Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: multiple digi connections limited digi inputs  (Read 6266 times)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
multiple digi connections limited digi inputs
« on: September 22, 2005, 04:02:39 PM »
Ok, so I have come to the point where my playback system has more toslink connections than spdif and I only have 1 toslink input on my current DAC.
I am considering getting a c02/c03 or a hosa or something of the likes.
Would any of you place a c0* in your playback stream knowing it is not bit perfect?
My playback system is nothing to write home about yet I still want it to be as good on playback as it can be.
I don't have any experience with these converters so I don't really know much about them. (what's their really to know?)
Basically I have 2 spdif and 1 optical in on the DAC, so I want to convert a optical to a spdif to input into the DAC
Thoughts?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: multiple digi connections limited digi inputs
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »
Is the hosa box not bit perfect?  If so, why not just use that instead of the co2?  Any time you induce a transformation via another electrical box, whatever it is, it is going to have a negative impact on the signal.  Whether or not you can hear it or not will ultimately be up to the resolution of your playback system.  I can hear the differnce between digital cables, so YMMV.

D----
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:27:53 PM »
Is the hosa box not bit perfect?  If so, why not just use that instead of the co2?  Any time you induce a transformation via another electrical box, whatever it is, it is going to have a negative impact on the signal.  Whether or not you can hear it or not will ultimately be up to the resolution of your playback system.  I can hear the differnce between digital cables, so YMMV.

D----
price for one!
I hear you about the cables, the only other option is switching cables when I want to listen to a different component
I rather not get the box personally, yet I personally don't feel like monkeying around behind the system plugging unplugging
edit to add bah I just need to get a new dac that does 24/96 anyway at least.  :-\
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 04:38:08 PM »

D----
price for one!
I hear you about the cables, the only other option is switching cables when I want to listen to a different component
I rather not get the box personally, yet I personally don't feel like monkeying around behind the system plugging unplugging
edit to add bah I just need to get a new dac that does 24/96 anyway at least.  :-\

if you have a few hundred bucks why not get the bel canto dac 1.1- it does 24/96 and has an optical and coax in and then rca outs- you can feed from both as both are hot at the same time.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:41:42 PM »

D----
price for one!

if you have a few hundred bucks why not get the bel canto dac 1.1- it does 24/96 and has an optical and coax in and then rca outs- you can feed from both as both are hot at the same time.
I need the money to get right somewhat again, team home ownership is dogging me.
It's a lot of work and money doing it by yourself.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 10:41:08 AM »
You could build a digital patchbay rather cheaply I would imagine. 
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 10:45:49 AM »
You could build a digital patchbay rather cheaply I would imagine. 
I'd rather spend the money towards updating my old dac to a newer one.
My adcom only has 1 optical and 2 spdif and only does 16 bit.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 12:29:13 PM »
Well, I bet you could do it for about 20 bucks in parts.  I will see what I can find for you.  Do they make optical splitters like coax splitters?  I would think this would work as well. 

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 12:35:53 PM »
Well, I bet you could do it for about 20 bucks in parts.  I will see what I can find for you.  Do they make optical splitters like coax splitters?  I would think this would work as well. 

i would think you would have some serious degradation in signal.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 01:04:34 PM »
Perhaps, though I would think with a voltage step up in there, it should be OK.  I have split coax signals at least 5 times in the field and it seemed to work!

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 01:47:56 PM »
Perhaps, though I would think with a voltage step up in there, it should be OK.  I have split coax signals at least 5 times in the field and it seemed to work!

working and bit accuracy are different things

I would be really concerned about doing this with an optical signal though.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 01:53:10 PM »
those splitters look to be the opposite of what I need though.
1 toslink coming from a computer into the dac 1 toslink from the cd player into the dac.
It does not look like I could feed the computer/cd player into the dac with a splitter since from reading the description it is taking one source and feeding it into 2 different sources.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 04:17:15 PM »
I'll keep looking.  Are you essentially saying, because I am a little confused, that you want to take two optical signals from two different source components, and feed one input without having to play around with connections? 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 04:17:56 PM »

Can you tell me why??

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 04:25:29 PM »
I'll keep looking.  Are you essentially saying, because I am a little confused, that you want to take two optical signals from two different source components, and feed one input without having to play around with connections? 
correct 1 source is my cd player the other source will be a computer (HTPC)
I would like to take those 2 feeds and feed them into the DAC.
Which is why I inquired about the m-audio or Hosa converter box's.
I can switch a toslink to a spdif (coax) connection.
As I mentioned earlier I have 2 spdif inputs on the DAC but only one optical input...

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 04:31:01 PM »

Can you tell me why??

why to which?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 05:43:24 PM »
easiest bet could be to swap out your htpc soundcard for one with a coax digital out (i.e. an audiophile 2496, zoltrix nightingale, etc.), OR pick up a cd player/dvd transport with a coax out for cheap.

what soundcard are you currently using in your htpc?

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 06:25:24 PM »
easiest bet could be to swap out your htpc soundcard for one with a coax digital out (i.e. an audiophile 2496, zoltrix nightingale, etc.), OR pick up a cd player/dvd transport with a coax out for cheap.

what soundcard are you currently using in your htpc?
I picked up a cheapy 7.1 dynex http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-189-8-dynex-71-channel-pci-sound-card.aspx to use, I could use my delta dio 24/96 I suppose but I would rather keep it in the machine I do my editing on. When I bought the card I thought it said spdif, well it did but their spdif is actually optical. I will end up using my HTPC more than the cd player so I don't know maybe I will just deal with swapping cables.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 10:45:36 PM »
if you get a m902 you can feed it usb from your htpc ;)  only 16/44.1 though...maybe 48 but not 24 (grace said it's a hardware limitation, which i do not believe because i have a u24 that does 24bit
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com