Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 112946 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #360 on: September 02, 2008, 02:06:00 AM »
Headphones may be the worst type of load for testing the LINE output characteristic of a 'Phones' jack on these recorders.

Headphones present a LOW/COMPLEX loading of the output amplifier, while LINE loading is anything but low impedance, and varies with the patch cable length, cable characteristic, and the input loading of a LINE level input that's rarely adding anything complex to cause signal degradation or loading difficulty.

That's the reason there are so many headphones amps on the market, and your favorite phones will sound differently with each device it's driven by, so don't be judging the sound quality of a LINE function with what you might hear on connected headphones.   

It just may be the R-09HR does not have such a great low and complex load driving ability, or nearly as good as the older R-09 deck, but likely have excellent quality with LINE cable driving purposes.

Suggest holding off conclusions unless this is carefully tested with phones/line output jack connected to suitable phones or speaker amplifier for judging how this output works for simple less demanding line cable driving purposes.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #361 on: September 02, 2008, 02:09:42 AM »
Headphones may be the worst type of load for testing the LINE output characteristic of a 'Phones' jack on these recorders.

Headphones present a LOW/COMPLEX loading of the output amplifier, while LINE loading is anything but low impedance, and varies with the patch cable length, cable characteristic, and the input loading of a LINE level input that's rarely adding anything complex to cause signal degradation or loading difficulty.

That's the reason there are so many headphones amps on the market, and your favorite phones will sound differently with each device it's driven by, so don't be judging the sound quality of a LINE function with what you might hear on connected headphones.   

It just may be the R-09HR does not have such a great low and complex load driving ability, or nearly as good as the older R-09 deck, but likely have excellent quality with LINE cable driving purposes.

Suggest holding off conclusions unless this is carefully tested with phones/line output jack connected to suitable phones or speaker amplifier for judging how this output works for simple less demanding line cable driving purposes.

That seems like a good suggestion.

But, is there any EQ typically applied to headphone outputs?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #362 on: September 02, 2008, 02:19:24 AM »

That seems like a good suggestion.

But, is there any EQ typically applied to headphone outputs?

Richard

Headphones signal is typically wanting a flat, full bandwidth amplifier signal that's the usual for phones output jacks, and also LINE output.

What may be different in a Phones output circuit is the addition of a slightly larger in-series load resister of 50 to 150 ohms to help the output amplifier deal with complex low impedance loads, but will not alter driving high impedance LINE cable whatsoever.   

In fact, inserting ~50 ohms in-series with a LINE amplifier's output is considered good practice keeping the amplifier's output more isolated, and stable under the more-or-less complex patch cable impedance conditions.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #363 on: September 02, 2008, 11:22:10 AM »
In English (layman's terms) please....would I be able to pass a pure line out signal with no colorization to another deck via the headphones out or not? 

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #364 on: September 02, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
In English (layman's terms) please....would I be able to pass a pure line out signal with no colorization to another deck via the headphones out or not? 

Yes, you certainly would.

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #365 on: September 02, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »
OK, so the curious geek in me won tonite.  The 9HR arrived and I opened it.  It is a lot smaller than I thought. After reading the owner's manual and going thru the basics, its not that hard to use.  The firmware is 1.04 which seems to be the latest one. I connected it to the D8 and the out signal was passed ok once I raised the volume. So I think I'll keep this deck and experiment with it at a show.

Quick observation: When the Hold button is set to on, I can't change levels.  I'm so used to the D8 allowing level control when its on hold. Given the location of the hold button on the 9HR,  partial hold that allows level control would have been welcomed. Is this when somone would use AGC or Limiter?

Offline Olychild

• Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Luddite
« Reply #366 on: September 03, 2008, 01:44:56 AM »

Quick observation: When the Hold button is set to on, I can't change levels.  I'm so used to the D8 allowing level control when its on hold. Given the location of the hold button on the 9HR,  partial hold that allows level control would have been welcomed. Is this when somone would use AGC or Limiter?
Rather than using AGC or limiter, record in 24 bit, set your levels conservatively & raise them in post if necessary.
Recording: CA-14 > CA-9100 > R09HR
Playback: 70's solid state thrift scores
Riding: Vespa LX-150, Firestone Speed Cruiser II, Burley Runabout

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #367 on: September 03, 2008, 04:55:38 AM »
OK. Will do this via Audacity then. 

Is there some way to completely shut off the display when recording?   When I set the Display Timer to 2 seconds and power-save, it never went off while recording.  Am I doing something wrong or is this a defective unit?

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #368 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:47 AM »
Locking this thread. Part 3 continues here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,109564.msg1463093.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com