Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need some more punch  (Read 5993 times)

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
I need some more punch
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:54:41 PM »
I just got a new set of JBL BALBOA 30, 3 way floor speakers and they don't sound there best unless my little sony 50ish watt a channel is cranked. Even when its cranked, its not that loud. Anyway I have a set Bose 201s (to add to this 2 ch. system) on the way and need something with enough punch, to make them both loud and "good enough" at low levels. Any suggestions. I would consider cheap old/used ebay stuff to new stuff up to $500.   

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: I need some more punch
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »
Try Audiogon.  You can do a zip code search there to find local stereo gear.  That way you can go over and listen before you buy. 

I have also had luck with Craigs List.  I found both my speakers and sub on there.

Personally, I think you ought to get an amplifier to drive your speakers.  If your Sony receiver has a amp-out, you're in luck.  Pick up an amp and rock out. 

I use a B&K ST-140.  Its a inexpensive but solid amp.  I have it match to an older Sony ES pre-amp.  Sounds pretty good to me... 

Terry
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:48:14 PM by twatts »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:51:20 PM »
Not sure where you live, but here is one near me...

Terry

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/ele/382530187.html

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:32:24 AM »
no amp out :( . I am thinking my route is going to be; find a cheap used integrated unit to get buy, then research and save up for something really nice.

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:18:40 AM »

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:23:54 AM »
I think you're much better off picking something used up from agon... if you don't like it, you can always put it back up on audiogon and reclaim your cost.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 09:32:24 AM »
A quick google search didn't turn up any reviews, and you're right, it does seem a bit no-name.

I would do some searching here:

www.audiogon.com

Also, here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?board=103.0

Good luck!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:13 AM »
It's $300 over your budget, but I would get one of these:
http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Amp_page.html

The word been out for a while on the B&O ICEPower modules: they're amazing, so they say.  Companies like Bel Canto and Jeff Rowland are simply putting ICEPower modules in their fancy chassis and charging excessive fees.  I understand that Bel Canto uses the module completely stock, but I don't know if Rowland modifies them.  On the other hand, Ric Schultz tweaks them and still offers them at very reasonable prices. 

I've had my eye on a pair of 500W ICEPower monos for a while.  I love my tubes, but a good Class-D amp eats live recordings for breakfast!

-Frank

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 09:56:26 AM »
I just got a new set of JBL BALBOA 30, 3 way floor speakers and they don't sound there best unless my little sony 50ish watt a channel is cranked. Even when its cranked, its not that loud. Anyway I have a set Bose 201s (to add to this 2 ch. system) on the way and need something with enough punch, to make them both loud and "good enough" at low levels. Any suggestions. I would consider cheap old/used ebay stuff to new stuff up to $500.   

My advice never buy speakers named after a bad boxing movie :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »

LOL! +T that was a good laugh

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »

Thank you very much "I will be here all week folks" :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 02:22:30 PM »

Thank you very much "I will be here all week folks" :)

You would think they would provide lots of 'punch'
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:34:53 AM »
IMO...
this is where a better amp comes into play.
not necessarily more watts, but better ones.  Something that operates in class A most of the time and has a nice strong current.

case in point...
my new monoblocks are only 15wpc more than my last amp, but the difference they make is astounding.  dont need my subwhoofer any more as a result because they are driving my speakers w/much more authority.

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 08:44:22 AM »
bigger amps bigger sound = american hifi :djsmilie:

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »
IMO...
this is where a better amp comes into play.
not necessarily more watts, but better ones.  Something that operates in class A most of the time and has a nice strong current.

yeah, uh huh!  I got a Musical Fidelity A220 from A-gon for $420... I love it.  It has nice warmth, and drives my Heresy's quite nicely.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com