Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need pre/receiver help  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
need pre/receiver help
« on: November 09, 2005, 01:28:21 PM »
ok here's my current setup:
sources: denon 2910 (optical) / hd cable box (analog) >
cable: generic optical / bumblebee rca > xlr >
pre/d-a: grace m902 >
cable: dogstar rca interconnects >
amp: adcom gfa-555 >
cable: dogstar speaker cable (banana clip) >
speakers: b&w dm610i

additionally i have a sony wega 42" KDF-E42A10 that i'm currently not connecting any audio outputs from, mainly because i can't figure out how to get the digital out to work and the digi out on the cable box just gives static ???

anyways...i'm a little frustrated with the m902 for my main playback/theater (2 ch only) system.  you have to get up to switch inputs, which are limited in the first place, and all the separate remotes for volume and whatnot are a pain. 

i'm thinking about a receiver for additional inputs (i'd like to have the 2910, cable box (analog and digi), a DAT, another digi for pc, etc), plus radio ability, and a decent pre and d/a, all in one box.

i would take the m902 back to my pc reference system as i really like it there with my monitors and ability to control volume manually without having to get into the soundcard's software settings, plus the headphone amp is best placed with my reference system at this time.

let's say the budget is $700.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: need pre/receiver help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:57:32 PM »
my sony strda5000es would fit the bill quite nicely in all respects, as would the slightly lower-powered strda3000es.  Both of these are now discontinued -- the replacement strda7100es is a bit over your budget, but quite nice too.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »
my sony strda5000es would fit the bill quite nicely in all respects, as would the slightly lower-powered strda3000es.  Both of these are now discontinued -- the replacement strda7100es is a bit over your budget, but quite nice too.

onecall.net I believe is the sight, was selling refurbed units of these in your range...I own the 3000ES and love it

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 02:19:46 PM »

onecall.net I believe is the sight, was selling refurbed units of these in your range...I own the 3000ES and love it

http://onecall.com/ProductSearch.aspx?sHist=12-3
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 03:01:59 PM »
that's a nice price, would i need my amp with this?  could i even still use it?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 03:08:38 PM »
it has pre amp outs. you're good.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 03:34:02 PM »
I think you'd be better off not using the sony as a preamp and simply using the sony itself to power the speakers.  Part of my rationale for this is sony literature (that I can't find right now) that explains how the d>a process actually does not complete 'till the signal's being amplified -- thus running the sony as a pre could well compromise its sound.

I am amazed by the sound the sony provides from digital sources (due in a large part I suspect to all digital ins being resampled to DSD) through my b&w dm220s -- incredible imaging with a huge soundstage.

If you were to sell your current power amp, I think you'd find the strda7100es within your pricerange.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 04:10:43 PM »
I'd sell the Adcom, and pick up the Sony. It really is a great piece of equipment!

For that price at onecall.com, I've been recommending it to a lot of people.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 04:18:01 PM by L Ron Hoover »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 04:12:11 PM »
honestly, even with the 3000ES, I havent noticed the need for anymore power than I get..and the comments on feeding it a digital signal and the resulting soundstage...dead on

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 04:55:48 PM »
so just use the sony as an all in one to drive my speakers?  is it that good?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 05:05:11 PM »
IMHO, yes -- I can't believe the improvement I realized in my 2 channel system when I upgraded to that unit on Doug Oade's advice. 

I was quite skeptical when I bought mine, but can't say enough good about it.  In my opinion, FOR THE MONEY, nothing else touches it. 

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 10:19:26 PM »

anyways...i'm a little frustrated with the m902 for my main playback/theater (2 ch only) system.  you have to get up to switch inputs, which are limited in the first place, and all the separate remotes for volume and whatnot are a pain. 

I can understand that.
How much do you want for that nasty m902 ?

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 04:12:37 PM »
not getting rid of the m902 at this point, i still really like it for the reference system/pc playback.

i was looking at the denon avr2106 also, a little more expensive than the sony 3000es but supposedly better sounding.  any input on this?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com