Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102637 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
I am not keeping my dvd batteries in the fridge... no way in @$%^  ;D

You're absolutely right though, Gutbucket. Using a Tekkeon (specifically those with the voltage auto-detect functionality) is a recipe for disaster.

However, we've been using decent 9v DVD batteries since our first unit in March and have never had a problem. Flawless operation everytime.

I also use a 12v SLA sometimes which works perfectly. It definitely makes me feel a lot better knowing the clean power SLA's provide, but it's only 4.2Ah and can't power both my AD2k+ and the 680 for more than 3 hours. For longer shows, I still use a dvd battery.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
I am not keeping my dvd batteries in the fridge... no way in @$%^  ;D

I was forced to consume two beers to make room on the beer & battery section of the middle shelf last time.. a terrible sacrifice, but one I was prepared to make.  But yes, I know those things can be a delicate balance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2011, 08:29:05 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't ever use a Tekkeon with the 680, definitely a recipe for disaster right there. Aren't there enough examples here of how many people screwed up their decks using them? I too use a batterygeek battery. I'm only comfortable with the Tekkeon on my V3.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
My Tascam Update:  Unit was shipped to tascam from busman.  Tascam recieved the unit and it started up right away.  They fixed the dB problem on channel 2 and returned it back to me for $190 (Parts, Labor & Shipping).  Ran it last night with no issues (plugged into an outlet with the AC adapter).

Isn't it less than a year old?  That seems totally unacceptable to charge someone almost 1/4 of the price of a new unit for repairs that shouldn't have been required in the first place.

I believe this was a modded deck sent to Tascam through Busman, the warranty would have been voided by the mod.

It was modded to try and fix the dB problem (which didn't help) and then "unmodded" before it was sent to tascam.  The unit was purchased in April 2010 and I was not the original owner (two strikes against warranty coverage).
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »
Wow, lots of banter about these units. I don't do a lot of two tracks stuff in recent history but am getting really sick of my Microtrack II screwing up on me. I can't really justify a new purchase of a portable recorder but might have to anyway. This thing seems pretty cool for money but there seems to be a lot of complaints on this forum. Are there issues when running from AC power? Most of what I see from skimming around is related to battery talk. I certainly don't want to drop any loot an another unreliable recording device.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
I think for your purposes Clinton, you will be very happy with a DR-680.  My problem was with an early production unit.  Besides that I love the features of the unit.  I have pulled some serious gold with mine.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »
Here is a Busman modded in the YS for a good price!! 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151645.0

Wow, lots of banter about these units. I don't do a lot of two tracks stuff in recent history but am getting really sick of my Microtrack II screwing up on me. I can't really justify a new purchase of a portable recorder but might have to anyway. This thing seems pretty cool for money but there seems to be a lot of complaints on this forum. Are there issues when running from AC power? Most of what I see from skimming around is related to battery talk. I certainly don't want to drop any loot an another unreliable recording device.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »
is it just me or does it seem to be a lot of talk about a "few" problem units and that most dr-680 owners have had no issue?  Are there more units having problems than good units?  just curious.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
is it just me or does it seem to be a lot of talk about a "few" problem units and that most dr-680 owners have had no issue?  Are there more units having problems than good units?  just curious.

It's just you. Feel free to read through a few of these threads to better understand the magnitude of these problems.

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
Looking at a sample posted on page one of this thread the "volume" issue appears to be improper Phantom. I basically always us AC, though it might be nice to have an option from time to time. So are there other major issues I should be aware of for a situation like mine? Again, I still can't quite justify the expenditure but I'm trying to convince myself anyway.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2011, 03:11:40 PM »

It's just you. Feel free to read through a few of these threads to better understand the magnitude of these problems.

I want to start with the fact that yes there have been some problems with a 680.  But, I don't think it's him.  There is repeated talk of the same problem and that is even quoted as a problem by others who don't run a 680.  AND, as time goes by it seems to be shaping up that part of these problems were caused by using a certain Tekkon battery, so I don't think it's really accurate to say that the deck is bad because a battery causes a problem.   If you damage or fry a deck with a battery is the deck bad or is it the battery bad?   The 680 gets trashed talked by a lot of people but in reality are there more than 5 or 6 actually units that we are talking about?  I can't remember who it is but there's a couple of members here who split ownership of a 680 and both report a problem yet it's the same deck.  Once you take the decks that had a problem caused by a battery out of the equation the number of problem decks would seem to  drop by 50%.  It is made to read like almost every 680 out there has some kind of issue when that is far from the truth.  I've run two 680's with zero problems.  I personally know of at least 8 other here on TS who own a 680 and have never had a problem.  I think that to keep reiterating the point that a 680 was bad in the past DOES in fact make it appear like the problem keeps reoccurring over and over again.  But that's only my take on it and like I said my decks have been great to me. 

I think it would be great to get an actual count of EXACTLY how many decks were problamatic, what was wrong with them, and if it was caused by using one of the suspect Tekkon batteries.  I would also be great to get a count of how many decks out there do not have problems.  As far as that goes I'll even start the list....

2-680's no problems at all run off AC or 9volt DVD battery
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:43:57 AM by kirkd »

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
I had the first one... and yes I ran it off a Tekkeon

Offline Diamonds

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
Another good unit here.  Although I have only had it out with me a few times since I purchased it (I don't think multi-channel recording is for me), but no issues whatsoever.

I use a Tekkeon with mine  :o
My Recordings:  eTree  Live Music Archive

Busman BSC1 > Naiant Littlebox > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »
Haven't heard any reports of problems on units that only use the AC adapter.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
i personally know more people using good units than the few people on here with bad ones. I still don't think the handful of people with bad units here is representative of  all dr 680's. When the box first came out everyone reported its specs called for 12v but they reported it "would" work on a 9v then a multitude of different batteries that are below the factory specs were being used and problems began to arise. I would still like to know how many  people who ran a 12v fixed voltage battery from day 1 had issues.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.231 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com