Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so i got some etymotics  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: so i got some etymotics
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 04:31:57 PM »
Anyone got a link an actual size pic? I was thinking about getting a pair a while back but I figured they would be too big for my little-ass ears. I know they're small, but so are my ears.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 04:39:23 PM »
The only bummer is I have never found hearing protection that really keeps the full frequency range--they seem to affect the frequencies much more at some parts than others, many times muffling the highs which are already fairly muffled at many shows anyway.  Any suggestions?

This is a sacrifice I've become happy with.  I'd rather have the highs muffled for a 3 hour show than muffled for my entire life.   ;)

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Frank M

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 05:04:08 PM »
Anyone got a link an actual size pic? I was thinking about getting a pair a while back but I figured they would be too big for my little-ass ears. I know they're small, but so are my ears.

If you can fit normal earplugs in your ears, these shouldn't be a problem, but if earplugs are a problem, you'll need custom inserts which can be fitted by an audiologist.

EXPERIMENT FOR TRUE AUDIO NERDS:

(1) Attach a pair of subminiatue mics to the body of the Etymotics
(2) Using a portable DAT, run the mic signal from the mics to the Ety's
(3) Insert the Ety's in your ears
(4) Start the deck, and put it in your pocket
(5) Walk around town like a jackass, enjoying the wonders of real-time binaural sound

It's an interesting experience worth hearing for one's self.  There's a small period of adaptation after which you aren't as conscious of the fact you're hearing the outside world though microphones and a pocketfull of electronics.

ADK A51TL ---> blah blah blah ---> Von Schweikert VR-4 ---> my ears

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2005, 05:15:16 PM »
Ahh, the starting point for hearing aids. Shrink it all down to the size of the Etymotics themselves, add EQ in the digital domain, and have it able to run on a battery about half the size of the unit for a week, and you could be in the market! :)
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 06:52:46 AM »

Not just monitoring at shows.  I wear mine at shows even when not monitoring. I'm always suprised how many people don't wear hearing protection. Having the feeling of something stuffed in your ear might be annoying to some people, but hands down it is better to deal with the mild discomfort than have ringing ears and hearing loss.

When listening day to day you still get the benefit to your ears because you are not cranking the volume to drown out the noise around you. With the er-6's even the crappy headphone amp in my md deck is more than enough.

They are perfect for both uses. A few years back, a bunch of us were at a garaj mahal show, all stage lip. By Carl's meter spl was something like 115-125. With Nick's er-4's I could hear the recording coming through his soundfield over the pa less than 5 ft from my head. I'm sure they will have no problem blocking out the tv.

JAson

125db was the highest peak that night, I remember it well! 
Great recording to, one of my best Mid-Side jobs w/the ST-250.  Loved that thing...it was like a penis to me, only bigger.

Any way, yea, the Ety's are worth their salt.  Fucking awesome isoation.
The first time I used them was taping Kimock on 2-15-03 ....where I got to meet Scott Brown that night.
:)
Any way, this was also my first outing w/the soundfield...and I had yet to learn that I needed to engage the -20db pad at all times.  So there I am at stage lip, and its fucking LOUD.  I've got the 4ps in my ears very deep and tight, as they should be...and I'm hearing this distortion...no matter how I adjust the gain on my V3 it was still present.  I could distinguish it easily.  It went away when I hit that pad on the mics controller, of course.  But not before I thrashed the first few minutes of "up to you".  Pissed me off !

Back on topic, the Ety's are *the* monitoring system for what we do.  You can hear the recording through them at a low volume.  No cranking the cans at all to hear over the ambient sound in the room.  Nice and easy listening.  In fact, if you wear ear-plugs normaly, using these and monitoring your recording a nice comfortable level is better sounding than using Ety plugs and letting some sound squeek in though those.
I'm sure the SURE version works just as well, i'd bet.

The 4 series is regarded as one of the top headphones on the planet, and i'd put them up agaistn anything else.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 09:10:54 AM »

Maybe this will help:  http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=26&productID=0020100005

Even better:  http://www.etymotic.com/

Hmmm:  http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=31&productID=0050100000

I think i'm gonna check out jandr and see if they still have the ety's marked for $179   :D

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 03:19:49 PM »
yeah i was amazed that nick could monitor with no problems from the stage lip.  that's when i knew i needed to get some of these one day

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 03:25:32 PM »
I was considering the Etys for home listening when my wife is watching bad TV. I am using my Grado SR80s now, which I quite like... But I can still hear the TV sometimes ;)

goddamnit I need a listening room for this same reason
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2005, 08:17:56 AM »
I was considering the Etys for home listening when my wife is watching bad TV. I am using my Grado SR80s now, which I quite like... But I can still hear the TV sometimes ;)

goddamnit I need a listening room for this same reason

I used to have a separate listening room but I moved the hifi back into the main living room.  I was spending too much time locked away in a room, and didn't feel like a part of the family anymore.  I like it much better like this--even if I can't listen every night.  I use it more often, too, as our living room is attached to our kitchen.  Chances are, if I'm home, I'm in one of those two rooms.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com