Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I think i'm in love...  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
I think i'm in love...
« on: February 19, 2006, 08:39:02 AM »
with this new amp I snagged on agon.

It started life as a Ric Schultz design of Electronic Visionary Systems; EVS http://www.tweakaudio.com/ its a custom job, in a very plain jane black chasis w/handles.  small...only 15lbs and maybe the size of a small CD player.  actualy, my Toshiba is larger than this amp.  Not much to look at. 

Its powered by ICEpower modules, 250w into 8ohm and doubles down at 4ohms.  Its been extra mod'd and has some tweaks going on.  For example, there are little holes in the rear where the wires off of the guts come out and are wrapped around the speaker binding post.  With this, the speaker cable connects directly to this wire.  very "direct" approach.
Its got balanced inputs, and RCAs as well.  a little switch in the back can be thrown to designate which input you are using.
This amp design he doesn't use any more, he's "progressed" to something that he thinks sounds better.  But man..am I ever happy with this.  One of those times when I took a chance on an unseed, unheard product.  My decision was just based on the buzz about ICEpower and from the excellent reputation of Ric.

Currently, my Sony 3000es is feeding the amp via its preamp outputs.  not ideal.  I'll be replacing the front end w/a Symphonies + that is "in the mail" right now.  Should be here this week.
The sound of this amp is music to my ears.  MUCH more power than the sony.  total blackness for a background...and I thought the Sony was great in that regard w/the power conditioner.  this is even better.  Image isolation is outstanding..the soundstage is far bigger, deeper, more "tangeble" in an auditory sense of the word.  Bass responce is massive.  Way more "Oooomph!!!" than the 3000es was pumping out, and I thought that to be a strength of that box.  But the big change is the fluidity of the music.  I guess this is more musical sounding, for lack of better words.  I can soak into my couch, relax...everthing just sounds so "right", so involving, so warm and liquidy smooth..like a good frappe' for the ears.

I'll post a pic of it, but there isn't much to see.

Next up, will be a DAC.  who wants to let me borrow a BelCanto so that I can put it up against the Benchmark and the analog out put of my Toshiba SD9000??

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: I think i'm in love...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:20:54 PM »
I was wondering when you were getting this.  I check out his site and saw he is now using the UCD modules.  Waiting on the results from the amp shootout the guys at audiocircle are doing next weekend.  I'm thinking about using the diycable approach with the mods Ric has laid out on his website.  Might just talk to him about amps for the 2 front channels and build my own center and rear amps.

What amps are you comparing?  Just the Sony internals or others you've heard in your personal setup?

sc

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 03:16:58 PM »
well, just the sony for now.  I dont like to compare from memory.
the Stingray is still the finest amplification i've had in my house.  personal tastes I guess.
I like this better than i liked my McCormick...but we'll see.  it took time for me to not like that amp.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 09:13:14 PM »
Glad to hear this is sounding good, could have been a little scary. As far as the Sony was concerned................ YUCK!!! But I told you that enough  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 09:17:54 PM »
the sony sounds good.  you're just closed to the idea

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 10:08:23 PM »
Nope, it did not sound good, IMO of couse. It was too grating for me, not smooth & edgey. I am glad you enjoyed it & for it's price point it was probably OK but there are better choices out there for me.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 07:38:56 AM »
But Carl, Doug swears by them.  isn't that all the endorsement you need? ;-)

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 07:41:15 AM »
But are they in his reference system?  8)

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 08:01:27 AM »
they would be if he was working w/my budget.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »
and like I said for me in MY system there are better choices ;D

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 06:51:44 PM »
Nick,

You got any pics? 

I'm waiting on the class D shootout at the NTAJ.  I plan to email Ric about his latest UCD based amps this week, but I hope the Exodus does ok as I'd really like to be more involved from a DIY pov.

sc 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 02:26:32 PM »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 02:33:25 PM »
thanks!

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 09:59:12 AM »
Nick, how do you like the Symphonies+?  I've had one for a few months now, and it's pretty nice. Great imaging, though I could swear the balance leans a touch to the left with the knob centered...  Mine is a little "hissier" than I would like as well, but overall I'm happy!!
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 12:10:52 PM »
hissier eh?  mine has more noise w/it than w/o it.  but it sounds so damn nice...and I dont listen to much black background amplification any way.
:)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com