Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4  (Read 102628 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #4
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2011, 05:32:30 PM »
Usually on more modern gear (and on higher end older gear - i.e. HHb Portadat) there is a small dime sized battery to keep time and date going.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »
Could there be a setting I have set wrong on the DR680 to cause this?

Apologies for questioning the obvious, but have you confirmed that the input sensitivity switch on top of the deck for channels 1&2 was not accidentally set to high instead of low? or the other switch set to Mic instead of Line?

I've switched those accidentally and it took me a bit to figure out what was going on.
Thanks Gutbucket.

I did check those switches first thing.

When you guys say you carry "lead" instead of a Tekkeon, what batteries are you referring to?
Thanks.

PS: I was thinking I could plug DR680 into the wall socket (instead of using batteries)and see if I get the same results.
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »

When you guys say you carry "lead" instead of a Tekkeon, what batteries are you referring to?
Thanks.

PS: I was thinking I could plug DR680 into the wall socket (instead of using batteries)and see if I get the same results.

Pretty sure 'lead' means sealed lead-acid batteries. 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2011, 09:47:29 AM »

Thanks.

Pretty sure 'lead' means sealed lead-acid batteries.

Yeah, lead = SLA, Sealed Lead Acid batteries
They are heavy, but they work well.

edit to add:

I've been using my DR-680 a lot lately as a bit bucket for cassette transfers. Typically 4-8 hours per day and 4-5 days per week with the 12v SLA as the external power source. I have experienced no problems at all when that 12v SLA battery is charged.
I have also stopped putting NiMH (or any batteries period, for that matter) in the battery tray on the bottom. I'm trying to isolate the problem as much as possible.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:59:43 AM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »

Besides more channels how does the 680 compare to the Edirol R-44 ? They're basically the same price new.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
Hey ethan:

Even though I've had problems I still like my DR-680.
I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of the powering problems some of us are experiencing.

If you read through the DR-680 thread(s) you'll see a persistent string of tapers having problems related to powering their recorders.

Some units have died because they may have gotten too much voltage... Some use DVD batteries and have no problems... some, including me have had problems running their DR-680's with DVD batteries...

I believe that the DR-680 is a great recorder. It sounds good without modification. It can record 6 analog tracks at a time. You can run a SPDIF in to get 8 tracks recording at one time.

I'm sure others can pipe in with more positive and negative things about this recorder...

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2011, 12:55:37 PM »
i have only run mine a few times now and am hoping that the battery geeks 12v battery i am using will not cause any issues. 

<<<<<<crossing my fingers.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2011, 01:00:18 PM »
Besides more channels how does the 680 compare to the Edirol R-44 ? They're basically the same price new.

This is a lightning rod for debate and has been covered in other threads (a few listed below).  From what I've seen, heard and read, the quick rundown is that the 680 is capable of making great recordings and its stock mic pres are as good as/better than the ones on a stock R-44's.  The source of contention appears to be its reliability.  Some owners have reported no problems and that it's a wonderful machine, while others have had a myriad of issues including the S/PDIF not working correctly, powering problems and a channel or the whole deck just crapping out.  As always, YMMV.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=138280.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=140606.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145206.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=149806.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=123284.msg1910944#msg1910944

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »

Thanks for the info.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
I guess I'll toss in here that mine has worked perfectly since i got it, so you don't see me posting about it...
Running v3 spdif input to either channels 5+6 or 7+8, all the channels going, extreme blazing summer festival heat, lines out to second decks, monitoring with headphones, etc.
Its a sweet unit and I've really grown to like the SD card thing now.
I do however consider it important to always run any device at its specified power requirements, which for this deck is 12V (I forget the Wattage/Amperage needs right now) so I use a batterygeek 10-14-88 when house power isn't available.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2011, 01:04:55 PM »
 It is not Tascam's fault that we want to use power supplies that do not supply the specified voltage that is marked directly on the unit itself.  I have sold a large amount of modified units to many TV/film sound people without any problems,  I am not sure what type of powering solutions are being used by these operators.

I did have a problem with a unit I had purchased for myself but again it was being powered with a 9v DVD battery and since have switched what I use. I blame myself for not using the proper power supply. 

I just feel that Tascam is being run through the ringer here for a problem they did not create.  They put out a product that is unrivaled in the amount of features for the price so maybe they cut a corner or two that would not happen if you spent $5000 but I for one sure don't have $5000 for a hobby recorder.  those corners that may have been cut may not cause problems if the instructions with the unit were followed correctly.  12v power means 12v power and if you use anything else then the you must accept the consequences if problems arise.

I still feel this unit is the best choice for a multichannel recorder that is under $1000. 
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline yossi3080

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »
Hey all-sorry if I'm a little off topic here, but it's still DR-680 related.

Just bought NOLAFishwater's DR-680, and looking forward to getting it.  Since he's including his DVD battery and has indicated that it worked like a charm for him, I'm hoping that works well for me.

I'm curious about cases-I have a Portabrace case from my old DA-P1-any chance this thing will fit in there, or is it too big?  Alternatively, anyone have any case recommendations?  Would love to avoid buying a whole new Portabrace case, but will do so if that's the best option...

Thanks,
Yossi

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
I just sent you a PM. gonna have to sell my pegz-3 b/c it doesn't hold the hs-p82

Offline Glenbo_the_Carpathian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
Hi everyone, new taper here!

I've read with interest the previous four sections for the DR 680 but as a newbie I just wanted to re-affirm some problems/queries I'm having with the machine.....

Firstly, I'm not sure I particularly rate the headphone port, I seem to get quite a big disparity between what I think I'm recording on the DR, volume/potential background noise/hiss but then when I bring it into Pro Tools, it sounds quieter and you have to increase the volume in an edit to what I thought I had captured. I've also come across this when working alongside DSLR's, at my end everything seems good but on camera its coming in lower.....should I not trust the DR's headphone port?

Also does anyone have problems with the phantom power switches? Sometimes when I'm only running one mic (boom mic) with phantom power I can hear either a very low hum or intermittent pulse but if I switch on all the phantom switches these noises disappear?

As I am new to the DR I have yet to utilise channels 5&6. To use these do I just need 1/4 inch jacks to female xlr's straight off the shelf?

Generally I think the DR is terrific for the price and am looking forward to doing some fun stuff with it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
Welcome aboard.  I'll start with the fact it is a polarized camp on TS regarding the 680.  Those who love it and those who hate it.  Pretty much no middle ground.  I'm sure there will be those who say run away as fast as you can, and those who can offer outstanding results with no problems.  Skipping over that issue and any related responses about it.......The lack of volume on the headphone jack is a known feature of the 680...I am not sure I understand how you are using your headphone output since it seems to read as if you are using it to monitor level setting?  I'd stick with the meters for level readings.  Granted they are not as easy to read as they could be but once you get used to them I have found them to be pretty accurate.  A ltille surprised that you chose the deck for film due to the lack of wordclock or time code input.  The 1/4" jacks are TRS and can accept the appropriate TRS> XLR adapter but the most common style is too large to run side by side on the deck then there is the amount of weight the adapter plus XLR plug would hang on the input jack.  Can't say I've ever heard of any noise due to phantom powering in any respect so I can't offer any guess as to what you are hearing.
I am on my second 680 love the deck and have had no problems other than ones I have caused.  Good luck and have fun with the deck

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.182 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com