Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What would be the likely result... (amp/speaker connection question)  (Read 2667 times)

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
I have speakers with 5 way binding posts for bi-wring.  If I leave the post connectors on the speaker, can I connect two different amps to the different sets of posts, using one amp at a time, utilizing the whole speaker range for each?  Such as one amp for audio, and one for home theater.  Is there a risk of damaging anything in trying, if only one amp were on at a time?

Sorry if that is not too clear.  I'm not likely to try it, but am interested to know the answer. 

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: What would be the likely result... (amp/speaker connection question)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:41:17 AM »
I have speakers with 5 way binding posts for bi-wring.  If I leave the post connectors on the speaker, can I connect two different amps to the different sets of posts, using one amp at a time, utilizing the whole speaker range for each?  Such as one amp for audio, and one for home theater.  Is there a risk of damaging anything in trying, if only one amp were on at a time?

Sorry if that is not too clear.  I'm not likely to try it, but am interested to know the answer. 

goose;
i thought about something similar, but never did it.  amps can put out lots of current and i wouldn't the non-driving amp's output stage RECEIVING current.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 07:15:05 AM »
Marc is exactly right here. If you're going to do it, you really need to disconnect the unused amp. You could use some kind of DPDT switch with the speaker cable to do this if you really want to have this setup.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 12:02:03 PM »
That makes sense.

Thanks.

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 07:22:02 PM »
what exactly would be the point?
the show is over go home please.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 07:27:55 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but is he not describing bi-amping or am I missing something.  I believe the premis behind bi-amping is to eliminate the cross over, which is what it seems to be you are describing or am I missing something?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 08:03:14 PM »
not quite.  he's bi-wiring with 2 amps to be used at different times - one for 2ch another for multi-ch.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 08:13:39 PM »
Cool, I get it now.  For that matter, has anyone ever tried bi-amping? 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 09:03:52 PM by ShittyTapes »
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 08:44:51 PM »
Col, I get it now. For that matter, has anyone ever tried bi-amping?

Such a ludicrous thing has never before been attempted!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 09:04:33 PM »
Why is it ludicrous.

BobW

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 08:50:44 PM »

Don't put two amps in parallel.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 08:52:18 PM by Lower-Powered »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com