Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: clamping help/options with a shure a27m t-bar and skm184's?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline bearcobb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
clamping help/options with a shure a27m t-bar and skm184's?
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:54:06 AM »
im thinking about making my first clamp package purchase here as i have front row center for the balcony for a show in march at the chicago theatre. im pretty sure there will be a railing or something to clamp on there and it would make a lot more sense to go that route instead of trying to set up a stand there. anyway, let me rundown what im using...

ive got a pair of neumann skm184s in a pair of at 8410 shockmounts that are attached to a shure a27m vertical t bar that i usually use on a manfrotto stacker stand. because the stand has a 3/8" post and the t bar is 5/8" the adapter i bought is pretty much firmly screwed into the t bar, and i dont know how easy it would be to remove...but i dont want to have to get a separate tbar for the clamp...

anyway, so based on my mics/shockmounts/tbar what are my clamping options? i would primarily use it for clamping to railings and such where my stand would be unwelcome or intrusive but if it needed to be clamped to another stand due to venue restrictions, etc i would like to have that option as well. is there an all in one clamp that would do the job, or do i need a few different components? i would also like this to be relatively affordable as i would not be using it all that often as i primarily use my stand...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: clamping help/options with a shure a27m t-bar and skm184's?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 12:01:51 PM »
Check B&H Photo for:

Windtech C clamp - stand.
Bogen SuperClamp - railing.

Both are indispensable, IMO.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 12:35:20 PM »
i was thinking about going the superclamp route as ive read they do anything you could want, but do i only need said superclamp or any other parts/accessories? will the shure vert bar screw right onto the clamp?

as for the stand clamp, ill get that later down the line but i want to focus on the railing clamp now...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:40:54 PM »
i was thinking about going the superclamp route as ive read they do anything you could want, but do i only need said superclamp or any other parts/accessories? will the shure vert bar screw right onto the clamp?

Depends on the railing.  To ensure flexibility, pick up the right-angle extension arm at the same time.  You may or may not need adapters to connect the Shure vert bar to the SC or extension bar - depends on what thread they're shipping with these days.  Mine came with a 1/4"-male thread, so I have a 1/4"-female > 3/8"-male adapter on mine, plus a 3/8"-female > 5/8"-27-male adapter.  Check the Archive forum, Mics & Setup forum for a thread on mic stands, including part numbers for the above adapters.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:45:44 PM »
one more question, how about this manfrotto quick release mounting clamp that i see priced almost twice as much...it does include a 5" extender post and an adapter. would that be a good route if the price really werent an option?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:49:09 PM »
one more question, how about this manfrotto quick release mounting clamp that i see priced almost twice as much...it does include a 5" extender post and an adapter. would that be a good route if the price really werent an option?

it is huge....great for railing...but it and the superclamp fill the same need...and neither are well suited for stand clamping based on their weight

Offline bearcobb

• Taperssection Newbie
  • neumann crew
    • my list
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »
i guess my only deal is i dont see how the shure vert bar attaches to the superclamp where its visibly apparant on the quick release clamp. i guess it would make sense if i had it in my hands and i guess thats why the right angle extension arm...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com