Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Organizational Help  (Read 4905 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Organizational Help
« on: March 15, 2005, 09:00:01 PM »
So it's time I dealt with my piles of dvd's and cd's.  Here's an approximation of what I have:

- 100-110 store bought dvd's
- 475-500 store bought cd's
- 20-25 burned dvd's and dvd'a's that I will be putting in slim cases when they are labeled
- 2 spindles of live cd's in that picture, about 250-300 more in caselogic books and another 30 or 40 in sleeves (about 500 total)
- 65 dvd-r's worth of shows in flac/shn
- 250-300 DATs in another room and 200 more on the way from Bohannon

I'm open to any suggestions on storing and organizing all this stuff.  Anyone know of cabinets with drawers sized to fit cd's so they sit in vertically?  I could probably put all my dvd's in that shelf thing in the picture if i took all the cd's out.  I've had alot of the studio cd's in the closet but it sucks that I don't ever listen to em. 

Help!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Organizational Help
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 09:21:30 PM »
I have mentioned this solution here a few times...I have two of these cabinets to hold all of my CDs and it works great...basically file cabinets made for CDs....expensive, but the best solution I found in terms of space taken up, and the fact that they are made for CDs...

http://www.can-am.ca/

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 09:21:42 PM »
do you own your own home or .... ?
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 09:26:35 PM »
I have mentioned this solution here a few times...I have two of these cabinets to hold all of my CDs and it works great...basically file cabinets made for CDs....expensive, but the best solution I found in terms of space taken up, and the fact that they are made for CDs...

http://www.can-am.ca/

thanks nick, i'll check em out.

do you own your own home or .... ?

no, rent an apartment. 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 09:33:05 PM »
nick- have you seen anything similar made of wood?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 09:35:38 PM »
closest i have seen from wood is pier one sometimes sells the apothecary cabinets for CDs, but they dont hold nearly as much and take up more space...

I also found this link if you are looking for well made racks...had this one saved in bookmarks from being posted here I believe...

http://ujws.com/fine_products.asp

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 09:37:41 PM »
thanks for that link..no way i'm getting anything called an apothecary cabinet  :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 09:39:45 PM »
thanks for that link..no way i'm getting anything called an apothecary cabinet :P

I dont blame you...for what its worth, the cabinets dont look nearly as bad in the house...they have a fake leather looking exterior...fits my room pretty well...

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 10:15:32 PM »
uncle john's woodshop makes some kickass racks...i've had 3 of them for my dats for about 5 years now--only problem being that I now need about 4 more...  :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 09:23:23 AM »
those Ikea things are pretty nice lookin, IMO.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 09:28:06 AM »
yeah, they are...i like that second one a lot, cover everything up, make my ass look organized!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 09:57:02 AM »
What's your budget?

I picked up a whole slew of office furniture from Dania recently and at the same time picked up 3 bookcases from the Klassik collection, the 84"H wide model.  Yeah, it's veneer, but it's nice veneer (there is such a thing!).  Price was pretty reasonable, very solid construction (amost entirely metal-on-metal connection points), you can add / remove shelves as you wish, and most of their collections are modular allowing you to tailor specifically for your space and wishes.  For example, I got a bunch of extra shelves so each shelf will basically be just a bit taller than a CD case on end and added doors at the bottom for out-of-sight cabinet storage space.  I also could have added rounded interior or external corner-ends, glass cabinet doors, matching shelves / cabinets of different sizes, etc.

Another reason I went the Dania route: I had a tough time finding tall enough alternatives.  I don't want to have to lie / sit / kneel on the floor to review the CD/DVDs on my shelving.  With the Klassik collection (and probably their others as well), I can put a cabinet space at the bottom taking up about the first 30-34" from the floor, then have sufficient of space above - given the 84" height - to store plenty of discs without having to sit or kneel to review.

I have no idea about the particular Ikea unit referenced, but IME Ikea's construction leaves a lot to be desired.  For me, given a choice between a solidly constructed unit with very nice veneer and a poor or mediocre constructed all-wood pine unit - and all else being equal - I'd go with the veneer every time.  And just as a price reference point, the 84"H bookcase I got costs ~2x the Ikea, but is also ~2x as large.

If we owned instead of rented, I would've selected one of Dania's more upscale models, but for the time being these will work just fine.

You may also want to check out places like Racks and Stands, just because I didn't find anything there I liked doesn't mean you won't.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 10:18:53 AM »
the other, cheapo, DIY option: two by fours... or two by sixes...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 04:21:36 PM »
I'm thinking of ordering this:
http://spinkeeper.com/cdsowolide.html
also comes in cherry or walnut.  I kinda dig the old card catalog look.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 05:02:51 PM »
uncle john's woodshop makes some kickass racks...i've had 3 of them for my dats for about 5 years now--only problem being that I now need about 4 more...  :P

That was my first thought too

http://ujws.com/default.asp
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com