Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**  (Read 83359 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: M-Audio MicroTracker details **PART IV**
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2005, 07:16:02 PM »
As always around here, great advice from everyone. Thanks a lot for answering my questions. This website has been a godsend from the very first day I found it back a few weeks. Like any smart newb, after reading tons of old posts here (and elsewhere), it seems I've learned more than I thought I would have by now. So thanks again for that...

>you may decide that you dont even like taping 6 months from now.

Thing is, I've got a pretty major investment ($$) in guerilla VIDEO gear already (kinda like the hardcore tapers around here have with audio gear), and the new audio gear I purchase is really intended to complement my video setup, but I also want to get something that can work as a stand alone audio recording setup too. So anyway, point is, I'm already gone when it comes to being in to this shit video-wise, but the pro audio taping side of things is an area I'm weak in that I'm looking to build out in my "toolkit" of gear. I'm looking at it as a long-term investment. So that's why I would consider just going for it with the MT. On the other hand, I hear you on all your points, and considering there might be a few on the market and I'm probably going to run 16-bit anyway, the JB3 makes a lot of sense (and is much cheaper than 400+200=600 for a working MT). I'm torn. But, we'll see how it holds up over the next few weeks, and then I'll decide. :)

>AND a board feed into the back (matrix).

So are there 3 seperate inputs/tracks on the UA5? Or can you mix two channels or something? How does that work? Or are you talking about the two extra tracks of 16/48 I can get out of my videocam?

>plus with the jb3...youve got a ton of people here with plenty of experience running them

That's a really good point. But it this MT works out, it looks like even a newb like me could easily run the thing? Again, tough call... <SMILE>

> do you have a playback system that would justify the 24/96 jump right off the bat??

I've got a sweet home theatre setup with a pretty cherry DVD player that can upres to 720p and I'm pretty sure it can play SACD, but I've never tried it before. Is SACD 24-bit? I have a fully-dialed 5.1 surround system that can play DD and DTS. Are DD/DTS 24-bit? Help me out here. A normal CD runs at 16/44 or 16/48 or something like that? What does SACD run at? And are there other formats, something like DVD-A. What's the difference? Right now, I can also burn full res widscreen NTSC DV video to DVDs using AC3 files for the sound. It usually sounds great. Can AC3 play 24 bit?

Also, I, like you, also plan on running mostly 16/48 for the near term because my videocam runs audio at 16/48, and it just makes things a little easier in post to have the same formats when mixing different audio sources. And since CD's run in 16-bit and the file sizes are smaller, I'll probably just stick to 16-bit for now. But it would be fun to have the potential to dabble in 24-bit stuff here and there I think. If I go the UA5>MT route, I could do that, but if I go the UA5>JB3 route, I couldn't. Such a tough call, because I am REALISTIC about the fact that I'll mostly cap 16-bit.

my vote is PMOD ua5/c4s from Great Gumbino and a jb3. oh and a SVU2 or 1(level meter)

What is the "P" mod anyway. I barely undstand all of that. I know there is the transparent mod, the warm mod, plus mods... Also, that's another thing, albeit a small thing, is the level meter. Maybe, just maybe the MT's levels are going to be awesome? That'd be one more reason to just splurge on it now, rather than go JB3 > upgrade path? Hmmm... :0

If I could +T you guys, I would in a heartbeat. Thanks again, you've given me more food for thought. I'm itching to start buying stuff, and I'm getting really close, but I'm not quite there in terms of exactly what gear I want to buy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 07:20:02 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline MattinSTL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2005, 07:29:23 PM »
Hey I've read some concerns that people may have regarding compact flash compatibility and I emailed Jace at M-Audio to get a report on that... here's what he said:

From all of the testing we've done, you should be able to use almost
anything.  Higher speeds are not required.
Jace

So the $200 Kensington 4 GB CF that we're all getting should be absolutely fine. Now I hope the rumors of Dell shipping slow are just that... rumors!
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2005, 08:12:17 PM »
Got my card from Dell in about 5 days.
              jerry
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2005, 08:22:03 PM »
Same here- it was inexpensive and quick turn. The problem I had was in using it with my HP Ipaq H5555 (another 'satisfied' PD-Audio customer ;-)  and my Ipaq was looking for a driver. When I called Kinston they stated that it isn't compatable- weird. I then Called HP and they weren't aware of any specific vendor limitation, so I'm doing the rope a dope unless I go with their Sandisk recommendation (HP's). Anyway, I'll have to wait for the MT to get in hopefully from Cascasde  this coming week to see how it works. I'll keep it if it does work with the MT and just shine my PD-Audio if this thing works as speculated. I've had too many issues with trying to get 24/96 out of the PD-Audio, and now seeing that the best I can consistently get is 24/88.2 this should be an upgrade to a very frustrating experience with PD-Audio.

Got my card from Dell in about 5 days.
              jerry
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2005, 08:45:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys... I definitely wondered if I should have tried the PDAudio thing out first... and I've read too many compaints about various issues.

In case you didn't realize... all the quotes I'm putting up signed "jace" are from Jace Nuzback... the product manager for M-Audio... so if he says "no worries" on the compatibility issue then I'd say don't worry about it... I'm sure the CF cards (we all ordered) will be fine.
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Ray76

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2005, 08:59:24 PM »
As always around here, great advice from everyone. Thanks a lot for answering my questions. This website has been a godsend from the very first day I found it back a few weeks. Like any smart newb, after reading tons of old posts here (and elsewhere), it seems I've learned more than I thought I would have by now. So thanks again for that... .

No problem...im glad to help out...paying it forward i guess.im in my own pickle right now..know how it is.

Thing is, I've got a pretty major investment ($$) in guerilla VIDEO gear already (kinda like the hardcore tapers around here have with audio gear), and the new audio gear I purchase is really intended to complement my video setup, but I also want to get something that can work as a stand alone audio recording setup too. So anyway, point is, I'm already gone when it comes to being in to this shit video-wise, but the pro audio taping side of things is an area I'm weak in that I'm looking to build out in my "toolkit" of gear. I'm looking at it as a long-term investment. So that's why I would consider just going for it with the MT. On the other hand, I hear you on all your points, and considering there might be a few on the market and I'm probably going to run 16-bit anyway, the JB3 makes a lot of sense (and is much cheaper than 400+200=600 for a working MT). I'm torn. But, we'll see how it holds up over the next few weeks, and then I'll decide. :)

yeah, true there..you know already how much of an addiction hobbies can be.

So are there 3 seperate inputs/tracks on the UA5? Or can you mix two channels or something? How does that work? Or are you talking about the two extra tracks of 16/48 I can get out of my videocam?

there are two normal XLR inputs on the front of the box...and two RCA(I think it is RCA) inputs in the back..so you can run a board patch or two additional mics into those ..just need the correct adapters..those inputs on the back are controlled by one TINY gain pot ..and it can be problematic...there is a gain pot mod though..just type it in search

That's a really good point. But it this MT works out, it looks like even a newb like me could easily run the thing? Again, tough call... <SMILE>

true.. but if its a POS..youve just lost more dough. youll have to deal with the hassle of sending it back..then trying to get another recorder, etc...the jb3 is proven.

. Is SACD 24-bit? DD and DTS. Are DD/DTS 24-bit? Help me out here.  What does SACD run at? And are there other formats, something like DVD-A. What's the difference? Right now, I can also burn full res widscreen NTSC DV video to DVDs using AC3 files for the sound. It usually sounds great. Can AC3 play 24 bit?
SACD uses DSD encoding(direct stream digital: 1-bit technology that samples music at the rate of 2.82 million times per second, compared to standard CD's rate of 44,100 times per second)
DD(dolby digital) and dts(dolby theatre system) are both compressed formats...so no..they arent 24 bits..
DVD-A doesnt use any sort of compression...24/96 format..you can get audio dvd creator and create a disk that can be played on any dvd a capable plaer.(type in audio dvd creator in google)
AC3 is compressed. No 24 bit. CDs are 16/44.1

What is the "P" mod anyway. I barely undstand all of that. I know there is the transparent mod, the warm mod, plus mods... Also, that's another thing, albeit a small thing, is the level meter. Maybe, just maybe the MT's levels are going to be awesome? That'd be one more reason to just splurge on it now, rather than go JB3 > upgrade path? Hmmm... :0

Presence mod...gives it a more "up front in your face sort of sound..Noone knows about the MT meters..maybe they will rock..maybe the whole thing will be a POS. An assumption doesnt sound like a good reason to splurge to me...none of us know much about it. once again..jb3 is proven...the MT will still be around.(getting bugs worked out maybe)..the jb3 wont after a while...and as it is proven...and supposing the MT isnt...what then???

If I could +T you guys, I would in a heartbeat. Thanks again, you've given me more food for thought. I'm itching to start buying stuff, and I'm getting really close, but I'm not quite there in terms of exactly what gear I want to buy.

none needed. They dont mean anything.
Id get the ua5 and c4s bud...
somebody else will if you dont...you gotta be quick round here.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 09:01:04 PM by BigRay »

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2005, 09:11:52 PM »
M-AUDIO has said there will be a firmware release at somepoint to address a 2gb limit. We just don't know if that's already happened, or if it's in the future....

I don't have time or patience to read back through 5,000 MicroTracker posts, but I feel the need to chip in with some caveat emptor action. Given my past personal experience with M-Audio, this comment above regarding a future firmware upgrade troubles me. I called them to try and solve a driver issue when I bought a DiO 2448 years ago...Their customer service in that instance was, shall we say, quite underwhelming. And IMHO the software packages for the M-Audio products I've used (2448 and 2496) are clunky at best, maddening and unreliable at worst. I'll probably end up owning one of these things someday :-\, but I find it hard to imagine that M-Audio is going to get this product to market wthout some performance hiccups. (As is par for the course in this field.) Hope I'm off base on this. Just my 2 beans in the pot. But I hope it provides some motivation for people to think about running backup devices, if possible for a while. I hate losing good pulls.
Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2005, 09:57:16 PM »
M-AUDIO has said there will be a firmware release at somepoint to address a 2gb limit. We just don't know if that's already happened, or if it's in the future....

I don't have time or patience to read back through 5,000 MicroTracker posts, but I feel the need to chip in with some caveat emptor action. Given my past personal experience with M-Audio, this comment above regarding a future firmware upgrade troubles me. I called them to try and solve a driver issue when I bought a DiO 2448 years ago...Their customer service in that instance was, shall we say, quite underwhelming. And IMHO the software packages for the M-Audio products I've used (2448 and 2496) are clunky at best, maddening and unreliable at worst. I'll probably end up owning one of these things someday :-\, but I find it hard to imagine that M-Audio is going to get this product to market wthout some performance hiccups. (As is par for the course in this field.) Hope I'm off base on this. Just my 2 beans in the pot. But I hope it provides some motivation for people to think about running backup devices, if possible for a while. I hate losing good pulls.

I think a lot of folks here are planning on running two sources up until their satisfied with the results of the MT. I myself will be splitting the line out of my Lemosax and running both the MT and my M1. I don't think anyone will risk loosing a good pull on an unproven machine just yet.
dB-

CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »
I don't think anyone will risk loosing a good pull on an unproven machine just yet.

Plus, my experience has been that it really takes a few shows under your belt with new gear to get a handle on how to run it to get the best performance from it.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2005, 11:06:31 PM »
interesting article i found:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable/hitting-rec-with-a-dap-124875.php

That new iPod Nano is cute and all, but high-quality recording capability is still missing, meaning you can’t record your band / DJ set / podcast / Phish concert. :yack: The iPodLinux project helps out “vintage” iPod owners, but it’s still lagging when it comes to support for minis and 4G iPods, let alone Nanos. So, what’s the perfect solution for recording mic, line, and digital ins as lossless media?

You could plug your iPod Nano (or any other USB player, hard drive, or USB key) into Gemini’s new iKey, but it’s big,clunky, costs $200, and still won’t record digital in or mics. The best candidate for the moment is the M-Audio MicroTrack 2496, which became available this summer (previously on Gizmodo).
Of course, the real question is why Apple hasn’t added this capability, when at least line in is available on competitors. Mic input would be tricky, line in and digital in are a cinch. Come on, Apple. Sure, the record industry might gripe, but just unleash celebs like U2, Black Eyed Peas, BT, and Madonna on them. I bet they’d love a recording iPod. -P. Kirn
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2005, 11:29:31 PM »
DVD-A doesnt use any sort of compression...24/96 format..you can get audio dvd creator and create a disk that can be played on any dvd a capable plaer.(type in audio dvd creator in google)
DVD-A's can have MLP compression (lossless), especially in multi-channel recordings, to save space and/or keep the bitrate low enough.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2005, 06:23:45 AM »
jeesh, the MT threads are going to start giving the team colorado threads a run for their money.  i skip a weekend and i'm 10 pages behind.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Ray76

« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2005, 08:39:17 AM »
DVD-A's can have MLP compression (lossless), especially in multi-channel recordings, to save space and/or keep the bitrate low enough.

yep youre right. thanks for the correction.

Teddy

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2005, 08:57:30 AM »

2448 years ago...

Awesome.  What were you recording, location stuff for the Peloponnesian War?  ;D

Jeff

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2005, 10:02:30 AM »
While we're waiting for more Real News...  (anyone heard from Frank, btw?)

Samsung has announced their 16 gigabit flash chips.  Expect 32 GB flash cards in the second half of 2006.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050912_000100.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com