Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: replacing the dongle on my sbm1  (Read 2753 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
replacing the dongle on my sbm1
« on: July 27, 2005, 11:45:57 AM »
that pda setup sh*t the bed on me for the VERY last time last night...

when leegeddy took the dongle out, he left that harness attached, which looks like (from those archive pics) it can be soldered back on relatively easily...

i am not skilled enough with a soldering tool to do the work myself, and leegeddy seems to be busy atm (havent seen him around here lately). is there anybody in socal that can do this soldering job for me. or if you arent in socal, is there someone (todd r..?) who would do it for me if i sent the unit to them...

the real trick is that i would love to use the unit on tuesday night (august 2)...

any advice, input, etc is much appreciated...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: replacing the dongle on my sbm1
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:24:41 PM »
I don't know anything about DAT inputs, so please excuse me if I am totally off base here, but if you can't do the soldering, could you get a cable to go from the female output to the DAT?  Maybe a last resort?

Sorry to hear about the issues with the pda....

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 12:44:28 PM »
a dual male 7pin cable would work, as well, but i dont own one of those, and have no idea where to find a sturdy (and short) one...

-macdaddy ++

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 02:54:08 PM »
A little larger solution than just going dongle into an M1, but do you have a 7pin in/out cable?  You could take the coax out from the leegeddy coax mod into your 7pin, rather than using a 7pin to 7pin cable.  Otherwise, I can try to help out -- check your pm's.

Also, if you don't have a 7pin in/out, there's one in the yardsale area.  You might be able to get that one sent to you in time for the 8/2 show.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 03:03:16 PM »
+t for the input...

leegeddy moved, he lives in atlanta now :(

the mod leegeddy did for me was to a mini-coax dongle (for the cfaudio card). with all of the 7pin dongles you have modded, you dont have the material to make a short, sturdy dual male 7pin cable, do you, todd..?
-macdaddy ++

Offline Todd R

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 03:24:34 PM »
Sorry, I've sold a number of 7pin cables awhile ago.  And just in the past week or two, with my remaining 7pin dongle ends, I've made a 7pin to optical cable (with a toslink jack) and a 7pin to RCA coax output cable.  The latter is 2 1/2 feet long, so I guess that doesn't qualify as short.

I'm not familiar with the CFAudio mini-coax.  Is yours just a 1/8" mono plug?  If so you can probably get the adapter you need to go from 1/8" mini to RCA at Radio Shack.  Something like Catalog #: 274-871:

http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/274/274-871.jpg

Then you could use the mini coax out you have coupled with the RS adapter and your 7pin in/out cable to go from SBM1 to your M1.  Not the smallest or most elegant, but would work for your upcoming show.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 05:01:21 PM »
i'm not familiar with the CFAudio mini-coax.  Is yours just a 1/8" mono plug?  If so you can probably get the adapter you need to go from 1/8" mini to RCA at Radio Shack.  Something like Catalog #: 274-871:

http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/274/274-871.jpg

yes it is a coax miniplug... so plugging into that thing, i would be able to go straight into that maudio microtracker..? is there any loss of quality that would occur using that jerry-rigged termination..?

thanks for all of the help. +t in 12
-macdaddy ++

Offline Todd R

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 08:07:41 PM »
Yep, using that adapter (or the right one, but I think that's it) will allow you to go into the microtracker, or into your 7pin in/out cable for your M1.  There shouldn't be any loss of quality -- I use similar adapters all the time.  Female to female barrels, solid body coax splitters, right angle RCA to RCA adapters -- all pretty much the same thing and you should have perfectly good signal quality.  The mini coax > adapter > 7pin in/out > M1 might be a bit much though.  Good enough to get you through the show on Tuesday and to use until you figure out exactly what you'll be running.  Then maybe you should get the SBM1 output modded for the right connector.  (Though I'm still wondering if modSBM1> microtracker at 16 bits would be better than straight into the microtracker at 24 bits, skipping the SBM1 entirely.  We shall see.)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 08:27:31 PM »
(Though I'm still wondering if modSBM1> microtracker at 16 bits would be better than straight into the microtracker at 24 bits, skipping the SBM1 entirely.  We shall see.)

interesting point...

anyway - i think i found the solution. coresound is going to do the cable for me. i sent them one that had broken today, and len said he would fix it and shorten it for me (as i only need/want 6 inches or so - in fact, it was the fact that the cable was a meter in length that caused the extra stress on the cable, where it broke)...

i also think that the pda i was using is sh*tty and slow, and that i can find another pda that is more powerful to do the job for me. so leaving the dongle the way it is might be a good call. i was just curious if it could feed a standard spdif coax rca connection just by getting a female mini > male rca barrel adapter from rat shack. and you say that i can. that is cleaner than the 7pin/coax cable...

and the custom dual male 7pin cable len is going to make for me will keep me straight and prepared for use with dat, again, in a very clean way (so i can put the dat on top of the sbm1, put a hair tie around them both, and stick the whole thing in a jacket pocket - it is those extra long cables that get in the way when doing that sort of thing :P)...

as for tuesday, maybe the cable will be here in time, maybe i can borrow a local sbm1 for the evening, or maybe i will have to do the dongle > barrel connector > oade 7pin > d100. could be rough, but workable in a pinch, i guess...

anyway, thanks for all of the input and help...

-macdaddy ++

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 08:31:57 PM »
BTW Mac, why are you going to buy the moSBM that I saw for sale earlier?

ANDY

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 08:35:27 PM »
BTW Mac, why are you going to buy the moSBM that I saw for sale earlier?

ANDY

i was considering picking up a second one...

and if i did, i wanted it to have the 7pin dongle...

-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 09:24:40 AM »
+t's all 'round for the help...

the ratshack plug does NOT work...

any other suggestions..?

i got a taping gig tonight - if worse comes to worse, i will bail the sb1 and run mic in, but i really dont want to do that because of brickwalling...

-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 04:35:13 AM »
well - a 1gig CF card did the trick - i think the problem is the microdrive (i think they are just not cut out for this kind of work...

another set of T's for the help...

stoked to listen to my hellride recording!!!
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com