Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 116031 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2009, 04:04:21 AM »
Did my second and third shows with the R-44, and I'm LOVING everything about this little deck except for the level knobs. That one little click is too big a jump and too abrupt for my taste. Seems to me this is designed to just set it and leave it, which is fine--except when you really need to adjust your levels. Maybe that big jump is easier to deal with in post, but I'd at least like to have the option to make a gentle, smooth adjustment. Sorry of this has been covered elsewhere, but can someone shed some light on the reason for the design?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
so keep the attenuation knob backed off a little bit.  that way you have some smooth "wiggle room" to adjust.  run it a "click" too quiet and then add to it by backing off on the trim.
thats what I do..., but I'm not overly concerned w/levels on most stuff I record.  If its too quiet, I bump it in post.  I try to keep things peaking around -6db

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2009, 06:59:49 AM »
I suspect that it's designed for repeatability of setting, and accurate setting across all four channels.  After the first couple of outings I'd expect you'll know which notch is for you.  Even using 16 bits only, it's quiet enough that being two notches (12dB except for the only notch that's 12dB in one jump) under-recorded isn't going to matter that much, even less so in 24 bits.

Of course if you use it with different external gear every time there's more of a problem but I imagine most people have a pretty standard rig.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
It was discussed here that making changes to the outer knob while recording leaves a small gap in the wav form. It does, at least if you don't make the adjustment fast enough, but I wasn't able to actually hear the gap. In an odd way its handy in that I can set my cursor right where I made the change and + or - the multiple of 6db to get the levels in line.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2009, 12:00:10 AM »
I went ahead and ordered a Kingston 16gb class 4 card today.  I had always had good luck with Transcend cards but it sounds like there have been a few issues with their class 6 cards. 

I did a cassette to SDHC transfer for someone today using the R-44 and the transcend card.  No issues but it was only 16/44.

No problem that I already bought the transcend card.  I can always use it to increase the storage in my little SSD Asus EEE computer.

Joe   
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »
There is a lot of material on the board for the R-44, so I'll just ask...

Has anyone had a problem with recorded files not showing up on the card? I recorded a couple of different performances at Pickathon but I'm not seeing them on the card right now. I'm kind of anal, so I know I was recording when I thought I was (and not on pause, or similar). Recordings on either side of that chunk of time are present on the card, but a couple of files in the "middle" of the day are missing. Very odd, and kind of depressing. Oh well...glad there were other tapers there. This is the first time I've encountered an issue with the deck. Strange.

It was a new card, but it looks like the first two recordings I made on the card are intact. Strange that the missing files are in the middle of the day. Recordings on either side of that time-slot appear to be intact.

::)
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »

Has anyone had a problem with recorded files not showing up on the card? I recorded a couple of different performances at Pickathon but I'm not seeing them on the card right now. I'm kind of anal, so I know I was recording when I thought I was (and not on pause, or similar). Recordings on either side of that chunk of time are present on the card, but a couple of files in the "middle" of the day are missing. Very odd, and kind of depressing. Oh well...glad there were other tapers there. This is the first time I've encountered an issue with the deck. Strange.

It was a new card, but it looks like the first two recordings I made on the card are intact. Strange that the missing files are in the middle of the day. Recordings on either side of that time-slot appear to be intact.

did you format your card before using it?

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
did you format your card before using it?

Yep.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

kirk97132

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2009, 03:16:48 PM »

I had an issue recently with a chunk disappearing from the middle of a recording but not whole files missing.  I suspect a bad card but have not had it happen again(yet).   are you using a card reader or the deck to access the files?  If you are not, try using the deck to see if it makes a difference.  Don't really know what else it copuld be.  I'd also look at file names, are the consecutive or are the missing file name/numbers missing too?

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »
And for the file splitting, do you need to start new tracks around :50 when running 4 tracks, or are the 2 files separate?

What I never thought of until just now is that if we record mono tracks (MONOx2 or 4) we should be able to record for four hours before file split! You'd have to restore stereo in post though, by panning the respective tracks to L & R.

Always my mode of operation.  This may not be "pure", but sometimes I don't pan each all the way left and all the way right...what sounds best to me on some recordings is a few percentage points mixed in the middle.  But, then again, I don't get crazy about measuring my mic positions up on the stand...

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline dmonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2009, 02:44:23 AM »
Thanks for the note. Yes, the filenames are consecutive. I've tried reading from the deck as well as by putting the card into a computer. The files just appear to be "gone". Very odd. I'm chalking it up to card error right now. Maybe I should just send this card back to Newegg for a replacement? Hmmm...

I had an issue recently with a chunk disappearing from the middle of a recording but not whole files missing.  I suspect a bad card but have not had it happen again(yet).   are you using a card reader or the deck to access the files?  If you are not, try using the deck to see if it makes a difference.  Don't really know what else it copuld be.  I'd also look at file names, are the consecutive or are the missing file name/numbers missing too?

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2009, 09:09:01 AM »
Thanks for the note. Yes, the filenames are consecutive. I've tried reading from the deck as well as by putting the card into a computer. The files just appear to be "gone". Very odd. I'm chalking it up to card error right now. Maybe I should just send this card back to Newegg for a replacement? Hmmm...

On any file issues i've had with a SD/CF card, Data Doctor Recovery has worked.  Give it a try before the reformat or send back/toss. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »
My R-44 needed attention within the first year due to failure of the external power input.  The chief problem was that the repair centre had never had one in before and needed to obtain the service manual which took a while, though I think the actual parts required were not so much of an issue.  This is in Australia so YMMV.

Offline dgillyerek

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
Is there a way to zoom or set the level meters db range?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2009, 07:00:25 AM »
No, you can't change the range of the meters.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com