Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: my reciever shuts down  (Read 2834 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
my reciever shuts down
« on: March 12, 2005, 06:32:10 PM »
my reciever shuts down periodically.  It goes into kinda like a stand by mode.  sleep isn't on.  Is this a heat issue?  Its a HK 335
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: my reciever shuts down
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 06:35:26 PM »
could be heat

does it happen primarily when you are playing it loudly? primarily after long periods of time? or is just totally random?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 07:28:26 PM »
We are watching dvds, and the volume is usually -28.  Its just me and my wife chillin on the couch, so its not very loud.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 07:51:41 PM »
hmmmmm

is it getting hot? that would be the first thing to check...

other than that shutting down because of clipping or heat I'm not sure there is an easy answer...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 08:17:32 PM »
Possible there is a small short in one of your speaker cone windings...that can trip an amps protection circuit...

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 10:41:05 AM »
my reciever shuts down periodically.  It goes into kinda like a stand by mode.  sleep isn't on.  Is this a heat issue?  Its a HK 335

We need some more info: 
Do you think it is a heat issue?
Does it happen to both left and right sides?
Are we talking relays within the amp disconnecting the speakers with an audible "click"?
Does the amp cycle in and out of this mode with some kind of a period?
Does the amp seem hot when you put your hand on top of the vents above the heatsink?

I think it's hard to get graceful shutown of both channels without the amp's own protection circuit
kicking in. So I would guess you have a relay disconnecting the speakers with a gentle "click".   

If it shuts down for a good reason it's either to protect the amp from shorted speakers
or to protect the speakers from abnormal voltages from the amp. 

If it's the latter it's a good chance the problem is very much heat related. Any part, any solderjoint,
any connector... can cause this.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 11:35:58 AM »

We need some more info: 
Do you think it is a heat issue?
Does it happen to both left and right sides?
Are we talking relays within the amp disconnecting the speakers with an audible "click"?
Does the amp cycle in and out of this mode with some kind of a period?
Does the amp seem hot when you put your hand on top of the vents above the heatsink?

I think it's hard to get graceful shutown of both channels without the amp's own protection circuit
kicking in. So I would guess you have a relay disconnecting the speakers with a gentle "click".   

If it shuts down for a good reason it's either to protect the amp from shorted speakers
or to protect the speakers from abnormal voltages from the amp. 

If it's the latter it's a good chance the problem is very much heat related. Any part, any solderjoint,
any connector... can cause this.

I agree...more info needed.  My money is on either a short or heat but to figure it out we need to know *how* the amp shuts off.  My Sony STR-DE-897 will flash a "Self Protect" message if there is a short....yes...I have tested it.  :P :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

BobW

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 10:03:23 PM »
Page 53 is a good place to start

Protection Mode is referenced, maybe you can put a small piece of gift ribbon on the fan grate and see if the fan kicks in during operation.
No fan could be the problem. Fans are very high failure items. Look for rogue dust bunnies (careful of their teeth).   ;D
Re-check all speaker wires for stray wire strands.

Take the CDs off the vent slots, if you haven't checked that.

Good luck !
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 07:38:52 PM by Lower-Powered »

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 10:38:33 PM »
i just got this two weeks ago.  on the HK reciever there is a complete off, a power stand by mode, and then full on.  The reciever goes in the second stand by mode.  It happened Friday somwhere like 90 min of dvd watching, and then that same night 30 min later.  It happened on saturday around an hour. 
It is def warm.  I have about a 3 inch gap from the top of the reciever to the the bottowm of the shelf.  But 6 inches on the sides.  It never gives me a message, just goes off.  If anyone has an hk it goes into the orange setting.  We are about 6 ft from the speakers so the vomume isn't too loud.  I'll check all the speaker connections next.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 05:33:49 PM »
I was just gonna ask if you accidentally had the sleep timer on...guess ya checked that one.  :P

Sounds like a heat issue to me....though it shouldn't be.  Seems like there is adequate ventillation.  Is the amp on top of the other components at the top of the cabinet?  Maybe between the amp and whatever else ya have in there they are creating enough heat to trip the amp's thermal protection.  Have ya tried pulling the amp out temporarily and running it in open air?  I'd say if it runs OK out in the open and shuts down on the shelf it's a heat issue. 

Reguardless.....the thing shouldn't be doing that and I'd probably take her back.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com