Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help finding 1/4" to 5/8" adapter  (Read 4488 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Help finding 1/4" to 5/8" adapter
« on: March 05, 2007, 09:19:39 PM »
Well, i guess you get what you pay for. I found this new no name brand light stand on ebay that i got with shipping for 20 bucks, and once i receive it, i notice the screw stud thing is a 1/4" so it fits cameras and camcorders, but not my 5/8" mic clip.

I am really having trouble finding an adapter to go from a 1/4" stud to 5/8" screw. So i guess that would be a 1/4" female to 5/8" male. I can find the other way around, but can't find what i need it to be... (basically i need an adapter that would turn a camcorder tripod into a 5/8" mic stand)

would appreciate any help.

-josh

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Help finding 1/4" to 5/8" adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:35:47 PM »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 09:36:17 PM »
http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm

Look at "Stand fitting w/ 3/8>5/8 adapter" and "1/4-20 to 5/8 Adapter with stop"

I really recommend the "Stand fitting".  It works on anything I've seen as far as light stands go, you don't have to worry about thread stripping (I have a knockoff stand, the stud looks pretty cheap like the threads would strip in no time) and the ability to tweak your mic angles without moving your stand is a big plus.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:48:03 PM by RobertNC »
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:50:46 PM »
MIC STANDS AND THREAD ADAPTERS

so what i need to buy are the...

3111 | 1/4"F | 3/8"M
(new part # for above:  148, per Bogen parts at 201-818-9500, 10/10/2003 - thanks jlykos!)
3366 | 3/8"F | 5/8"M

geez, i have to buy 2 adapters just get this thing to work, i might as well just buy a new mic stand  :(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:07:46 PM by atxwolfattack »

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
"Mic Stands" are generally don't suit the needs of many tapers - they don't go high enough and are not stable enough for many taping scenarios.  And they are pricey.  Those adapters are pretty cheap compared to a genuine mic stand with a 5/8 mic thread.

I carry an adapter, a T-Bar, a K&M Sidebar, 2 Windtech C-Clamps, 2 Bogen Superclamps, and that is pretty typical for the basic taper.

Accessories are part of the game bro.   ;)

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 10:31:04 PM »
geez, i have to buy 2 adapters just get this thing to work, i might as well just buy a new mic stand  :(

nah check out the MicSupply page indicated above. they have 1/4 > 5/8 adapters, et al. you should only need ONE adapter, and no need to buy another stand. ive got one of those 20 dollar stands off ebay too  ;)

edit for link
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:08:53 PM »

nah check out the MicSupply page indicated above. they have 1/4 > 5/8 adapters, et al. you should only need ONE adapter, and no need to buy another stand. ive got one of those 20 dollar stands off ebay too  ;)

edit for link

yeah, i will get the micsupply one. Has anyone bought that actual one from that site? The "1/4-20 to 5/8 Adapter with stop"? It looks like the picture is wrong for it, but if someone else has bought it before, i trust it.

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 12:50:21 AM »
I'm a machinist by trade.  If someone is willing to draw up something, I could make a couple of these adaptors in my free time at work.....  Just offering.

Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 01:15:40 AM »

yeah, i will get the micsupply one. Has anyone bought that actual one from that site? The "1/4-20 to 5/8 Adapter with stop"? It looks like the picture is wrong for it, but if someone else has bought it before, i trust it.

That is the exact adapter I bought from micsupply, and it is still working fine 2 years later.

If in doubt, take a close up picture of the top of your stand with some sort of ruler for scale next to it, and email it to Dave at micsupply. I believe this is exactly what I did, and he was helpful.

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 09:02:32 AM »
the micsupply adapter is actually two adapters already assembled for you.  Get one of those.  I should have thought to mention micsupply.  Dave is a great guy and he tapes too.

I use the same adapter on my stands and it's probably the best solution.  It makes a huge difference in set up time and no chance of stripping threads in the field.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 01:44:18 PM »
The other option is to buy a super clamp + a 3/8 > 5/8 adapter.  More expense but more flexibility with the clamp. 
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 01:55:21 PM »
The other option is to buy a super clamp + a 3/8 > 5/8 adapter.  More expense but more flexibility with the clamp.

Or a WindTech "C" Type clamp and no adapter.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »

Definitely.  I was kind of skeptical of those.  Then when they came , B&H Stock number was WIMPC10 and I pulled one outta the box and the first thing I though was "WIMPC.  Damn, that ain't just whistlin' Dixie.  The weight of a TL is gonna split this wimpsey POS" but once I set everything up with them in the living room I was a believer.  Lightweight and a lot more versatile than thread adapters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=298908&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:20:28 PM by RobertNC »

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 11:57:39 PM »

Definitely.  I was kind of skeptical of those.  Then when they came , B&H Stock number was WIMPC10 and I pulled one outta the box and the first thing I though was "WIMPC.  Damn, that ain't just whistlin' Dixie.  The weight of a TL is gonna split this wimpsey POS" but once I set everything up with them in the living room I was a believer.  Lightweight and a lot more versatile than thread adapters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=298908&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I don't know if that thing would work for what i need though. What I am trying to do is screw a dummy head on the top of the stand, i glued in a mic clip in the bottom of the head. You know what i mean? Thanks though for the suggestions.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »
I don't know if that thing would work for what i need though. What I am trying to do is screw a dummy head on the top of the stand, i glued in a mic clip in the bottom of the head. You know what i mean? Thanks though for the suggestions.

Not sure I understand that.  You don't have photos of this set up that you could post here, do you?  I'm concerned that you're making this harder than it needs to be...
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com