Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transformers (yet another newbie question)  (Read 2034 times)

Offline redbook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Transformers (yet another newbie question)
« on: February 20, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »
So, after tons of questions and help given by other members, I'm going trough

AT853 (phanton) > Samson > PS2 > JB3

I have no money to get a AD20 or any other pream, so I guess the only thing I need now to put between the PS2 and the JB3 is a couple of transformers, right?

I looked trough the archive and I found three different models:

Audio Technica
http://www.audiotechnica.com/guide/other/access/inline.html

Shure
http://www.shure.com/accessories/a85f.asp

hosa
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/mit_transformers.html

What model is better?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: Transformers (yet another newbie question)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 01:32:28 PM »
I've only run the AT CP8201, but they sound good. It was just enough gain for my oktava>ps-2>jb3 second stage festi rig.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »
Here's a couple of newbie questions for you all... pardon my ignorance folks, but I've searched the site and haven't been able to find any answers....

First of all, I was looking at a line matching transformer w/ a pig tail that I think (key word 'think') went from 500 Ohms to 5000 Ohms(again, I think it was 500 to 5000 and I think the upside down "U" is the Ohm symbol), on the XLR side it had a switch for Low or High... Am I looking at the totally wrong type of line transformers b/c I did see some that didn't have the switch and sd Low Z -> High Z, but they were a straight adapter and I think that I would prefer something w/ a pigtail??? If I am indeed looking at the right type of line transformer, what setting should I have it set to??? High or Low ??? What would the difference be???

And Secondly, I noticed that the line transformers seem to be after the battery box(phantom power) in some chains but I also read a post about adding gain early in the chain... Where is the best place in the chain to add transformers??? directly attached to the mic bodies??? in the middle of a cable run to your battery box??? right after your battery box??? or just before the JB3??? and finally, if the transformer should follow the battery box, is there anything wrong with going directly from the XLR outputs on the box straight into the line transformers themselves???
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
I use the Hosa MIT-176 line transformers (pigtail type). They don't have any switches on them. Run them between the p48 source and the recorder.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 06:16:17 PM »
Thx cgrooves for the reply...
If I could I'd give you a +T for getting back to me so fast, I would...but I don't have those powers as of yet...

The Hosa MIT-176 seem to be a pretty popular transformer, in fact I've looked into a couple of the brands mentioned on another topic here(Shure, AT, and Hosa) but was looking to avoid shipping costs so I started looking into local shops... I chkd out Rat-Shack that has now all gone to Circuit City and they didn't have anything of the sort... I found the aforementioned transformers @ a music supply store (a pretty reputable outfit that carries a reg stock of AKG), it 's just that none of the clerks seemed to know much about field recording or what I really needed... I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right thing...

I know that the transformers come in both straight links as well as pigtail but the store I was @ only had one model in pigtail and I wasn't sure if it was the same thing or not cause I've never seen any w/ the switch nor do I know too much about Volts and Ohms... Then again the straight transformer adapters were definitely the right type of transformers, I would like to get that extra couple of inches of distance... I was just currious whether there were a difference or not and what, if anything, the switches (on those pigtails I was looking at) actually do(or how to use them)...

I may just end up ordering a set of Hosa just to be sure but I thought someone might be able to properly direct me concerning the ones in the local shop... I'm in the process of putting my first rig together and am looking for a few cheaper options...

So you run your Hosa straight from your pbox??? Definitely some good info... I wasn't positive of where to put the transformers for best results... I was hoping they'd be fine there so I can just run the transformers from the XLR out's on my pbox to a Female L/R Mono>mini stereo adapter and then directly into the JB3... With a prev conversation talking about early gain, I thought that it may be better to put the transformers elsewhere, but that would lead to too many adapters and connections in my chain... That definitely makes things simpler... I'd still be curious to know if there would be a cleaner boost if the tranformers were earlier in the chain, but at least I now know that I can get away w/ running them straight from my pbox

If anyone else has any other input on my prev questions(prev post), I'd be more than happy to get a few more opinions and perspectives... I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track... THX
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 08:20:24 PM »
I would like to get that extra couple of inches
:o

ok...seriously now.  About where in the chain to locate them, they can't go in between your P48 and mics because they will block the phantom power and the mics won't work.  That's one of the things that transformers get used for!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 11:22:42 AM »
I also use adapters on the transformers to go from the 1/4" outputs to xlr connections.  My Y cable is xlr to stereo mini. That way, if I ever had a problem with my p48 source in the field, I could connect my Y cable to the AT8531 power modules with a AA battery installed in them and still get a decent pull.  Just another thing to think about when purchasing connectors and such. Options.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com