Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 101970 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 10:28:54 AM »
Hello everybody,

I'm really new here, that's my first post on this forum. Thanks to all the contributors of this topic about the DR-680 I've already learnt a lot of useful things.
I just bought this recorder a few days ago. I was thinking about using a JoeMeek TwinQ with it connected to the digital input, as the TwinQ's got an SPDIF output ... but unfortunately I can't get the two them to work together and I end up with the "DIN unlock" message with every attempts I made.

Not sure that this will help, but:

I could not get my Apogee Mini-Me to lock to the 680 with the spdif out. (Tried 4 cables, all sample rates).
I've been successful using the the AES out, through a transformer, to the 680.  Not one problem.
Some folks have success cabling from AES to spdif without a transformer for short runs, but I tend to do things "by the book".
(I just use the spdif out now for a backup recorder)
The Mini-Me spdif has always worked with a MTII and a PMD671.
I'm thinking that the 680 might be a little more "picky" about its spdif.  (I haven't picked my spdif in a long time.  ba-dum-bum "I'm here all week.")

Just some info worth filing away,
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
Thanks very much KirkD !

You're right, I start to think it may come from my faulty - and unique :( - coax cable. I'm gonna buy a new one this week and carry on new tests.
It's already very nice and very reassuring to know that both TwinQ and DR680 worked well together in your case !

Thanks again !

Best,
MM
I've got a Zaolla digi cable in the YS: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148317.msg1897644#msg1897644

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:55 PM »
Hello everybody,

I'm really new here, that's my first post on this forum. Thanks to all the contributors of this topic about the DR-680 I've already learnt a lot of useful things.
I just bought this recorder a few days ago. I was thinking about using a JoeMeek TwinQ with it connected to the digital input, as the TwinQ's got an SPDIF output ... but unfortunately I can't get the two them to work together and I end up with the "DIN unlock" message with every attempts I made.

Not sure that this will help, but:

I could not get my Apogee Mini-Me to lock to the 680 with the spdif out. (Tried 4 cables, all sample rates).
I've been successful using the the AES out, through a transformer, to the 680.  Not one problem.
Some folks have success cabling from AES to spdif without a transformer for short runs, but I tend to do things "by the book".
(I just use the spdif out now for a backup recorder)
The Mini-Me spdif has always worked with a MTII and a PMD671.
I'm thinking that the 680 might be a little more "picky" about its spdif.  (I haven't picked my spdif in a long time.  ba-dum-bum "I'm here all week.")

Just some info worth filing away,
Dave

I tried to run my Aerco MP-2> AD2K+> DR-680 digi input @ moe.down this past weekend and it wouldn't work for any sample rate.  :P
The cable I tried was a custom BNC>SPDIF cable Ted made for me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:13:48 PM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

kirk97132

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »
I thought BNC was only used for wordclock connection?  THe 680 will ont accept wordclock only AES and SPDIF

Offline Myco

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
I thought BNC was only used for wordclock connection?  THe 680 will ont accept wordclock only AES and SPDIF

The BNC connector is on the AD2K end, connects with a SPDIF connector on the 680 end.
Used this setup with the R-44 with no problems, but so far with the 680, no luck.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »

Actually the AES3 Standard specifies a balanced and unbalanced connection types with the unbalanced uses 75ohm cable terminated with BNC connectors.  Balanced uses XLR-3 connectors

Have you tried setting the DR-680 Digital in port setting to AES?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:06:04 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

kirk97132

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 04:06:34 PM »
the 680 does have issues accepting some spdif signals.  but if you switch the output to aes it should lock. 

kirk97132

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
the 680 does have issues accepting some spdif signals.  but if you switch the output to aes it should lock. The input of the 680 is auto sensing it's the output of the 680 that you control thru menu for aes or spdif

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
the 680 does have issues accepting some spdif signals.  but if you switch the output to aes it should lock.

Yup. Our 680 didn't work with a USBPre to save our life. Then suddenly.. it works! Three different decks and a lot of fiddling.. yet no rhyme or reason why did/didn't work. :shrug:

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
I got my DR-680 back from Teac today.
They gave it a clean bill of health. The service manager, Jim, told me my issue was probably the 9v DVD battery I was using. I tend to agree. So, I'm going to start using it with a 12v SLA. So, I'm packing lead again. I'm a pack mule anyway, with all the stuff I carry.  ;D
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Myco

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »

Just tried it out and wouldn't you know it... it works! Set everything up and switched it to AES, but still it was "DIN Unlock".
I then jiggled the cable a little bit and the 680 screen changed from "DIN Unlock" to "DIN Lock", but this message stayed up on the screen. I then hit enter as I would have if it said Din Unlock, and I had signal.

I shut everything down and switched it back to SPDIF and hit record/pause again and I still had signal, but no notification of "DIN Lock" this time, the signal came up instantaneously. I switched it back to AES and still I had signal that way also.

My only question now is, should I see "DIN Lock" every time I power up, or is it fine just to see that signal is passing? Is there a way to pass a digital signal through the 680 without it being locked, or is it just assumed to be locked if I'm seeing signal?

Thanks for your help!

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 02:00:56 AM »
So its either cable or connector for you I guess..
I run my v3 via spdif and only see those messages when something gets unplugged or the v3 is powered down.
So I power up the v3 first, then the dr-680 just to avoid seeing the messages on boot..

kirk97132

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »

Yup. Our 680 didn't work with a USBPre to save our life. Then suddenly.. it works! Three different decks and a lot of fiddling.. yet no rhyme or reason why did/didn't work. :shrug:

As for the USBPre2 not working....I help Sound Devices with beta testing the original patch to fix the SPDIF input on the 680.  ON the older units you instal the patch, I believe the new units are shipping with the patch in place....so I cannot understand why you don't get a lock on the 680 with the Pre2.  Mine works flawlessly. 

Just tried it out and wouldn't you know it... it works! Set everything up and switched it to AES, but still it was "DIN Unlock".
I then jiggled the cable a little bit and the 680 screen changed from "DIN Unlock" to "DIN Lock", but this message stayed up on the screen. I then hit enter as I would have if it said Din Unlock, and I had signal.

I shut everything down and switched it back to SPDIF and hit record/pause again and I still had signal, but no notification of "DIN Lock" this time, the signal came up instantaneously. I switched it back to AES and still I had signal that way also.

My only question now is, should I see "DIN Lock" every time I power up, or is it fine just to see that signal is passing? Is there a way to pass a digital signal through the 680 without it being locked, or is it just assumed to be locked if I'm seeing signal?

Thanks for your help!

IF you power up the 680 AND there is a signal on the SPDIF(AES) input you will NOT see a lock screen.  Don't forget that the default view on those two digital channels is the mix.  You need to go in and change it to Din via the menu in order to ONLY see your digital input.   

IF you power the 680 up and there is  no signal on the SPDIF(AES) input you will get a Din Unlock screen.  That will change to a Din Lock screen as soon as signal is sensed by the 680.  The message needs to be cleared by pushing the enter button on top.

The 680 WILL NOT pass a digital signal without a lock.

It sounds like you either had a bad cable or it was not inserted all the way into the RCA jack. 

Hope that helps.  Remember in a pinch you can use any rca cord to test signal.  And under two feet you are probably ok using anything for the rca cord.....not that I would.   But for testing hell yeah use a known good cord in order to rule out any questionable cord.  I've got a very nice Zaolla solid silver cable in the YS ;D ;D

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 10:30:07 AM »

Thanks for your help!

The "cable jiggle" solution has worked on my PMSII (aka MTII) several times.
The "DIN lock" on the 680 seems to appear when it wants to.  As long as I have signal I hit the red button.  It's always worked.
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

kirk97132

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »

[/quote]

The "cable jiggle" solution has worked on my PMSII (aka MTII) several times.
The "DIN lock" on the 680 seems to appear when it wants to.  As long as I have signal I hit the red button.  It's always worked.
Dave
[/quote]

If you are getting a Din Lock screen during recording it means that the deck lost then reacquired signal.  IF this is happening then there is some issue with the digital input to the 680.  Cable, A>D issue, something that causes the lock to drop out.  this can happen so fast that you will never see a Din Unlock screen.   I had an issue like this when power my Pre2 with a faulty voltage converter.  It would drop and then acquire signal so fast that even while staring at the screen I never saw an Unlock message but if I zoomed in on the waveform I could see the drop in signal.  It was tiny and I had to know where to look or you might never find it if you were not seriously looking for it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.357 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com