Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FINALLY: new "DPA 4080" Miniature CARDIOID Microphone, Lavalier, Black  (Read 16703 times)

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • nyctaper
It might well be "indistinguishable" from the 402x series when applied to the setting he describes, but for our purposes its just not going to come close to capturing the bottom end like the 402x mics.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
It might well be "indistinguishable" from the 402x series when applied to the setting he describes, but for our purposes its just not going to come close to capturing the bottom end like the 402x mics.

I often don't need excess bass in my recordings.  Many venues overdo the bass anyway, so having some roll off is not that bad.
Should be interesting to see the design of this.  Will it be a vertical diaphragm like the 406x?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
for the latest update:

Quote from: reliable dpa insider 2008-04-28
Mike,
here is a "by the way":
I was looking at the taperssection.com site and saw a thread on our new 4080's, here are some points:
1. specifically designed as a lav mic for broadcast and sound reinforcement human voice applications
2. integrated mic/windscreen/shock-mount/cable management clip system with replacement parts available
3. shock mount looks "flimsy" but designed to withstand a weight of 10 kilos with a very long duty cycle.
4. cable management system eliminates ALL cable noise.
5. Proximity effect distance for "linearity" is 10 inches, the normal distance of lapel mount to mouth for the mics' intended application
5. Wide response/flat versions that will be more applicable to location recording coming soon....perhaps by mid-fall.

For the record I have made several recording of acoustic guitar with the 4080 "as is" and was stunned by the quality of results...definitely slightly hyped in the upper mid range where the vocal presence boost is located, at a distance of  approx. 6 inches away. If DPA never offered anything else, I would gladly use this for "close" miking on stage for acoustic instruments...it is way better than ANYTHING I have ever heard in this size format. Excellent rear rejection...unlike anything ever offered in a lav sized mic. As a "budget" mic I would use in studio for any "mid range" acoustic source. Wider low end response at distances less than 10 inches.

THIS JUST IN:
Just received a set of prototypes of a "20 to 20K" flat response version with the intended application of "hanging" mics for over choir and/or orchestra..recorded acoustic guitar as well as solo voice here at our offices with jaw dropping results. When compared to 4011 and 4021's the sound is almost indistinguishable. Being our harshest critic, I am more than impressed.

Mike, you can use these comments as your own from a reliable inside DPA source...I thought you might want to be "inside the ropes" on this.

Stay tuned....

Thank you Mike!!  Where do I get in line!  +T

:happy:      :headphones:      :happy:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:57:45 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
for the latest update:

Quote from: reliable dpa insider 2008-04-28
Mike,
here is a "by the way":

THIS JUST IN:
Just received a set of prototypes of a "20 to 20K" flat response version with the intended application of "hanging" mics for over choir and/or orchestra..recorded acoustic guitar as well as solo voice here at our offices with jaw dropping results. When compared to 4011 and 4021's the sound is almost indistinguishable. Being our harshest critic, I am more than impressed.

Mike, you can use these comments as your own from a reliable inside DPA source...I thought you might want to be "inside the ropes" on this.

Stay tuned....

cool!

+t for the info
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
I'm interested.  It would be cool if they developed a encapsulated version where they had hypers as a choice.  The wait-n-see will be fun too.   

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper

I often don't need excess bass in my recordings.  Many venues overdo the bass anyway, so having some roll off is not that bad.
Should be interesting to see the design of this.  Will it be a vertical diaphragm like the 406x?

Richard

Don't get me wrong, this could end up being a nice option for compact microphones -- may in fact may end up being the best possible choice at this price on the market.

But frankly, the idea that it will be indistinguishable from the 402x series is pretty misleading.  It will have the clarity and crisp high-end that DPA consistently delivers, but a microphone with these specs is just going to sound thin on the bottom end when compared to the 402x mics, whether a venue is bass-heavy or not. 

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston

Richard

Don't get me wrong, this could end up being a nice option for compact microphones -- may in fact may end up being the best possible choice at this price on the market.

But frankly, the idea that it will be indistinguishable from the 402x series is pretty misleading.  It will have the clarity and crisp high-end that DPA consistently delivers, but a microphone with these specs is just going to sound thin on the bottom end when compared to the 402x mics, whether a venue is bass-heavy or not. 

Dan - it's called the "shiny new effect".  Anything shiny and new is always better.  I'm sure the new mic will be sweet - just how sweet remains to be heard!

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
Yes, and apparently people have felt strongly enough about this shiny new thing as to be so offended by my comparisons to the 402x series to the point of giving my -7 t's since yesterday.  Apparently speaking the quantifiable truth about two comparative microphones is worth quite a bit of negative karma in this topic.
Unfuckingbelieveable.
 :flipa:

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
Yes, and apparently people have felt strongly enough about this shiny new thing as to be so offended by my comparisons to the 402x series to the point of giving my -7 t's since yesterday.  Apparently speaking the quantifiable truth about two comparative microphones is worth quite a bit of negative karma in this topic.
Unfuckingbelieveable.
 :flipa:

Almost as fun as the people who message me on torrent sites to see if I can EQ the recordings better.  Fact of the matter is what you hear is what you get when running DPA402X > Aerco.  That's why I like it.  Schoeps sound nice, but it's not what I heard at the venue.... too much color.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star

I've heard plenty of 406x recordings and the bass is definitely not shy, so I don't see why the '20-20k flat response version' 4080's couldn't do the same.  not saying they are equal to the 402x series, nor am I say they will be indistinguishable, but amazingly deep bass is definitely obtainable in these little suckers.

Offline illconditioned

I've heard plenty of 406x recordings and the bass is definitely not shy, so I don't see why the '20-20k flat response version' 4080's couldn't do the same.  not saying they are equal to the 402x series, nor am I say they will be indistinguishable, but amazingly deep bass is definitely obtainable in these little suckers.
It is much harder to get bass response in a directional (eg., cardioid) mic than in an omni.

As I said earlier, though, many people roll off bass anyway, so the mic doesn't have to be that bassy.  As long as it is clear and detailed, which I'm sure it will be...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
Excellent point, Richard. 

+t

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
It is much harder to get bass response in a directional (eg., cardioid) mic than in an omni.

As I said earlier, though, many people roll off bass anyway, so the mic doesn't have to be that bassy.  As long as it is clear and detailed, which I'm sure it will be...

Richard

People generally rolloff base because the old school 2-wire batt boxe set-ups could generally not handle those spls right?  I don't think base rolloff is all that necessary in most situations. 

Also... a few people reading this thread deserve one of these:  :flipa:

Offline illconditioned

Richard

People generally rolloff base because the old school 2-wire batt boxe set-ups could generally not handle those spls right?  I don't think base rolloff is all that necessary in most situations. 

Also... a few people reading this thread deserve one of these:  :flipa:

Some people like the bass, but most clubs I go to overdo the bass.  I often record with really lightweight mics, like Sennheiser MKE40.  If I can get cardioid and really clear mids/highs, that is most of the battle.  Now, I would add bass to the MKE40, but something with a little more bass would be just fine for me.  To each is own, I guess.

I'm most curious on the physical design of this mic...

Richard

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
what ?
you mean they didn't produce this ...specifically for low profile concert taping ?
HOW DARE THEY!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com