Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 & Writing to CF Only Report  (Read 4490 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
722 & Writing to CF Only Report
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:00:15 PM »
So i purchased a Transcend 8GB CF card to use this weekend since I'd be doing a good bit of stealthing outdoors in the sun. Main goal was to try to reduce the heat that is generated from using the HD and Phanton power. I had successfully written several hours to this brand and size card last week when I was doing some taping with Macdaddy. I inserted his card directly in the 722 from the package and it was immediately recognized. the first night we tested the card show was getting ready to start so I didn't have time to format the card. i was writing to both the IN HDD and CF card and everything seemed to work fine. The next couple nights we used the same card, still not formatted by the 722 and again everything went fine so I decided to order myself one ($175 from Newegg shipped).

my new card arrived friday in time for the festival on saturday. i stuck the card in the 722 and formatted to ensure there would be no issues even though the 722 recognized the card straight out of the package. 1st set on Saturday was Little Feat. Ian was taping as well so I figured it would be a great time to test the CF Card only function. everything seemed to be working fine when I checked it during the show once. end of the show i reached down into my bag and pressed stop then powered the device down. since we were trying to be low-pro I did not look inside the bag while doing this, since I have the button locations memorized. I went to power back up for the next set and got a message saying that the card was not formatted and then asked if I wanted to format now. I chose to not format and instead tried running the CF Repair function. Both times I tried running the repair the 722 froze and I had to disconnect the battery and restart, which then prompted a HDD Repair. Running out of time I took the card out and set it back to HDD only. I haven't had a chance to hook the card up to my computer yet, but I am hoping the set is on there somewhere and is recoverable.

Although I can't confirm how much was recorded, I was very happy to see that the heat from the unit was significantly reduced, especially when compared to how warm Ian's 722 was. Not sure if I just got a bad card or what, but it seems that writing to the CF card only is a great way to reduce the heat the unit generates. Unfortunately this weekend would have been perfect for running continuous field tests to see how much heat it reduces after continual use, but hopefully i'll get the card problem taken car of and can re-test and report back.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: 722 & Writing to CF Only Report
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:31:57 PM »
+t for testing. 

It probably wouldn't hurt to format that CF in Windows when connected via firewire, this seems to solve a lot of similar problems in various recording devices vs. using the unit's internal format mechanism.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »
weird.

it is the same one, right..? 8gig 120x

we literally opened the cf package, and put the card in the 722 and it worked. and then it worked again, and then it worked again, and i had taken the card out each time, and put it back in...

whe i used it in the p2, i put it in, the p2 prompted me to reforma, and i did...

sorry to hear of your troubles, but at least we know you are on the right path to reduce the heat...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:46:24 PM »
weird.

it is the same one, right..? 8gig 120x

we literally opened the cf package, and put the card in the 722 and it worked. and then it worked again, and then it worked again, and i had taken the card out each time, and put it back in...

whe i used it in the p2, i put it in, the p2 prompted me to reforma, and i did...

sorry to hear of your troubles, but at least we know you are on the right path to reduce the heat...

exact same card. guess i would have been better off not formatting it  ::)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »
the only thing i can think of is maybe you hit the wrong button, but i still dont see how that would fubar the card so it had to be reformatted, unless, you thought you pushed stop, and didnt, and then powered down...

weird, though.

i have a few of the mellower evenings coming up, so if you wanna come along, it could be a nice place for us to run some tests, with a rig running, so we know we arent losing things, and we can putz around with the 722 and see what might be happening...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 12:29:21 AM »
my 722 and computer both prompt me to reformat when the card is inserted. i tried one or 2 recovery programs so far with no luck, haven't completely written it off as gone yet so i don't want to format and test quite yet. i have a feeling it was either a bad card, or else something was just off about the format in the 722. im about out of options so as soon as i reformat and test again i'll report back, but I would say from the experiences Mac and I had with his card its not the manufacturer.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 12:45:21 AM »
i have been using a 8gb card with the 722, and it works great. 

jon
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »
damn, that sucks, Mikey!
sorry to hear that.

Jon,
Thanks for the input.
Does the unit run cooler than it would if recording to the HD?

runs cooler, because of no HD spinning.  i don't even have a hd in it now, I tried to put a 120 in and it didn't work, so i am sending it to SD monday to put in for me.  and u get bettery battery time with just the cf

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 04:07:20 PM »
interesting. so it functions without the hd in it?

yep, just put record to CF only in options. 

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:34:54 PM »
believe I may have a bad card

i was never able to recover the files from the CF, was continually prompted to format, some programs wouldnt recognize it etc. reformatted on my computer and gave it to Ian to use on jamcruise with his r-1.

just heard back that he had nothing but problems with the card as well - basically never recorded although the r-1 appeared as though it was. when he connected it to his computer, he was prompted to format the card. sending this one back to newegg or the manufacturer.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 10:36:22 PM »
believe I may have a bad card

i was never able to recover the files from the CF, was continually prompted to format, some programs wouldnt recognize it etc. reformatted on my computer and gave it to Ian to use on jamcruise with his r-1.

just heard back that he had nothing but problems with the card as well - basically never recorded although the r-1 appeared as though it was. when he connected it to his computer, he was prompted to format the card. sending this one back to newegg or the manufacturer.

sucks, did he lose stuff?

what kind of card?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »
Transcend 8GB CF

i believe it was just Disco Biscuits  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com