Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap preamp for my bedroom recs  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Giant_Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Cheap preamp for my bedroom recs
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:28:53 AM »
Hi guys, I have a Zoom H1 and a Shure SM57.. all I want to do is to record me playing the guitar with the mike thru the Zoom. I know the recorder is not a great piece of gear but it suits my needs perfectly, so I don't need nothing else more 'advanced'.

Do I need a preamp or can I run the mike straight thru the recorder (I need an XLR->mini-jack adapter though)?

In case, are there any cheap preamp available (less than 100$ ~ less than 50$ would be the deal for me)? (I just need a volume control, nothing else)

Thank you!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Cheap preamp for my bedroom recs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
Hi guys, I have a Zoom H1 and a Shure SM57.. all I want to do is to record me playing the guitar with the mike thru the Zoom. I know the recorder is not a great piece of gear but it suits my needs perfectly, so I don't need nothing else more 'advanced'.

Do I need a preamp or can I run the mike straight thru the recorder (I need an XLR->mini-jack adapter though)?

In case, are there any cheap preamp available (less than 100$ ~ less than 50$ would be the deal for me)? (I just need a volume control, nothing else)

Thank you!

Chris Church has a preamp that is around $100 that I think would fit your needs. He's in the Retail Section of this forum. You would still need the adaptor to get to another plug size on the mic end.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:49:55 AM »
There are lots of inexpensive preamps available that would suit your needs as well, especially if you have AC power available.  Check out the Nady and ART preamps, as well as maybe the BlueTube by Presonus.

I believe all of those can be had for less than $75 new.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Giant_Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
I am recording in my bedroom so I have AC power :)

From what I know I don't need phantom power, will a cheap Behringer mixer do the work?

CA's stuff is too stealthy for me, and it takes long to build and ship (I'm in EU). I'll take a look at the Presonus and the other manifacturer's site.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
There are lots of inexpensive preamps available that would suit your needs as well, especially if you have AC power available.  Check out the Nady and ART preamps, as well as maybe the BlueTube by Presonus.

I didn't even think of AC power. fail.  :-[
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »

^^^
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
I've never used the Zoom recorder, but could he possibly use an XLR to 1/4" transformer like THIS, slide a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter over the 1/4" end and plug the SM57 directly into the Zoom or the computer he will be processing the tracks with?  I've seen these in just about every decent music store I can think of so they're pretty readily available and cheap.

That said, the ART preamps are dependable and inexpensive.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com