Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**  (Read 83345 times)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Houston
Re: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2005, 04:37:20 PM »
All of Germany will soon figure out just how much Budweiser sucks. They are the world cup sponsor, and will be the only beer served at the 2006 World Cup. I'm alREAdy hanging my head in shame for what they will say about "The King of Beers." Methinks the riots will be about the beer served....

Does Bud even meet the purity laws?  Can you actually call it a beer?

Offline MattinSTL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2005, 06:42:39 PM »
Aww c'mon, you can't tell me that if you go on the Brewery Tour and get your free two glasses of Bud at the end that it doesn't taste good... you get two 10 oz. glasses and you are F-ed up.

Yes, I'm in Saint Louis... hence the ATO code STL... and for local flavor I like Trailhead's Missouri Brown... I'm also a big fan of Guiness. I guess I just like darker beers the best... but Schlafley Pale Ale is pretty good too. Then again... I also like the Heifweissen... the cloudy, unfiltered beer with a slightly sweet taste. Jeez... now you guys have me freakin' for beer... that's sad.

Okay so how do we get back to the MicroTrack?

I already said that guygraphics.com has 'em for $349 plus $6.67 shipping... and did I add that you can get a Kingston Elite Pro 4 GB compact flash card (45x or 8 mb write and 10 mb read) from newegg.com for $213.56 shipped?

Did you also see my opening post that says the MicroTracks have SHIPPED from M-Audio already? I've been emailing back and forth with Jace at M-Audio and he's keeping me posted on this stuff. The only question I still have is if that Kingston card is any good... but I hope it is 'cause it's on the way!

And finally how do you guys plan to use it? What's the best place to get XLR to 1/4" adapters... or will you get cables with XLR at the mic and 1/4" at the MicroTrack?

Also do you plan to use the MicroTrack as a total stand-alone or will you feed it with a mixer/pre-amp? I've got a Sound Devices MM-1 that I plan to still use and feed the MicroTrack line-in... but that might be pointless... I guess we'll find out when it gets here.
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2005, 06:55:14 PM »
mattin - you should check out the "Team St.  Louis"  thread and introduce yourself.  There's a few of us here in St. Louis and we get to tape together semi-frequently.  +T  glad to see we have another member of Team St. Louis :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2005, 07:04:56 PM »
 bud...
my brotherinlaw calls it "red deliceous"  :)
the curiosity  is that it tastes the same and is equaly enjoyable at any temperature

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2005, 07:07:48 PM »
Thanks! I'm always glad to meet people with same interests.

Hey I also need to correct a bit of misinformation I have above... just by searching these threads I see that I coulda' got that Kingston card for $13 LESS by going to Dell.com and using coupon code: BSKWNFLX$9B704

That will get you the Kingston 4 GB card for $200.08 shipped. On the Dell site it says that coupon expires on the 15th of this month.

So is everybody else in Team STL getting a MicroTrack? Also wondering if anybody in Team STL has high-end recorders like Sound Devices stuff? Or Deva?
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2005, 07:21:09 PM »
i have a SD722.  i think Steve(fobstl) is looking into getting a MicroTracker.  not sure about scottt. I think he's sticking with the JB3 for now.

check in our team thread and let us know when you'll be out recording.  I know steve, scott, and myself have very similar tastes in music so we find ourselves taping together for a lot of the bigger shows in town.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 01:22:12 PM by Brian Sax »

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2005, 08:25:57 PM »
I hope you guys don't mind getting me up to speed, as it were.

In the video forums I feel like a resident pro... and although audio for video is my passion... I feel totally out of place here. I don't have any experience with special recorders outside of a Marantz 670. I don't even know what's good or not... it's the MicroTrack that got me here... and it's clearly a "starter" jobbie... (that I hope will be good enough for my needs).

The SD72 isn't like the Sound Devices 722 is it? If that's the case then yeah, I'm a little ways under you guys! I hope you're of the opinion that the MicroTrack will be able to at least approach a respectable recording... even if it's not on the level of the "really pro" stuff.

BUT, I know in the audio for video forums that people pop in all the time and they want to hear that a $200 mic is as good as a $1000 mic... I don't want to sound like one of those people.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 08:30:18 PM by MattinSTL »

Ray76

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2005, 09:26:02 PM »
I hope you guys don't mind getting me up to speed, as it were.

In the video forums I feel like a resident pro... and although audio for video is my passion... I feel totally out of place here. I don't have any experience with special recorders outside of a Marantz 670. I don't even know what's good or not... it's the MicroTrack that got me here... and it's clearly a "starter" jobbie... (that I hope will be good enough for my needs).

The SD72 isn't like the Sound Devices 722 is it? If that's the case then yeah, I'm a little ways under you guys! I hope you're of the opinion that the MicroTrack will be able to at least approach a respectable recording... even if it's not on the level of the "really pro" stuff.

BUT, I know in the audio for video forums that people pop in all the time and they want to hear that a $200 mic is as good as a $1000 mic... I don't want to sound like one of those people.

Yeah, he meant 722. I think the vast majority of these folks here have high hopes that it will be the replacement for DAT and will be an answered prayer. . I think all of them though are hanging on to their PRES and A/Ds because the idea is that for 399 bucks it may not be good as an all-in one. Itll only be as good as the mics and the user. Welcome buddy. Theres a ton of info here, a goldmine for all things taping related, and on any other subject you ask about. We have lawyers, engineers, sound techs, A/V guys, musicians, doctors, insurance reps, military folks...pretty much run the gamut ..so youve come to the right place. Good luck man.

+T teddy

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2005, 03:56:31 AM »
One thing I was wondering about, why do all you people keep calling this thing a MicroTracker (even the subject of this 4th thread!), when M-Audio has named it 'MicroTrack 24/96'?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2005, 04:27:49 AM »
One thing I was wondering about, why do all you people keep calling this thing a MicroTracker (even the subject of this 4th thread!), when M-Audio has named it 'MicroTrack 24/96'?
Maybe because the original name was flash tracker?
Also there may be lingo-related reasons rfor using tracker instead of track?

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2005, 12:06:02 PM »
For those of you who ordered from djmart, where it used to say "usually ships in 2-3 weeks" it now says "usually ships in 5-7 days". Either they just got a shipment or are expecting one very soon!

I'm still hoping I get it by thursday for use friday. Apparently, it must be charged 6.5 hours before first use.

Anyone get a shipping notification for theirs yet?

I also ordered from DJMart and waiting for the shipment notfication.  My gut feeling is DJMart will be receiving their shipment either Monday or Tuesday as the company is located in the Los Angeles area where M-Audio has their distribution center, so it should only take a day for them to receive the shipment.    GuyGraphics.com also has a shipping warehouse in L.A., and they're receiving their shipment of Microtracks on Monday.

DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2005, 02:06:24 PM »
Maybe because the original name was flash tracker?
Also there may be lingo-related reasons rfor using tracker instead of track?

Its just something that we got used to.  Hell it's probably my fault not using the offical name.  Toma-to, To-mato

Actually its almost kinda like First Snow - Party At Your Mama's House   You just get used to what you first started calling it.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2005, 02:28:46 PM »
Three Newb Questions for you all:

(1) Does the UA5 supply phantom? Is a UA5 both a Pre and an A/D? Or do I need a seperate A/D with a UA5? Next, can you still buy new UA5's digimodded from Oade? Last, can the UA5 do 24/96?

(2) So, if the MT works out, this setup would probably be a pretty good one (maybe not as good as a V3, but pretty good nonetheless): C4 > UA5 > MT. I should be able to do 24/96 with that chain shouldn't I? Anyway, I think this might end up being my first rig. The C4s are economical but still pretty good, the UA5 is also economical, pretty good, has pre/ad/phantom/digi-outs (I think?), but the MT is still unproven, but shouldn't have too much trouble taking a straight digi input (you'd think). So, what do you guys think of this plan as a (slightly more serious) starter rig?

(3) I'm somewhat torn about the MT because I'm thinking if the MT works out well, I'll bet a bunch of used JB3s in good condition become available on the secondary market at really good prices. If that does happen, maybe a newbie like myself is better off going with a JB3 out of the gate rather than the MT. The downside is 16-bit only (I think), but the upside is a proven piece of hardware that has been field-tested a bunch and also that it has a big HD. Seems like a tough decision, because I'd rather get it right out of the gate than just end up wanting an MT a month later. Thoughts?

Thanks...

« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 02:31:34 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2005, 02:47:56 PM »

(1) Does the UA5 supply phantom? Is a UA5 both a Pre and an A/D? Or do I need a seperate A/D with a UA5? Next, can you still buy new UA5's digimodded from Oade? Last, can the UA5 do 24/96?

(2) So, if the MT works out, this setup would probably be a pretty good one (maybe not as good as a V3, but pretty good nonetheless): C4 > UA5 > MT. I should be able to do 24/96 with that chain shouldn't I? Anyway, I think this might end up being my first rig. The C4s are economical but still pretty good, the UA5 is also economical, pretty good, has pre/ad/phantom/digi-outs (I think?), but the MT is still unproven, but shouldn't have too much trouble taking a straight digi input (you'd think). So, what do you guys think of this plan as a (slightly more serious) starter rig?

(3) I'm somewhat torn about the MT because I'm thinking if the MT works out well, I'll bet a bunch of used JB3s in good condition become available on the secondary market at really good prices. If that does happen, maybe a newbie like myself is better off going with a JB3 out of the gate rather than the MT. The downside is 16-bit only (I think), but the upside is a proven piece of hardware that has been field-tested a bunch and also that it has a big HD. Seems like a tough decision, because I'd rather get it right out of the gate than just end up wanting an MT a month later. Thoughts?

1. the UA5 is a preamp and a/d and it can provide phantom power if needed. you will need a digimod to use without a computer(ie, run digitally directly to dat, mt, etc...) I'm almost fairly certain the Oade has sold out of their stock of UA5. they should still mod units originally purchased from Oade.yes, the UA5 can output 24/96.
2. yes, the C4 > UA5 > MT should be a very decent rig.
3. yes the JB3 is 16bit only. it should also be noted that the JB3 has been discontinued(for how long I'm not sure) so in the future it may be dificult to repair. JB3 vs MT is ultimately up to you. with the MT you will be able to instantly upgrade to 24/96 when your home playback is ready. myself, I will still cary a M1(dat) with me for the time being(at least until the MT has proven itself reliable) and will probably run the MT @ 16bit for the near future.

the water's clean and innocent

Ray76

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2005, 03:16:27 PM »

Thanks...

Id say get the JB3, get a feel for taping...let all the folks here be guinea pigs.for the MT..you may decide that you dont even like taping 6 months from now...so why spend more if you dont even know if youre going to be digging it? (and I got the same questions too when I bought the 722...luckily..the bug bit me hard)..seriously,,,id suggest picking up that combo from Great Gumbino..cuz youd have an OADE mod ua5 and c4s..which both keep their value...oade ua5 especially since they dont sell them anymore. plus the ua5 gives you ability to run two mics, AND a board feed into the back (matrix). I wouldnt buy an MT till after a few months of people running it...after firmware updates..bug fixes, etc...plus with the jb3...youve got a ton of people here with plenty of experience running them...troubleshooting will be a breeze here..then upgrade after youve gotten a groove established..another thing about MT...do you have a playback system that would justify the 24/96 jump right off the bat??I didnt..and its hurting me..so Im building one now...

my vote is PMOD ua5/c4s from Great Gumbino and a jb3. oh and a SVU2 or 1(level meter)
upgrade later.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com