Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: opinions wanted on Jolida Tube Amps  (Read 7104 times)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
opinions wanted on Jolida Tube Amps
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:30:18 PM »
I have a chance to purchase a Jolida 102b Integrated tube amp for $450.  is that a good price? anybody have any experience with jolida amps? thoughts? opinions?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 10:45:40 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re: opinions wanted on.......
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 10:33:28 PM »
anybody have any experience with jolida amps?

Scan the playback-pr0n thread.  There's one in there.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Brian

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 10:37:50 PM »
thanks!

whoa......macdaddy's amp looks a lot nicer than the one i could buy. 8)  but i bet he could give me good thoughts on the "jolida sound"

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 10:45:58 PM »
Try scanning Audio Asylum or the Audiogon forum, I think you'll probably be able to find more information there.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re: opinions wanted on Jolida Tube Amps
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 06:41:32 AM »
I've been looking at lower priced tube amps myself. :)   From what I've found that price seems average. 
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 08:25:36 AM »
I bet you'll love the amp.  Toobs = heaven.

I can't comment on that price though... I don't know... but Audiogon, and more knowledgable toob fluffers than I here, could help!  Maybe hit up Ducati - he was very helpful to me!

Just scanning Audiogon a bit:

$430
$470
$580 New - I think...

My $.02 is that it's a good price, especially being able to physically see it (presumably you can?) - also, shipping can be a bit expensive- my amp was heavy as shit, and I was charged $50 for shipping, which was prolly a ripoff, but what can ya do...?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 08:32:51 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 08:37:04 AM »
I owned a Jolida 202a for a few years--it was what really dug me into the world of tubes.  The older ones are better built, with nice PTP wiring instead of the PC boards in the new ones.  But the newest 102 has a better volume pot.

My perception of Jolida (from my 202 and another 302) is they are good, solid, decently finished, and very midrangey tube amp.  The output trafos are very weak, IMO.  They are a fair bargain at the prices they sometimes sell for--I sold my 202a for something like $400 shipped...  Dumbarse, I should have kept it for that amt.  :'(   That is a good price for the 102 if it's a new unit, with very little hours on the tubes.  If it's older or the tubes have over half wear on it, I'd be shooting for $400.  People overvalue Jolidas, IMO.

I was really missing tubes in my office rig and so I set off looking for another cheap(er) tube amp recently.  I considered the 102 as I like EL84s (generally), and I also considered the 202 as I had it before.  Also the smaller ASLs.  Then I came upon one of these:

That's a Sophia Electric "Baby" amp.  It uses some really odd tubes--5640s for input and some old Russian military tubes for output.  Self-biasing.  Mine is the lowbrow version with walnut panel and no gold knob.

I've had it in house now for about 3 weeks IIRC, and I'm really enjoying it.  It's a much better amp than my Jolida 202, IMO; cleaner and more taut bass, and far more clear and extended highs.  The mids aren't quite as lush.  I did replace the output tubes with some NOS Svets, but I haven't changed the input tubes yet.  This is one of the weaknesses of the Baby: you won't be tube rolling much with this thing.  You don't even get to bias the output tubes (that is fun for me, really, I'm sick).  And there's only one input provided, so you either need to only use one source or put a pre in front of it.  Oh, and it doesn't put out much power, so you need a small room or efficient speakers.  But it sounds a helluva lot better than a Jolida, IMO, so maybe the tradeoffs are worth it.

I'll have a full review, with strengths and weaknesses, coming (fairly) soon.  I have to finish reviewing NOS tubes in my main rig...

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 08:38:09 AM »
never heard that unit...

i love my modded 302a, but they are two different amps...

if your 102 is unmodded, that price is on the high end...

and expect to pay more in shipping than that, and make sure you insure it, and that it is packed up nicely - so that it can be dropped off of a five foot high conveyer belt and not break - that is the only way the insurance will be valid (i know this from experience)...

keep us updated, and +t for thinking about moving to tubes...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 10:18:31 AM »
Blue Book on a 102b is about $400, FWIW.

Many people say the 102 is the best sounding amp in Jolida's lineup...  And you would certainly have much tube-rolling potential with it!

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 01:57:55 PM »
awesome!  thanks for all of the comments guys, especially on that price.  I really appreciate it.  +T's all around.  The amp is in st. louis so i don't have to worry about shipping.  I have yet to call the owner.  Somebody put up a FS flyer on the bulletin board in the studio the other day and it caught my attention.

i'll let ya'll know if i decide to pick it up. 

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 04:35:38 PM »
If you pick it up, we should swap amps for a few weeks, see which is better  ;D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 04:39:03 PM »
You guys seem to be going totally tubular. 

Has anyone tried one of the hybrids?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 08:45:22 PM »
You guys seem to be going totally tubular. 

Has anyone tried one of the hybrids?

they call those joLida's hybrids (pre and power in one box). or are you talking about a tube pre and solid state power amp (or SS pre and tube power)..?

speaking from my experience, now that i have moved to tubes for critical listening, i will never go back to SS. i have no idea how others here feel...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 09:03:40 PM »
I feel the same way
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »
Same with me.  I ran all tubed, then back to all SS, then SS pre/tubed amp...  Ran SS/tubes for over a year and finally tried inserting a tubed pre...  I will never go back.  Adding some sweet NOS tubes is the icing on the cake!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com