nothing else a small 'rubber' type bumper could be used. I'll do some more checking around. TY

goodcooker:

The tech who refurbed my cassette decks used food grade lithium grease on anything that slides and need lubrication against friction. Gently clean off any old hardened grease first.

Anything that spins got a bit of sewing machine oil.

2reelrookie:
I'm hearing more than noise than I'd like to hear coming from this unit when it runs. Later on I'll try to record a snippet of it, as well as a short audio piece that I recorded into Audacity. That is assuming I can upload an audio file here...I see wav file as an option here... Thanks for the grease tip...

dyneq:

--- Quote from: 2reelrookie on January 10, 2023, 10:13:38 PM ---Thanks for the manual link...I did use a Que Tip and Isop alcohol to try and clean the wheel....as well as a gentle scraping to remove material. At first I thought it had a soft Teflon like face to it...but I believe it should just be the aluminum wheel...am I correct on this?  I wonder if nothing else a small 'rubber' type bumper could be used. I'll do some more checking around. TY

--- End quote ---
It's hard to say without seeing it first hand, but the larger wheel seems to have old, hardened grease. For that, I'd remove it all, and reapply the same amount of fresh grease in the same area (check manual for correct grease, or ask an expert). For the 3 smaller wheels, it's too covered in to see what it is and try to guess what it should be.

If you're hearing squeaking and straining as it runs, don't run it any longer than necessary to diagnose. Apply sewing machine oil one drop at a time to metal on metal moving transport parts and then recheck.

2reelrookie:
There sounds to be a low rumble as it runs. I need to open things back up and explore the main large drive wheel to maybe learn more. Here's a brief audio clip of it running w/o any reels on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version