Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD 660  (Read 94241 times)

Offline paullySC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
Re: Marantz PMD 660
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2006, 01:55:50 PM »
I'm using Sandisc UltraII 2 gig cards. So far they seem fine in my 660 ACM.

paul
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2006, 04:38:08 PM »
More from Doug...

Kingston is emerging as a real problem card with Marantz and Tascam
units. Lexar and Sandisc seem to be not only the most reliable but also
the most quiet. It is looking like the issue is one of users buying
cards that are not recommended by the engineering team that built the
recorders and the result is poor performance. ...Doug

Mind you, I just noted in my previous email to him that my current card is a Sandisc and I'm still experiencing a lot of noise.  Not sure what to make of it, other than he doesn't think it's resolveable.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline aberg

• Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2006, 04:43:05 PM »
Shit, I thought Kingston cards were recommended.. that's what I have, and the one time I used it in the 660, it worked fine.....

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
have you tried recording at maximum levels without mics plugged in (internal mics disabled) to test the self-noise Andrew?  I get a loud ticking, particularly in one channel with the Kingston standard 2gb card.  On the other hand, a lot of users here have good reports of using Kingston cards.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »
have you tried recording at maximum levels without mics plugged in (internal mics disabled) to test the self-noise Andrew?  I get a loud ticking, particularly in one channel with the Kingston standard 2gb card.  On the other hand, a lot of users here have good reports of using Kingston cards.
what makes you think that is the card?

Matt

*edit*  I just read up... seems odd.  I get some of that with my ridata 80x 2gb but I thought that was normal for an unmodded unit.

Matt

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 05:04:10 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2006, 05:04:22 PM »

I'm still waiting on my unit. Will have it in 1.5 weeks... I will try it out then... I have a 45x 4gb Kingston ElitePro.. which I've heard many folks have used with success.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2006, 05:50:50 PM »
Kingston 45X 4GB card here. I've recorded at least 30 times with no problems. I also have a Sandisc 1GB card and have seen no problems....................................except when I forgot to remove the caps from my mics. It sounded real muffled almost like you were in a jar.  ;)
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2006, 06:09:20 PM »
Kingston 45X 4GB card here. I've recorded at least 30 times with no problems. I also have a Sandisc 1GB card and have seen no problems....................................except when I forgot to remove the caps from my mics. It sounded real muffled almost like you were in a jar.  ;)

HAHA. Reminds me of my buddy who ran his 4060's for the first time a few years back and pointed them in the wrong direction!

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2006, 08:59:21 PM »
what makes you think that is the card?

Matt

*edit*  I just read up... seems odd.  I get some of that with my ridata 80x 2gb but I thought that was normal for an unmodded unit.

Matt

I should point out that my unit is unmodded, and I can only hear this jacking the knobs all up.  I attached an mp3 sample to show what I'm getting... maybe it is worse or better than others... we should probably compare.
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2006, 11:13:58 PM »
the ticking is what I'm talking about. Audible in your sample as well.  That's the sound attributed to your CF card. My Kingston card creates similar noise. On my SanDisc card there is quite a bit less (sample attached), but it's still enough to be audible on quiet segments of acoustic shows being recorded at high gain.  I've had that problem fairly frequently.  If you're strictly recording rock bands it's unlikely to be an issue, but unamplified jazz is a different story. 

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2006, 11:39:14 PM »
Are we running a recorded file with no XLRs plugged in?...I will try it later when I get some feedback from all of you.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2006, 01:47:04 AM »
Are we running a recorded file with no XLRs plugged in?...I will try it later when I get some feedback from all of you.

I should note I ran xlr in, no cables/mics, no pad, knobs full up.

Matt

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2006, 09:16:48 AM »
I'll have to check this out too when my unit arrives.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2006, 09:29:10 AM »

Matt

matt, I ran with pad engaged, which might explain some of the noise level difference. Also, the ACM vs. standard model noise levels should be different. 

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2006, 09:34:09 AM »

Matt

matt, I ran with pad engaged, which might explain some of the noise level difference. Also, the ACM vs. standard model noise levels should be different. 

yes... I'm sure that made a difference.  However, I stuck an old 128Mb flash card in there and the noise wasn't as apparent so I'm thinking my card is part culprit.  Still seems odd though with no moving parts and all...

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com