Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO Speakers for less than $1500?  (Read 5379 times)

Offline rreidiii

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
ISO Speakers for less than $1500?
« on: March 01, 2005, 08:08:32 PM »
SSIA, Just bought one of those Sony STR 3000 thingys and now need some speakers. I do tape a number of shows and feel this is an important factor but also want them for a new plasma screen tv. Any suggestions???

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
Re: ISO Speakers for less than $1500?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 08:13:35 PM »
Paradigm
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline rreidiii

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 08:34:01 PM »
I just saw Westerberg a few nights ago...Social Distortion In a few weeks...,Saw the Dead 50+ times I tape alot of singer song writer stuff in So Cal. So yor can say my tastes vary.

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 08:41:31 PM »
Your options truly are almost unlimited in this category.  One word though, buy used!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »
What's the damping factor of that SonyBeastie ?
I'll guess that it would drive a ported enclosure nicely.

Evos should be heard, Dynaudios, Tannoys, too

It should be easy to find a showroom where you can listen to speaks with an amp very similar to yours.
That will make your life easier.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 08:56:46 PM »

And most places worth dealing with will let you bring in your amp to try with the speakers.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 08:12:56 AM »
Places worth dealing with will allow you to take the speakers home and try them in your room--that is the biggest variable right there (the room).

You have a ton of options at $1500.  I don't necessarily agree that buying used is ALWAYS the best route--loudspeakers are such a personal choice.  I think an extended showroom audition, with a few home auditions of your fav speakers, is a great option, too. 

Offline rreidiii

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 12:10:26 AM »
Thanx for all the help guys

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 11:56:19 AM »
A lesser known player in the US market that will get you a great set of speakers in that price range (plus a sub for a bit more) is Dali.  You should be able to get a pair of Dali Suite 2.8s for around $1100 new.  I'd compare them somewhat to Paradigm reference 60s, though I think they have fuller, richer mids with a little bit less bass punch than the Paradigms.
  And I'd agree that, especially with speakers, home auditions are invaluable.
-Dave

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 12:20:26 PM »
I picked up a 5.1 Tannoy setup (MXM Series) from Oade to go along with my Sony 3000es, and I absolutely am loving them!

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 05:51:52 PM »
$1500 is a great budget in the used world.
how big of a room?
would you rather not have to use a subwhoofer?

there are tons of excellent Maggies, Martin Logans, Von Schweikerts, B&Ws....etc etc etc available for this.
Todays used $1500 was 5 years ago $3500, or 10 years ago $5k.
Or...maybe even last years $2500 new price.  You can buy a lot of speaker for this money.  You just need to know what you want in terms of performance and certain strong points in your musical reproduction endevors.

Speakers can be like mics.  Some do certain things better than others, and its  the "certain things" that you like that should drive your decision.  Some are brutaly transparant, and will shame any componant or cable of a lesser quality.  Others are a little more forgiving in that regard, and seem to work on par w/a larger selection of gear behind them.  Same goes for room interactions.  Some speakes (like panels, or ESL) need good acoustics to really show you what they can do.  Others can deal with tight quarters, or a more lively room.  I learned this the hard way...

Offline rreidiii

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 09:00:53 PM »
what do you guys think of these tannoy fusion4 speakers. they seem very reasonably priced, one gut has them for about $440 a pair.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 10:34:20 PM »
If you're into used, go Klipsch old school: KG4s, Forte IIs, Heresy IIs, etc.  They simply don't make them like they use to.  Nobody does.  Not even Klipsch.  Excellent bass.  Solid midrange.  Build quality is still exceptional.  I've had my KG4s for 17 years and will probably use the wood on them to someday make my casket.    ;)   They all get high marks on www.audioreview.com today.  Only knock:  they're all big and heavy.  Can get all of them on eBay for under $1,000 a set.

Sorry for the fluff.  I have to go wash ......   :-X
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 10:57:18 PM by spyder9 »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 01:44:09 PM »
If you're into used, go Klipsch old school: KG4s, Forte IIs, Heresy IIs, etc.  They simply don't make them like they use to.  Nobody does.  Not even Klipsch.  Excellent bass.  Solid midrange.  Build quality is still exceptional.  I've had my KG4s for 17 years and will probably use the wood on them to someday make my casket.    ;)   They all get high marks on www.audioreview.com today.  Only knock:  they're all big and heavy.  Can get all of them on eBay for under $1,000 a set.

I have heresy II's, and I gotta disagree about them having good bass.  They are efficient and clear (to my uneducated ears) but I like them much better with a sub.  They are also way better now that I have them on stands, and up off the floor.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 04:14:33 PM »

I have heresy II's, and I gotta disagree about them having good bass.  They are efficient and clear (to my uneducated ears) but I like them much better with a sub.  They are also way better now that I have them on stands, and up off the floor.

Schnizzle!   :o

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »
I gotta fluff the Neat Acoustics

http://www.britnett.net/neat/listings/5.html
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 04:43:31 PM »
Paradigm

second that, great value for the $$ and very neutral.

Also check out PSB, NHT, Definitive Technology, Infinity (the new CMMD stuff looks nice) just to name a few. Tons of stuff out there in this price range.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline rreidiii

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 12:27:29 AM »
Thanx for all the suggestions guys. I picked up a pair of Paradigm studio 60's and really happy with them in my room. Even better the wife likes them too. She doesn't like the crappy FM antenna supplied with the Sony that I have thumb tacked to the wall. Very low WAF apparently.  :-)

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2005, 10:24:30 AM »
The FM section on the Sony's is outstanding. I haven't listened to this much radio in years. (I have the antenna hiding behind my Bavarian flag)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com