Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Record Stabilizer...anyone use one?  (Read 5208 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Record Stabilizer...anyone use one?
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »
just curious...typical of anything in audio you can find reviews that the results were breathtaking and some that feel their money would have been better spent on beer...curious if anyone has any practical experience...

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
Re: Record Stabilizer...anyone use one?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
I use the one that came with my Pro-Ject table every now and again, but haven't every really noticed a "jaw dropping" difference.

Now, that anti-static spray kicks some serious ass, imo....
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:43:24 PM »
I use one on my Thorens but it isn't the weight kind since my table is sprung. Honestly I don't hear a difference but it has to help on slightly warped records.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »
Record weight benefit is mainly a function of the design of your record mat

Some flat foam types are anything but neutral/damped sounding producing frequency dependent coloration through 'spring-back' vibrations from stylus acoustic and nearby speaker energies. Some hard surface mats are sculptured to 'float' large sections of the disc in air that may help keep the disc's backside cleaner, but allows the disc surface to wobble like a sounding board.

With these above types using a record weight will have audible benefit.   

Best mats are flat and made of Sorbothane, vinyl formulations, or similar very heavy dampening materials that contacts the entire record surface.  However, I found difficult finding really well damped mats so for me record weights have benefit for the majority of turntable/mat combinations.

Audible benefits of using a record weight are are increased clarity, consistent natural sounding playback (regardless of disc thicknesses), and reduced bass feedback from loud subs.

Made about a hundred of these out of aluminum weighing 2 lbs in my Father's machine shop in the 70's, gave them to friends, and sold a few to local audio shops.  Still have a few around!

So what's on YOUR turntable?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »
but it has to help on slightly warped records.

that is what I would think as I have a couple that may benefit...

Made about a hundred of these out of aluminum weighing 2 lbs in my Father's machine shop in the 70's, gave them to friends, and sold a few to local audio shops.  Still have a few around!

good info, thanks!  I use a felt mat with a glass platter so I am guessing that there would be some benefit...but I am not in the market to spend the $$$ that some cost...may need to look into the homemade route...

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:20:28 AM »
If you are using an unsuspended table a heavy weight will work. If your table is suspended then you must use a screw on clamp or press clamp like this

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AMICCLAMPB

I use the Pickering from England that I really like for my Thorens

http://www.pickeringuk.com/cfb.html
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:38:10 AM »
I am actually using the Rega P1 (glass platter/felt mat), so the heavy weight should work...will take a look at the musicdirect option...

Thanks!  +Ts all around

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:59 AM »
I did some research on some of the record mats and even though they are expesnsive, the difference was stunning to a lot of people. My MMF-5 has suspension, a record clamp, and a glass platter, but came with a felt mat. I decided to get a cork mat ($11.99 at Elusive Disc) for my cleaning machine (the machine I was building) and tried it over the felt mat with much better results. I have since purchased another cork mat (for the cleaner) and have been using the cork on the MMF-5 ever since. It seemed I was able to get the record flatter using this method since the felt would become compressed around the record clamp.
Hope this helps...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 12:14:55 PM »
thanks all...in reading it doesnt appear that rega recommends use of a clamp due to their design...cant find a straight answer though...need to find a way to contact them directly...

cshepherd

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 12:38:49 PM »
thanks all...in reading it doesnt appear that rega recommends use of a clamp due to their design...cant find a straight answer though...need to find a way to contact them directly...

Nick, I'll ask Rega what their issue with record clamps are and get back with you, probably later today but not later than tomorrow.

Chris

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »

Nick, I'll ask Rega what their issue with record clamps are and get back with you, probably later today but not later than tomorrow.

Chris

cool, thanks Chris...specifically looking at the J.A. Mitchell clamp towards the bottom of this page:

http://www.artech-electronics.com/canada/products/michell/mich_upg.html

appears to have been made for lower spindle type turntables like Rega...but there is some internet jabber on other message boards that Rega at one time recommended against using clamps, as their turntable design wouldnt benefit...would be curious to hear it straight from them..

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 02:01:04 PM »
The weight puts additional stress on the precision turntable bearing that all manufacturers advise against. 

However, no accounts of bearing damage reported with careful use that avoids repeated hammering the device down hard on the spindle than can happen if applied off-center. 

Clamps made of plastic that grip the spindle avoid placing additional force on the bearing, but most have less -rigid construction and do not provide consistant or good enough stabilization. 

A few turntable manufacturers have designed their spindle with mechanism to grip a custom made (just for their turntable) clamp to work better than most after-market clamping devices.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

cshepherd

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 02:44:29 PM »
Looking around online, there is a load of people advising against using record clamps on Rega tables.  Guysonic pretty much covered the issues (thanks alot Q-guy!) and I wouldn't recommend going against the common opinion regarding using clamps and Rega tables.   I haven't spoke with our distributor yet, but I don't think he's going to recommend using one.  Personally, I don't think its worth the risk. 

Chris

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »
Looking around online, there is a load of people advising against using record clamps on Rega tables.  Guysonic pretty much covered the issues (thanks alot Q-guy!) and I wouldn't recommend going against the common opinion regarding using clamps and Rega tables.   I haven't spoke with our distributor yet, but I don't think he's going to recommend using one.  Personally, I don't think its worth the risk. 

Chris

thanks Chris...I will be interested to hear the distributors input, but I have basically come to the same conclusion as well...

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 11:12:44 AM »
OK, I'm a n00b on this, but I'm assuming my Denon DP-755 (jeez, I think that's the model, I'm not at home) is -not- suspended, 'cause the bearing/platter is not "springy" in the plinth?  And if I'm correct in that, and I have a hard-rubber type mat (can't remember the name of it either, something from the early 80's that isn't made anymore I don't think, and was on my table when I bought), I would benefit from a weight?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com