Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Interconnects vs. mic cables  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Interconnects vs. mic cables
« on: January 14, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »
When recording into my Tascam, I can either use the balanced XLR or rca inputs.  I'll be using either the V3 or m148 in front.  I have the Bumblebee silver mic cables, for the interconnect end (pre>recorder) would I be better off using something other than a silver cable?  Are there different physical properties you'd want in an interconnect vs a mic cable?  I need something about 2-3 feet.  Right now I've just been using some shortened quad wire cables for interconnects, but they're a little on the short end (1 foot) and I'd like to get something a little bit longer.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Interconnects vs. mic cables
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 07:33:52 PM »
WOW ! does that work ?
It never occurred to me that ICs are wired just like mic cables....

Hmm. ICs should be about 200 ohms, mic cables about the same

Hey, why not ?

Anyone have any experiences to share ?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »
Science and intelligence may prove me wrong, but in my mind, your cables should be the same.  I use DogStar mic cables now and I just invested in some DogHouse interconnects.  It may be overkill, but I have the extra loot right now, so I play...

I think more than a few of us have thought about our recording rigs and forgotten our playback systems.  I know I did for a long time, but recently I've been concentrating on my playback - what's the point of recording at such high-quality when you can't listen to it at the same high quality???

Anyways, to get back to your cable question, I think it would be wise to get some nice playback cables, but to get a full set of BumbleBees (or anything else) may be overkill???  The star-quads are quite good for most playback applications, seems a lot of folks use them...  So you may not need or want the improvement.

My worthless thoughts,

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 02:49:21 AM »

Anyways, to get back to your cable question, I think it would be wise to get some nice playback cables, but to get a full set of BumbleBees (or anything else) may be overkill???  The star-quads are quite good for most playback applications, seems a lot of folks use them...  So you may not need or want the improvement.

My worthless thoughts,

Terry

Right now I'm pretty much just wondering about the balanced cable from my 148 to my tascam, not playback.  I might order some cables up for playback as well, for right now I just want to concentrate on getting the source squared away.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 10:30:52 AM »
Anyways, to get back to your cable question, I think it would be wise to get some nice playback cables, but to get a full set of BumbleBees (or anything else) may be overkill???

I don't think a full set of high end ICs in your playback system is overkill.  I hear differences in ICs at every point in the chain in my system and I've been rewarded by upgrades.   For the cost of a full set of Bumblebees or Dogstars or whatever, you are a long ways away from what a full set of highend cables cost from one of the commercial houses.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 10:02:47 PM »
So...  Today I received my DogHouse speaker cables from Simpy (thanks) and last week I received my DogHouse interconnects from Todd.

I was looking for a little more high end detail.  Switching from RatShack high-end (oxymoron???) to these silver interconnects has made a big difference as has going from monster copper speakers to the silvers.  Much crisper, brighter and greater detail though not as fat and warm perhaps.  Fine tuning on the sub fixed that and I think it sounds much better. 

I'm going to play with these new cables for a while, get them burned in, etc.  I think everyone here should invest in some nice playback cables.

Thanks to ToddR for his work in making these fine cables!!!

Terry Watts

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:14:57 PM »
Much crisper, brighter and greater detail though not as fat and warm perhaps. 

same thing I have found.  Running silver cables as my interconnects and when I tried out a set of the silver clad speaker cables, the entire system was just too bright for me.  So I went back to heavy guage copper speaker cables and silver interconnects and I have found that I like the balance.

That being said, the next thing I will do is try out a complete system of cables (to get them all to match so to speak) as Michael and I were talking and he believes in the theory that it helps balance the system, by not mix matching types of cables.  Theoretically I can buy into it, but want to hear it.

There is a guy here in town who makes high end cables, I am hoping I can convince him to let me trial a full set to see what differences I can hear...

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 11:40:14 AM »
i was the same way- trying to match cables throughout.  the only cables in my system that arent the same are the cables going from my turntable to my phono pre- vpi makes a set of cables that are just extensions of the silver tonearm cable.  i liked the idea of having basically a long tonearm cable go straight to the phono pre.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

cshepherd

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 01:08:05 PM »
I would agree with jpschust.  I think your best solution is to find the cable you think sounds best, and use it everywhere in your system.  Just don't look at my sig at the moment   :o .  I was all set to get a set of 'The Second' all-carbon mic cables until I heard an Atlas all-copper RCA take 'The First Ultimate' (VdH's all-carbon unbalanced RCA cable) out to the curb over the weekend.  It's left me wondering how to do a solid a/b comparison of Atlas and Van den Hul XLR cables, or if it's even necessary at this point.

Chris

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 06:05:44 PM »
To elaborate on what Nick posted, I have been through a variety of cables mostly because I didn't have a lot of money to spend on them.  I'd try to find something in my range at the time and based on recommendations or something I read.  I did go through some nice moderately priced cables.   I moved them around and found that each cable had different results in different paths.   It got out of hand, with the different permutatons and always trying to figure out the best configuration when I would upgrade an active component.  So just from a peace of mind approach, I've been trying to get to one single manufacturer. 

Lately I've been comparing a few different cables in the $100-$150 range for 1m IC.  The Reality, VH copper bullet pulsar and z-squared toplines are all right in the zone.  I am favoring the z-squared by a small margin but each cable does something a bit better/different than the other.  I can't decide which is best.   I have finally got to a point where my rig is fairly synergistic and I've stopped chasing cables.   Going to a single family of wire through out has helped that in my opinion.  Also, having the preamp and both amps from the same manufacturer has probably helped.  Maybe I'm just getting lazy ;-)

I was all set to get a set of 'The Second' all-carbon mic cables until I heard an Atlas all-copper RCA take 'The First Ultimate' (VdH's all-carbon unbalanced RCA cable) out to the curb over the weekend.  It's left me wondering how to do a solid a/b comparison of Atlas and Van den Hul XLR cables, or if it's even necessary at this point.

Chris

So what do those Van den Hul cables sound like?  I was interested in them a few years ago but never followed through.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

cshepherd

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 09:28:58 PM »
I like some more than others.  The Integration Hybrid is a decent cable.  It seems a little clustered up top in the home system.  'The First Ultimate' (all carbon unbalanced IC) will make it impossible to go back to the Integration once you hear the difference.  It's all-carbon conductor has a smooth, balanced presentation.  It might be a little too smooth for some, but it's a very popular cable.  It does a lot of things right. That said, I've been a big fan of the Integrations as mic cables.  I preferred the sound of the Integration Hybrid to the Harmonic Tech Truth-Link cables I'd been using in the rig.  They brought more dynamics and detail to the tape and the Integration's slight zing up top seemed to work in it's favor.  Having liked The First Ultimate better than the Integration in the home system, 'The Second' (all carbon balanced IC) seemed to be the logical next move for the rig...BUT...
We had the opportunity to audition two different rca ICs from Atlas recently, the Navigator All Copper @ $350 & the Titon All Copper @ $600.  The Atlas cables out-performed the VdH cables ('The First Ultimate' & 'Inspiration Hybrid') at both price points, which stunned us to be honest.  We're getting ready to clear out our VdH demo cable stash on Audiogon to make way for the new Atlas ICs. 
We've got a set of Navigator All Copper mic cables on order to evaluate.  A 4m set retails for $800.  Van den Hul's Integration Hybrid 4m set retails for $500.  We also have a set of Van den Hul's 'The Mic Hybrid' mic cables to evaluate. They retail at $250 for a 4m set.  I have not had a chance to use The Mic Hybrids in the field yet.  They look nice though   ;D.  We'll be comparing the Atlas and VdH mic cables as well.  At some point in the near future, we'll have a coherent line of high end mic cables to offer TS.com folks.  Sorry to have hijacked the topic a bit.  I couldn't talk about Van den Hul without mentioning Atlas.  It was impossible, really.

http://www.hifi.org.uk
http://www.vandenhul.com

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com