Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

48 kHz vs 44.1 kHz sample rate

<< < (2/21) > >>

rippleish20:
I record and post at 24/48 ; it seems to me i nthis day and age people should be able to handle this...

Papaphunk:
I record in 24 Bit/44.1 gives me about 2 hours 15 minutes recording time for each set. 24/48 gives me about 2 hours 5 minutes, and alleviates the headaches of having to add on that extra encore to the 24/48 recording I've found. Relistening difference is negligble imho.

heathen:

--- Quote from: rippleish20 on September 14, 2020, 10:12:11 AM ---I record and post at 24/48 ; it seems to me i nthis day and age people should be able to handle this...

--- End quote ---

Up until recently I was distributing everything in 16/44.1 (recording in 24/48), but then I came to the realization that you're pointing out.  I record in 24/48 and I'll generally distribute stuff in 16/48.

EmRR:
Is anyone still burning CD's?!?  That's the only reason I can think to stick with 44K1.  48 works with video and all media players. 

Following on what DSatz said, there IS a lot of suspect equipment out there, very EXPENSIVE suspect equipment you wouldn't suspect of being.....suspect.  I've heard lots of cases where cymbals and acoustic instrument treble was noticeably better at 48 over 44K1, observing the long pattern results from multiple recording sessions with the same equipment, different sample rates.  As to high rates, I used to have multiple converters that clearly sounded their best at 88K2 or higher, now there's much less observable difference.   

I worked at 44K1 for years when everything was going to CD, as it allowed me to mix directly to the same tape medium with the mix in sync with the multitrack.  That was the ONLY reason I ever stuck with 44K1.  I've worked at 88K2 or 96K for 14 years now.  In my few interactions with record labels, they all want 96K files. 

morst:
44.1 is for compatibility with wasteful and outmoded plastic.
Video Sync is easiest at 48k.
If your target audience includes dogs and birds, or the intended use of your recordings is to pitch shift them downwards more than one octave, then I suggest using f(s) rates higher than 48k, else not.
I have finally settled at recording at 24/48 and distribution of finalized work at 16/48, as none of my recordings exceed 96dB s/n.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version