Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New improved microtrack (MT II)  (Read 137600 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New improved microtrack
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 11:49:05 PM »
jtessier - if you don't work for them anymore, are you at liberty to talk about what they have changed/added/removed in the new MT 2.0?

Or the reasons given why some things wern't implemented in version 1, like the autosplit?

the autosplit couldn't be done
something to do with the buffer i want to say
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jtessier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2007, 05:05:15 PM »
jtessier - if you don't work for them anymore, are you at liberty to talk about what they have changed/added/removed in the new MT 2.0?

Unfortunetaly I can't really say anything too specific. I'm still bound by a non disclosure agreement I signed when I was hired and M-Audio was nice enough to offer a fair severance package so I owe it even more to them not to pull back the curtain too far.

John

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2007, 05:29:05 PM »

Unfortunetaly I can't really say anything too specific. I'm still bound by a non disclosure agreement I signed when I was hired and M-Audio was nice enough to offer a fair severance package so I owe it even more to them not to pull back the curtain too far.

John

I'm really impressed that Maudio was following web forums like this.  That's great.  Companies could learn a lot from us tapers.  If nothing else, we're good at torturing gear and finding bugs, lol.  And it is free information, too  :).

By the way, do you know anything about other Maudio gear?  Are you allowed to disclose?  In particular, I'm wondering which USB/Firewire interfaces have the INA series preamp chips in them.  I bought an Maudio Duo and was happy to see +-15V and INA163 inside.  How about the MobilePre or the Fast Track Pro or the Firewire interfaces?  Any of those have INA chips in them?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2007, 05:47:55 PM »

To improve? Lots!

1) Fix all the bugs of version 1
2) True 48v Phantom Power
3) User replaceable battery
4) XLR and/or neutrik combo inputs
5) Make it more rugged, ie metal
6) Better pre's that can handle higher SPL's and line level
7) And yes, seamless 2gb file splits

Here is your new Microtrack V2, with all of the requested fixes:

4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »

To improve? Lots!

1) Fix all the bugs of version 1
2) True 48v Phantom Power
3) User replaceable battery
4) XLR and/or neutrik combo inputs
5) Make it more rugged, ie metal
6) Better pre's that can handle higher SPL's and line level
7) And yes, seamless 2gb file splits

;D ;D ;D ;D

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2007, 11:36:30 PM »

Wow!  All that for $300!  I hope they have a trade in option too! 

:cheers:
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »
honestly .... whats the point of finding out the cause of a discontinued decks short comings?
can't fix them. 

Roving Sign

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »
honestly .... whats the point of finding out the cause of a discontinued decks short comings?
can't fix them. 

huh?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 12:26:33 PM »

I think people like to have an understanding of the underlying design issues.

For instance, I would like to know why they claim that they can't support seamless 2G splits.   In my estimation, the only reason is that they don't know how to properly queue preallocated files.  It's non-trivial but it isn't rocket science.  FWIW, I'm currently involved with an embedded FS port, it's like my fifth FS port, and the current project the FS supports high rate media stream RW with split file objects near 30GB in size.  So I have a clear idea of how to use preallocation strategies to optimize file split operations with an extremely tight cycle and buffer budget.  However, I might be missing something in my analysis of the MT issue so I'd really like to know what their explanation is.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 08:54:10 PM »

Or the reasons given why some things wern't implemented in version 1, like the autosplit?

Mostly horsepower of the processor compounded by the developmental firmware from the chip maker that the firmware was based on.  The original firmware that M-Audio was given to work with was never intended by the chip maker to do wav files. The chip was designed with MP3 players/recorders in mind.  M-Audio expanded that on their own because they saw it had the power to do so.  But it was late in the game that the issue was discovered and going back and re-architecting the entire firmware on the 'hope' that they could make it work wasn't justifiable from a business perspective given that it was no guarantee that it could be made to be seemless.

John

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:29 PM »

John

I'm really impressed that Maudio was following web forums like this.  That's great.  Companies could learn a lot from us tapers.  If nothing else, we're good at torturing gear and finding bugs, lol.  And it is free information, too  :).

By the way, do you know anything about other Maudio gear?  Are you allowed to disclose?  In particular, I'm wondering which USB/Firewire interfaces have the INA series preamp chips in them.  I bought an Maudio Duo and was happy to see +-15V and INA163 inside.  How about the MobilePre or the Fast Track Pro or the Firewire interfaces?  Any of those have INA chips in them?

Richard

Boy, if I were still there I probably could find out but I never kept that kind of info in my head (too many other things rattling around in there already).

Sorry,

John

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »
Mostly horsepower of the processor compounded by the developmental firmware from the chip maker that the firmware was based on.  The original firmware that M-Audio was given to work with was never intended by the chip maker to do wav files. The chip was designed with MP3 players/recorders in mind.  M-Audio expanded that on their own because they saw it had the power to do so.  But it was late in the game that the issue was discovered and going back and re-architecting the entire firmware on the 'hope' that they could make it work wasn't justifiable from a business perspective given that it was no guarantee that it could be made to be seemless.

John

This is the kind of explanation that puzzles me.  Raw WAV capture is less cycle intensive than MP3 encoding.  Seamless splits should not require any sort of work that would be considered rearchitecting.  It's simply a matter of preallocating a series of 2G cluster chains in anticipation of recording and then initializing the active wave header to indicate a 2G wave file.  Those cycles can be spent during power on media initialization so that record latency is not incurred.  When recording is stopped, the SW just clean ups the last active wave header to indicate proper length before preallocating a new chain.  The overhead of a few additional file descriptors in memory is pretty small.

The business issues I can understand.  They sold enough units with the flaw to not see a market justification for fixing it and I've debugged enough vendor code to understand that can be an expensive hassle.

Can you share what core the device uses?  Is it an ASIC or commodity processor?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mlind

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2007, 09:06:49 AM »
If the people who wrote the rockbox program can get an mp3 player to record perfectly, I imagine they could do some great stuff with a mt 24/96. That could mean a second life for the original microtrack.

You can help that to happen:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/NewPort

Firstly: Take it apart and scan the PCBs.

Then go here:
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?board=16.0

Do anybody here know anything about the inside of the MT yet?

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2007, 11:26:34 AM »
not 100% sure, but Rockbox does not do 24 bit recording,

so what would it do that the Micro' currently doesn't do (assuming the m-tracker does 16 bit solidly?)

?>FR2LE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com