Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamps that accept external clocking  (Read 7480 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Preamps that accept external clocking
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
First off Pre-Amp's are analog by definition so there is no word clock to sync too.   I think what you are asking is what AD's that will sync with an external word clock.

The non-Optimod V3 has wordclock out only
The AD-1000 and 500's support WC in/out/thru (the 1000 supports syncing to many different formats on it's BNC or TOSlink in)
The Mytek 192 has WC in/out/thru
The SD USBPre2 can sync to clock on SPDIF in (so you can link multiple USBPre2's, or mix with other AD's that can sync to SPDIF)

Only the AD-1000, SD USBPre2, and V3 have a built in pre-amp. 

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »
First off Pre-Amp's are analog by definition so there is no word clock to sync too.   I think what you are asking is what AD's that will sync with an external word clock.

The non-Optimod V3 has wordclock out only
The AD-1000 and 500's support WC in/out/thru (the 1000 supports syncing to many different formats on it's BNC or TOSlink in)
The Mytek 192 has WC in/out/thru
The SD USBPre2 can sync to clock on SPDIF in (so you can link multiple USBPre2's, or mix with other AD's that can sync to SPDIF)

Only the AD-1000, SD USBPre2, and V3 have a built in pre-amp.

The AD1k is not only the cheapest but also the best at grilling.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Everybody knocks the AD1K but with a little ventilation I didn't think it was all that bad.  I recently sold one off but only because the size was awkward.  I liked the sound and the feature set was hard to beat. 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:55 AM »
Everybody knocks the AD1K but with a little ventilation I didn't think it was all that bad.  I recently sold one off but only because the size was awkward. I liked the sound and the feature set was hard to beat.

very true. AFAIK, Heath stockpiles them for that reason.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 04:29:13 AM »

I've fooled around with the Tascam US800 some but not with a SPDIF input. The manual states that in standalone mode it will lock to the incoming SPDIF signal. When used with computer you can set the clock to internal (and adjust the rate) or incoming SPDIF.

In standalone mode the outputs default to

analog 1/2 = analog inputs 1/2
SPDIF = analog inputs 3/4
headphone = mixer (all inputs summed)

So I'm guessing you could sync it with a deck with SPDIF out to gain 2-6 more channels.

I ran it as a 2 channel pre the other day at NMA for the second set, ran my Littlebox for the 1st. I'll post some samples in the next couple days (but it sounds surprisingly good).
I somehow don't really trust this thing...it seems like a really plastic flimsy build (like if you dropped it, it would shatter) and it's been a little finicky with my Windows 7 HP laptop.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »
Samples would be cool.  Yeah I have had that US-800 loaded in the cart but can never hit the buy button.  since I do do some multitracking the DI inputs seemed nice...And since it is fairly new I was hoping that Tascam put the same pre's as the 680 in it?  But like you said it just looks flimsy. 

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 05:42:35 PM »
Another solution is to use a sample rate converter with the adc of your choice. I had a look round for DC powered ones the other day

AJA ADA4
http://www.aja.com/products/converters/converters-hd-ada4.php

and Z-systems Zlink96
http://www.richwinslow.com/projects/zsystems/zlink96mini.php

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com