Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)  (Read 107779 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (part V)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
totally guilty of not using mine enough. i guess that's what happens when you own a 722. :P

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Just got mine today.  Now I need a show to tape.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 05:13:37 PM »
My set clock issue has gone away using kleiner Rainer's suggestion:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=146385.msg1880365#msg1880365

:)
This explains why sony's engineers were not able to duplicate the problem. It comes from NOT being used, and the units work fine if you just USE them! I can imagine the sony engineers leaving the units in sleep mode on their test bench, which solved the problem every time they went to look for it!!

Don't be a sony apologist.   It would have been trivial for them to black or white box this by testing a variety of workflows.  And with the input of engineering, they should have been aware that the internal battery is only charged while the unit is on or in standby.  They should have easily figured this out, assuming this is actually the fix.

Offline wipeman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 04:28:09 AM »
I have emailed Sony Support UK the details I posted here on how it went away.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:21:20 AM by wipeman »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
Recently, I recorded with a new Kingston microSD card (looks like the price went up $8 in the last few days) and things went just fine. 

I created a checksum file on the card for the WAVs with the card still inserted in the recorder (connected to lappy via USB) and the checksum ran fine.  The files were then transferred via USB from the recorder to the HD.  The checksum failed after the transfer.  The microSD card was then taken out of the recorder and the files were transferred to the computer via the included SD adapter, inserted into the lappy.  The checksum ran successfully. 

Has anyone experienced this?

^^^ 
I narrowed this issue down to the external HD, not the microSD card, in case anyone was wondering.  The card has worked flawlessly the last half-dozen or so times I've used it.

The USB adapter is about the size of of penny....crazy small. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Just ordered one of these bad boys....Should get it early next week.....
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
This explains why sony's engineers were not able to duplicate the problem. It comes from NOT being used, and the units work fine if you just USE them! I can imagine the sony engineers leaving the units in sleep mode on their test bench, which solved the problem every time they went to look for it!!

Don't be a sony apologist.   It would have been trivial for them to black or white box this by testing a variety of workflows.  And with the input of engineering, they should have been aware that the internal battery is only charged while the unit is on or in standby.  They should have easily figured this out, assuming this is actually the fix.
Uh huh. Only took the rest of us a year and a half...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »
Anybody has any experience with B&H warranty.

They have my M10 since several weeks and act like real A****s.  I bought the recorder about a year ago and added a extra few years off warranty... And they keep asking stupid questions why did you sent it in etc. and why to us what should we do with it.  IMO they should forward it to Sony for repair.

The parcel had a failure description included ...recorders creates buzz and humm static during recording using the line in jack with external battery powered mics...

Anybody?  Any ideas can explain how warranty is handled within the US since I am from Germany....

Cheers SF

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
So you are sure the M10 is broken? Have you tried to run line in from another source?

If it records fine from another source your mics may be the problem.

Obviously it's a bit late for that.

Did they say they don't find any problem? Or what has their response been.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with B+H.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
Checked the equipment with different mics and BB's with the Edriol RO9 HR I also own.  And all the tests recordings I made since then were fine.  But I have the same hiss on two recordings I mad one after the other  with the M10  Lineage: M10  - TINY box  - DPA 4061, M10  - CA 9100 -  CA14.

IMO it must be the M10. 

When I called for status....I was asked/told

Why did you send it to us? The half year warranty is over.  What should we do with the Item?  Whats is wrong with the item?

I paid for a 3 YEAR protetion plan.  I sent a detailled description whats wrong with item.  I sent a copy of the voucher/bill.

In Germany you return the item to the vendor where you have bought it from and then it is his responsibilty to forward it to Sony.  I could have sent it to Sony in the US...But I am sure they may have asked the same stupid questions.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
I've never bought one of those extended warranties...but I'm under the impression that you deal with the company that does the extended warranty. Either way B+H should help you out.

Have you been dealing with them via email or phone?

I've never heard of any issues with B+H. Probably the best company I've ever dealt with.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 02:10:42 AM »
Dealt per phone.....will mail the info...wait and see....

Offline BusDriver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »
Sorry if I should ask in a different place, but ......

Power consumption in the M10 using alkaline AA is concerning me. I may be taking a risk but have been trying to find the point when I need to swap batteries. I have about 12 hours on Duracell AA and the battery meter has not budged from full. Is there a fault in metering? Does the meter just plummet after a certain point of drainage? Is there a 'crap-out" point when the unit just shuts down?

I've been using this M10 for over a year and use both alakaline and Lithium recharge. My recharge batts, likely tired, can run 5 hours MAX. The alkalines just go on and on ... I really don't like filling the dump, but ...

And,  feel free to point me to a good source for the AA rechargables. I get lost in 'the search' sometimes. I also power my mixpre with AA x8 self made brick. Again, alkalines keep going, swift drain on the lithium recharge units.

B.D.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
I've taped about a half dozen shows on a single pair of alkalines going line-in to my M10 and only one bar has dropped.  I've even tinkered with the on-board mics (~1-2 hours of recording), all on this one set of batteries. 

As much as I like to use rechargeables, I simply don't with the M10.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
i got about 20 hrs on the set of aa that came in the box
and that was not 20 hrs as a test, it was turn it on and off, multi shows, 1-3 hr sets
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com