Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home Theater on a budget  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Home Theater on a budget
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:51:58 AM »
Hello, I have a tiny $200 to spend on home theater (receiver, speakers).  Speakers could either be 2.1, 4.1, or 5.1.  I don't need something that's super loud, but I would like something with decent sound quality top to bottom.  Any suggestions?  I'm also willing to buy stuff off ebay.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Home Theater on a budget
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 11:52:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure it can be done, but it will take some hunting on ebay.  The reciever would probably have to be one of the first Dolby Digital models.  Not sure you will be able to add a sub.  I'd wait until you can spend a little more or go with headphones (not a great HT experience though).

sc

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 11:58:23 AM »
karl:

Do you have any existing speakers that can be used?  It's going to be tough to buy a ht receiver on that budget, let alone a receiver and speakers. 

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 02:11:07 PM »
I have heard decent things about this unit:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=460496

I haven't heard it, so I can offer no comment.  It is within spitting distance of your target price.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 03:04:39 PM »
Hrmph.

Well, here's where I'm coming from.  I've been using self-powered computer speakers for my DVD, Boston Acoustics BA790.  Actually not a bad sound.  Problem is, if I want to change the volume, I have to stand up to go change it. 

I guess the question I should be asking is what's the best sound I can get for $200?  Self-powered like above would be fine, but I would also need a remote control.  Or receiver and speakers would be fine.  I will be more than happy with 2.1, I would rather have decent 2.1 sound than crappy 4 or 5.1.  I see a lot of those all in one type things at Best Buy or wherever (DVD, receiver and speakers).  If there's one of those types that sounds decent I would be interested in that also.

thx
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 03:14:01 PM »
If you have a dvd player that outputs DTS than this isn't a terrible option just to get a HT setup.  I have one in my basement.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2663659
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »
If you have a dvd player that outputs DTS than this isn't a terrible option just to get a HT setup. I have one in my basement.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2663659

Shoot, even if you DON'T have a dvd player that outputs dts, you could have the system quoted above and the necessary dvd for well under $200

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »
I would have my doubts that that would even fit the description of sound "decent".  If that can be bought for $45, surely I can find something for $200 that sounds at least decent.  And hopefully some people have already used the product and are satisfied with it.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 03:35:59 PM »
Just trying to help, I do not think the ROI between a $50 and a $200 budget will be all that much but YMMV.

I have that unit and it's fine for watching movies in my basement, depends what your after.

Best of luck,
Nick
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 03:39:43 PM »
Just trying to help, I do not think the ROI between a $50 and a $200 budget will be all that much but YMMV.

Agreed.  I think he'll be hard pressed to find many viable options with that budget.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 04:08:52 PM »

I have that unit and it's fine for watching movies in my basement, depends what your after.

Best of luck,
Nick

What's ROI mean?  If you have it and you think it sounds ok, then I think I'll jet over to wally world and see if they'll actually let me hear one of those things.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 04:21:18 PM »
ROI = Return On Investment.

Head over to your local stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Target, etc) and check out their Home Theater in a Box systems.  Most will include a 5.1 speaker setup with a receiver/dvd/cd player all in one.  Let your ears decide if something sounds 'decent' in your price range.  The good thing about one of these systems, is that when you're ready to upgrade, the speakers are generally small enough that it'll make a great bedroom system in the future.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 04:32:14 PM »
If you must have 5.1 now, I'd suggest that you get the $50 surround system and put $150 in the bank to save toward a better set of speakers.  Then use the $50 set-up in a bedroom or office when you upgrade the main system. Edit: If you listen to the $50 system and find it to be reasonable.  JeffK is right, you should listen to it before you buy it.

If you can wait for 5.1, I'd recommend getting a decent pair of used monitors for a two channel system and then save to upgrade your front channels in the same product line so that the monitors can become well matched rear speakers.  I think a decent 2 channel system will be more satisfiying than a compromised multichannel system, even for watching movies.

With respect to the ROI comments, you should not think of this purchase as an expense, but as an investment.  Buy something that won't get hammered on resale and that way you get a better value for your money today with the benefit of being able to sell the gear later to fund upgrades.  A $200 5.1 system will have almost no resale value, but for $200 you can find a used stereo pair of monitors that will hold that value for a few years until you are ready to replace them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 04:43:33 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com