Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 660  (Read 94472 times)

Offline tfs8271

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
Re: Marantz PMD 660
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2006, 02:42:11 PM »

I'm thinking that unless it's a really large PA or small room I'm going to run it in the Off Position.

But I would suggest trying it with the pad on the mics (-10dB). If you have questions I will help if needed.

Love my 660!

+T for the purchase
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2006, 03:00:06 PM »

Edit:  Just looked at the invoice again.  He's calling it a WCM 660.

that must be the "warm" mod.  Did you order the warm mod or the advanced concert mod?

Matt

I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2006, 03:02:30 PM »
The ACW 660 Has Arrived!

I cannot freakin' believe that is going to be my footprint for recording shows.  No external boxes, no external batteries... just THAT!  Holy Cow!  Now if only I got off work before 7PM...

Edit:  Just looked at the invoice again.  He's calling it a WCM 660.

Also when asked about the Pad...

Hmm, the WCM has a massive input overload point but then again, those
mics are ultra hot.  I always suggest using it unless you cannot get
enough gain as that way it is impossible to overload the mic preamps. I
need to do more test before I can suggest you run with it off unless you
switch the 480s to -10dB, then you certainly can run it with MIC ATT set
to off.

I'm thinking that unless it's a really large PA or small room I'm going to run it in the Off Position.

Did you specifically ask for the warm mod? I didn't, and hope I get the regular ACM as a result... don't want warmth right now.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2006, 04:46:25 PM »
He offered it to me... 

We've done listening test after listening test at the HiFi and I've always gone for that Tube-Like Visceral tone time and time again.  He knew that about me and made the suggestion.  If you didn't ask for it you're gettng the ACM which is still a valid Flavor for the Box!

{Edit}

We'll have to try to get together for a show soon so we can do a comparison ACM/WCM since we're both running the AKG in front of it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:48:19 PM by Jammin72 »
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline dcaley

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team Toronto
    • http://www.davecaley.com
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2006, 05:35:08 PM »
been reading up on this thread...looks like i might be in the market for one soon. thanks for all the info guys.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2006, 11:00:29 PM »
He offered it to me... 

We've done listening test after listening test at the HiFi and I've always gone for that Tube-Like Visceral tone time and time again.  He knew that about me and made the suggestion.  If you didn't ask for it you're gettng the ACM which is still a valid Flavor for the Box!

{Edit}

We'll have to try to get together for a show soon so we can do a comparison ACM/WCM since we're both running the AKG in front of it.

Yeah, unfortunately Toronto is a long way from Georgia.. haha.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2006, 11:35:52 PM »
He offered it to me... 

{Edit}

....ummm yep.  Yikes!  I'm in North Carolina Now.... that's sooo much closer!  ::)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2006, 11:41:48 PM »
He offered it to me... 

{Edit}

....ummm yep.  Yikes!  I'm in North Carolina Now.... that's sooo much closer!  ::)

I drove from Miami to Ontario in about 24 hours straight.... from NC to ontario is like 12-13 hours drive..... 15 hours to Toronto... ouch!

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2006, 09:51:46 PM »
Observation #1 on Flash Cards.

The slow Sandisc formats in the machine in a few seconds.  The 80X RiData... over 2 minutes!

From checking format times on the included card I'm guessing that the Sandisc was initially formatted FAT16 while the RiData is FAT 32.

Try different formatting in your PC then do the format in the machine and see if you don't notice a difference!

{Edit}

After formatting the Sandisc in FAT32... I get a longer format time in the machine but nowhere NEAR what the RiData (and suppossedly faster) card takes!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 09:59:05 PM by Jammin72 »

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2006, 11:12:42 PM »

The slow Sandisc formats in the machine in a few seconds.  The 80X RiData... over 2 minutes!

From checking format times on the included card I'm guessing that the Sandisc was initially formatted FAT16 while the RiData is FAT 32.

Try different formatting in your PC then do the format in the machine and see if you don't notice a difference!

{Edit}

After formatting the Sandisc in FAT32... I get a longer format time in the machine but nowhere NEAR what the RiData (and suppossedly faster) card takes!

That's really weird... hey while you're at it with the testing, can you try some recording with your cell phone (if you have one) near the phone.. maybe make some calls, send txt messages... see if it interferes at all...

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2006, 11:53:57 PM »

{Edit}

That's really weird... hey while you're at it with the testing, can you try some recording with your cell phone (if you have one) near the phone.. maybe make some calls, send txt messages... see if it interferes at all...

I'll do that soon.... I've got a festival this weekend that is a priority!!  : )

The RiData is going back to NewEgg... hopefully they'll take -15% towards another Sandisk!

Battery Testing is the current gig!

For Powerex 2500 maH.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2006, 12:00:07 AM »

{Edit}

Same size card?  The 660 formats at fat16, and my 2gb 80x ridata takes less than a minute.
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2006, 12:10:13 AM »

{Edit}

Same size card?  The 660 formats at fat16, and my 2gb 80x ridata takes less than a minute.

I must have a bum card... the RiData 80X literally takes like 5 minutes.  The SanDisk less than 30 seconds.  I'm going to defrag and scandisc the RiData and see if that helps.

It really is odd!

They're both 4GB Cards!

I'm sooooooo glad I ordred a backup!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2006, 12:11:37 AM »

{Edit}

I must have a bum card... the RiData 80X literally takes like 5 minutes.  The SanDisk less than 30 seconds.  I'm going to defrag and scandisc the RiData and see if that helps.

It really is odd!

They're both 4GB Cards!

mine is a 2gb card... did you format again?  Maybe the first format took longer?

Matt

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2006, 12:40:44 AM »

{Edit}

It really is odd!

They're both 4GB Cards!

mine is a 2gb card... did you format again?  Maybe the first format took longer?

Matt

That's what I was hoping... It was formatted quickly because the first format was in the machine...

Nope!

SanDisk 30 seconds or less... RiData 5 minutes plus!

When the battery test is finished I'll try again.  I've defraged and disc checked the card.  We'll see!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com