Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sample...What happened?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sample...What happened?
« on: January 09, 2010, 02:23:13 AM »
I recorded two sets of a band tonight and the first set ended up with static in the right channel.  Sample attached. The second set was fine.

Anyone know what this could be?

CA-14 (c) > CA-9100 > R09HR (line in)

http://www.2shared.com/file/10554485/35a5dd24/CA-14.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:47:39 PM by Belexes »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
Re: CA-14 Sample...What happened?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
I can't find the file to download....  I just keep getting pop-up pages.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Belexes

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 03:51:07 PM »
Sorry about that, see attached.

Mics were collar mount. I did get up after the first set and walk around, but did nothing specific to the gear as I didn't think I had any issues. Again, second set, flawless.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »
maybe poor connection someplace?  I'd encourage you to test all the plugs individually to isolate the problem.  Try running audio from your computer or ipod into the same port on the R09HR, ad record one long file.  Try to tease out a response if necissary, lightly jostling the cable at the R09HR end.  Record for a while if you want, even if only in low quality mp3 format.  Then take your interconnect cable, test that by trying output of ipod / computer into input of computer (assuming this input works perfectly).  Try jostling this cable too if it isn't abundantly obvious that it's giving static.  Then try out just the mics.  Run the mics straight into the R09HR mic jack, crank up your levels, and record for a while, again, twisting and LIGHTLY jostling the cable to see if it's loose or problematic.  Test both jacks on the 9100 in a similar fashion.  You want to test all components on their own, taking care not to use say, the same interconnect with the potentially problematic input on the R09HR etc.  All connections should snap in securely and none should present static when twisted lightly or mildly disturbed.  If you locate a male end which seems to be to blame, try getting some Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and cotton balls and cleaning it off, let it dry before inserting it into anything.

These are all the simplest tests to do right off the bat, things that will take you just a short time and may be a whole lot easier (and cheaper) than replacing any component on its own.  Of course, it's entirely possible that this problem has nothing to do with connections, but it sounds like it might, and these are some simple tests to try and diagnose.

Best of luck, I'm looking forward to following this thread to resolution!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Belexes

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »

Thanks much for the advice! I tried much of the above.  My only conclusion was that it was a loose or stressed connection. All the more important to remember to make certain the cables are seated correctly I suppose.  I have been taping for 20 years now and I still goof up sometimes.

I have two shows next weekend to tape.  If the issue presents itself again, I'll have to dig deeper.

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »

Thanks much for the advice! I tried much of the above.  My only conclusion was that it was a loose or stressed connection. All the more important to remember to make certain the cables are seated correctly I suppose.  I have been taping for 20 years now and I still goof up sometimes.

Apologies then, you'll certainly be more familiar with the tragedies of loose connections than I!!  No condescension intended  ;D
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
Of course if it is a jack or a plug, they might just be dirty and need to be cleaned. Here is something I once copied from guysonic's site (can't find it now-his site is great but a bit hard to navigate):

"Clean & recondition noisy mic. (or line in) jacks with 91 - 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.  Repeatedly insert a headphone type plug soaked to the point of dripping (filling the alcohol bottle cap and dipping only the metal part of the mini-plug works well) into the mic. jack until any connection noise disappears.  Monitor the progress with a set of headphones while the deck is in a record function.  Rotating the microphones plug should not produce audible noise with cleaned and conditioned contacts.   Applying a contact conditioner to already cleaned plug and jack metal parts (Stereo retailer & Sonic Studios available Pro-Gold by Caig Labs works great) once to several times a year will help protect contacts from corrosion/wear and from producing noise for much longer between cleanings."

Instead of dipping a headphone type jack into the alcohol, I use the output plug of my mic to clean that as well. If using a preamp, I do the same thing with the pre's input & output jacks and the 1/8 cable plugs that connects the pre to the recorder.

It's a good safety measure to do this every few months and maybe problems will be headed off before they occur.     
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Belexes

Re: Sample...What happened?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
^ Good idea. I will do this before I head out for taping this weekend.

I know what you mean about Guy's site. Great info, but tough to travel through.

Offline hugh

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • who knows where the time goes?
    • halfbricking
Re: Sample...What happened?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »
+1 on treating XLRs and jacks with DeOxit / ProGold (I use cotton-tips).  It's successfully turned crackly-gunky unreliable contacts into shiny-clean and apparently clean connections for me; worth the money.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com