Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135315 times)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:59:55 AM »
Starting a new thread.........
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:00:45 AM »
....takin' her out tonight for some onstage action. 

She likes being onstage.  >:D
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
just got mine delivered by Fed ex 30 min ago. I like it =D
I am doing some tests atm with my mics and rechargeable batteries
more later
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:56:51 AM »
Ok, received my WMOD 661 from Doug Oade yesterday.

My first impression of the unit physically:

1. Solid feel, well built, not "cheap" feeling in any respect.

2. Very intuitive menu controls and operation. I set up all my presets and settings in a few min.

3. I personally love the "brick" layout, although I know some folks are not as big on it.

4. Doug's workmanship is invisible, short of the sticker in the battery compartment and the plaque affixed in a non-descript spot on the underside of the unit. He just barely scratched the paint on the case screws.

5. SD card slot operation is smooth and easy, just like one in a good digital camera. I wish the SD slot cover had a lock screw like the 670/671, though.

6. I found the AA battery compartment a little tight on the unit I received. I felt like it took too much force and wrangling to get each battery seated between the contacts. I guess tight may be good, as the batteries will maintain a tight connection even with the recorder being jostled. It could just need to "break in" after a few insertions.

My first recording with it:

My 2 1/2 year old son has all types of music around him almost constantly, so he has become a little singer lately. He does this really cool medley of pieces of different songs that is absolutely precious. So, I plugged my 461s directly into the WMOD661 (mic sens at 0)and hand held them about a foot or so away from him and told him to sing, and he went right into his medley with air guitar and everything, about 10 mins worth.

I popped the card into the PC and played it, and all I can say is WOW. The immediate impression I got was how realistic and natural the recording sounded. Sometimes, recordings enhance sounds that were not as prominent live, and fail to reproduce sounds that were. Not this unit. Even playing back on cheap Dell desktop speakers, the recording sounded like my son was standing right there singing it again. Rich, full, and sweet, with no audible hiss whatsoever. He also leaned closer to the mic a couple of times and sang a couple of loud verses that totally hit "over" hard, and it is visibly brink walled, but not really audible. No distortion. Nice!!

I am not sure what aspects of my own personal experience can be chalked up to the warm mod, but so far I really like what I hear. Going to break the deck in for real at The Bridge here in Richmond next Friday and I will report back with my results from that show.

One more thing, I tried to get Doug to explain to me the difference between the concert and warm mods before I bought the 661, and had about six exchanges until I got what I needed to make the call.

In both mods Doug upgrades the XLR input capacitors. The Concert mod upgrades the op amps on the XLR inputs with bipolar transistors, same type used in the stock unit, only much better. Warm mod upgrades the op amps on the XLR inputs with FETs, which act more like valves, so they have that warm "tube" like quality.

While this was all great info, I needed something I could relate to. So I told Doug that I really like the M148 sound, and could he use that as a benchmark to inform the differences in sound between the concert mod and the warm mod. Doug explained that using that benchmark, the Warm Mod is like the M148 and the Concert Mod is like the M248 in terms of tone. Based on that and the fact that I run AKGs, that allowed me to make the obvious call on the Warm mod. Schoeps users would then benefit more from the Concert Mod, with it being more like the M248.

Really looking forward to putting this unit through it's paces and seeing what it can handle.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline GDfan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »

Offline GDfan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 04:19:44 PM »
doing a battery test with energizer lithium batteries, 4 1/2 hours so far at 24/48 with my akg 568's, the meter on the Marantz still shows 3 full bars.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »

...checking in...

;)
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline GDfan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
update, 8hrs on Energizer Lithium batteries.  :o

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:48 PM »
doing a battery test with energizer lithium batteries, 4 1/2 hours so far at 24/48 with my akg 568's, the meter on the Marantz still shows 3 full bars.

Do you know the current draw of the AKG 568's?  I think the phantom power is probably the biggest component of the power draw, and of course, each pair of mics needs a different amount of current.  So it'd be a good reference to know how much current the mics draw when posted battery run times.  I will say, though, that 8 hours is fantastic!

Offline audBall

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
ok....back from taping Fareed onstage.  It was a short n' sweet little set at CMU. 

Bad news on my Kingston card, though.  MF'er stopped mid-set due to "Error Card".  I swapped in another to finish the set.  I will be switching to another brand asap. 

Thankfully, tonedeaf was there taping also and got the whole set.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 11:34:41 PM »

Wow, nice!  I take it those are non-rechargeable AAs?  And with 48V phantom for the mics?  Pretty nice, although I'd like to see how they do with run of the mill ~2700mAh NiMH batteries.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »
ok....back from taping Fareed onstage.  It was a short n' sweet little set at CMU. 

Bad news on my Kingston card, though.  MF'er stopped mid-set due to "Error Card".  I swapped in another to finish the set.  I will be switching to another brand asap. 

Thankfully, tonedeaf was there taping also and got the whole set.

What bit-rate were you recording @?

Which Kingston card?

size? speed? elite?

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline GDfan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »

Wow, nice!  I take it those are non-rechargeable AAs?  And with 48V phantom for the mics?  Pretty nice, although I'd like to see how they do with run of the mill ~2700mAh NiMH batteries.
yep, the non rechargeables, with 48v with the akg568's

Offline audBall

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:10:26 AM »
What bit-rate were you recording @?
Which Kingston card?
size? speed? elite?

Kingston SDHC 8gb Class 6

Here's a link to a sample from last night:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcg6t4

Fareed Haque & Flat Earth Ensemble
Nakamichi CM-1000/CP102 (omnis/NOSish) > Oade Concert 661 (-18db atten.)
DFC, stagelip (basically onstage)
Recorded at 24/44.1
Soundforge 7.0: +6db gain, fades, phase correction (mic issue, not recorder's)

They keys were the only instrument solely running through PA, so it's a little distant.

Me like.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »

yep, the non rechargeables, with 48v with the akg568's

I just looked up the AKG 56:
http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,242,pid,242,nodeid,2,_language,EN,view,specs.html
it doesn't say exactly how much current the mics draw, but it does so <2mA.
That's an important piece of data to know when thinking about the 8 hour run-time.

to contrast that, my beyerdynamics draw 4.6mA of phantom power, so I'd expect a lot less than 8 hours when powering my mics... but thanks for doing the tests, the mroe data we have on battery life, the better :)

and Audball, bummer of the Kingston card problems.  You say that you'll be looking for a new card.  My current recommendation would be to stick with Marantz's recommendation of PNY or SanDisk.  Although it is unfortunate that the 661 seems to be more picky about the cards compared to some other decks...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com