Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser ME64  (Read 2284 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sennheiser ME64
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »
I've been listening to these on LMA a bunch lately and I am blown away by how great they sound (to my ears, at least).  I've seen this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=177297.0, which is a really slick setup but seems to be pretty much one-of-a-kind.  Aside from that, anyone have first-hand experience with these mics?  Even Sennheiser 8040 recordings haven't sounded as good to me as the ME64 stuff, and it amazes me for how relatively inexpensive the ME64s are.

Also, for anyone that's used these, which body did you use (it looks like the choices are K6, K6P, and K6RD)?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: Sennheiser ME64
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
Interesting...  Sennheiser has some really nice sounding capsules.  Would like to learn more.

The Sennheiser K6 microphone series and the newer Senn Ambisonic mic, are based on the KE14 capsule.  This is a 14mm electret capsule, gold diaphragm.  Very well manufactured, and found in a number of products.  I believe some newer mics like e914 and others may have this capsule as well.

The ME64 capsules themselves are available approx $150-200 street price.  The bodies for these microphones, K6 series, will add to the price though, $300-400 each total.  All of these are available on Ebay in various configurations, cardioid, and shotgun form.

I've often wondered about chopping the ME64 capsule down and running the capsules alone with a battery box.   A simple battery box would be sufficient, don't need the bodies/ preamps stuffed in a new box like the other poster built.  If a pair ever came up cheap on TS.com or Ebay I would still give this a try.

I never did learn, still hacking gear after all this time, lol.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:35:01 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
I've been listening to these on LMA a bunch lately and I am blown away by how great they sound (to my ears, at least).  I've seen this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=177297.0, which is a really slick setup but seems to be pretty much one-of-a-kind.  Aside from that, anyone have first-hand experience with these mics?  Even Sennheiser 8040 recordings haven't sounded as good to me as the ME64 stuff, and it amazes me for how relatively inexpensive the ME64s are.

Also, for anyone that's used these, which body did you use (it looks like the choices are K6, K6P, and K6RD)?

The bodies that are stuffed in the blue box are K6. I also have used the K6 RD (red dot)  which is just a reduced sensitivity version of the same body. I think they are 17db less sensitive. They call them K6C now I believe. The K6P is a phantom powered only option that is a little shorter. I have run the rd's mic in to various non phantom recorders with fair results and the K6's into various preamps but still only fair results. I'm pretty sure what makes them sound decent is the Audient Mico preamp/AD converter that I've been using lately.  It's huge, power hungry, and not very bag friendly but cost effective and sounds great. I carry it in a laptop backpack which just carrying a backpack into venues lately has been a challenge. Another note, my caps are 1997 vintage and I'm not sure if they have changed or cut manufacturing cost since. Also, I did not modify any of the circuitry, just made everything much more compact and changed to AAA batteries instead of AA. If you're interested in building a pair I'd gladly share what I can.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »
I have run the rd's mic in to various non phantom recorders with fair results and the K6's into various preamps but still only fair results.

Do you have any examples of each you can link to?

I'm pretty sure what makes them sound decent is the Audient Mico preamp/AD converter that I've been using lately.  It's huge, power hungry, and not very bag friendly but cost effective and sounds great. I carry it in a laptop backpack which just carrying a backpack into venues lately has been a challenge. Another note, my caps are 1997 vintage and I'm not sure if they have changed or cut manufacturing cost since. Also, I did not modify any of the circuitry, just made everything much more compact and changed to AAA batteries instead of AA. If you're interested in building a pair I'd gladly share what I can.

What level of skill are we talking here?  Just some soldering?  I'd certainly be interested but I don't have a whole lot of DIY skills.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com