Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My new Schoeps mid-side setup  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
My new Schoeps mid-side setup
« on: April 09, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
I bought the AMS22 "double cradle" from Jerry at Posthorn in NYC...
then used the ring of an older AT8441 shockmount that I had around, and figured out a decent pattern to tie up the AMS22.

It looks pretty good, IMO...although I need a couple new bands as these ones are old and starting rip.

It's not too wide, but I do think it will take a little spacer in the windtech clamp I have if I were to clamp it to a stand.

Anyway, the AMS22 cost $24.85, so this is a hell of a lot cheaper option than the OEM schoeps shock setup.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:50:46 PM by Jamos »

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Re: My new Schoeps mid-side setup
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 04:42:50 PM »
sexy!
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »
Very nice!  Where did you get the elastic cord?  I am also making a homebrew M/S mount and the only thing I lack is the stretch cord.

Any help?

THanks,

Kevin
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Alexandru Petrescu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »
I bought the AMS22 from Jerry at Posthorn in NYC...
then used an older AT8441 shockmount that I had around, and figured out a decent pattern to tie up the AMS22.

It looks pretty good, IMO...although I need a couple new bands as these ones are old and starting rip.

It's not too wide, but I do think it will take a little spacer in the windtech clamp I have if I were to clamp it to a stand.

Anyway, the AMS22 cost $24.85, so this is a hell of a lot cheaper option than the OEM schoeps shock setup.

So you removed the body support from AMS22 and attached it to AT8441 shockmount (replacing AT8441's support)?  Is this in order to obtain better shock dampening, presumably because the sustaining bands are longer?

And what is the OEM schoeps shock setup?  I thought that's the ams22...

(asking while waiting for my ams22...)

Alex

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
You got it Moke...any outdoor supply store should carry it.  Look for it with the climbing rope accessories.

And Petrescu, I purchased just the "double cradle" part of the AMS 22, which by itself cost $24.85.  The entire AMS 22 looks like it sells for $229.  I just tied up the double cradle inside the ring of my old shock.

The whole AMS 22 is really similar, except the ring is a bit smaller and the string pattern is different.

I'm sure many other cheapo shock mount rings would work just as well as my AT one did.

:D

Very nice!  Where did you get the elastic cord?  I am also making a homebrew M/S mount and the only thing I lack is the stretch cord.

Any help?

THanks,

Kevin

rei or other camping supply center. Its on bulk reels at like 20ยข.ft.

Offline KLowe

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
I also have the AMS22.  I am going to fab a few ghetto jobs for some folks around here but will be using PVC pipe painted black and ordering the clip from posthorn.  I'll post detailed pics of the AMS 22 ring and holes for the stretch cord.  It is really an amazingly simple design that is very easy to fabricate at home.  Maybe Mark can make a metal ring instead of PVC pipe since he has access to a full service metal shop.

I'll post the pics of the AMS22 in a bit.

K
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 03:10:54 AM »
I am having success with a used Shure vertical mic holder and two Shure donut mic clips.  I can manuevre them into alignment with minimal separation, like 1/2 inch.  It works, and I already had the gear.

I find that being able to vary the M-S ratio is sweet as it allows me to adjust the recorded field to what I actually have before me.  I can draw the center forward or make it recede, in effect and the MS works very well in close.  It is aklso great for a Q&D setup: hard to screw up.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »
I also have the AMS22.  I am going to fab a few ghetto jobs for some folks around here but will be using PVC pipe painted black and ordering the clip from posthorn.  I'll post detailed pics of the AMS 22 ring and holes for the stretch cord.  It is really an amazingly simple design that is very easy to fabricate at home.  Maybe Mark can make a metal ring instead of PVC pipe since he has access to a full service metal shop.

K

I would be very careful about using paint on PVC as it will rub off onto the mics during placement/removal.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline KLowe

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »

K

I would be very careful about using paint on PVC as it will rub off onto the mics during placement/removal.

good call on that.  Maybe I'll just use the grey conduit piping instead

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 11:17:47 AM »

Grey would look better anyways. ;D Good Luck!
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com