Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK2 or MK2S?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline levoui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Schoeps MK2 or MK2S?
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
I am recording string orchestras 8-9 feet up off the stage and 3-4 feet behind the conductors head.

Mk2 or Mk2S?

Thoughts anyone?

Schoeps MK4 / MK21 / DPA 4022 / Rode NT4 / NT5 omni caps
SD MixPre-3 / SD MixPre-D / Edirol R-09HR

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Schoeps MK2 or MK2S?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:35:34 PM »
I am recording string orchestras 8-9 feet up off the stage and 3-4 feet behind the conductors head.

Mk2 or Mk2S?

Thoughts anyone?

These days it doesn’t matter much. With eq in post you can make any schoeps Omni sound like any of the others.

I love my mk3 (mk2xs) pair.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Schoeps MK2 or MK2S?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »
^ 2nd'd

No difference in the polar responses between them, the difference in on-axis frequency response tracks the same difference in off-axis diffuse response, making them "EQ interchangeable", meaning an carefully tailored EQ correction to one type can emulate the other type precisely.

Either can work well in your stated application, and preference prior to any eq adjustment will probably depend on how bright the direct sound from the strings and how bright the room sound is. 

Regardless of which you choose, consider experimenting with the sphere attachments for this application.  They can work nicely for this, and are different than switching between the various omni caps with differing frequency responses precisely because they do modify the polar pattern, varying the on-axis against the off-axis diffuse response.  In other words, they change both the frequency response and the polar response.  Combine that with EQ to offset on-axis response of the sphere attachment and you have a way of varying the off-axis room timbre without changing the on-axis response - or vice-versa.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.191 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com