Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Outdoor (maybe rainy) recording

<< < (2/3) > >>

vanillablue:

--- Quote from: nulldogmas on March 20, 2024, 11:48:34 AM ---Are you running card or omni caps? Cards will pick up about 10,000x as much wind noise. (All figures estimates.)

--- End quote ---

Thanks so much!
I am running cards. The CMC-4U's will definitely pick up wind noise - they sometimes pick up AC vent noise in clubs - so your advice to have more protection is really helpful.

vanillablue:
[quote author=Gutbucket link=topic=204628.msg2409740#msg2409740 date=1710949371

Rain is best avoided. If you want to brave it and keep recording there are steps you can take.  But be aware that it will often audibly impose itself on the recording anyway.  A couple options for the mics: Keep a plastic bag ready to throw over the mics - you will hear the droplets impact and the bag will rustle if there is wind.  Rig up a small umbrella over the mics and throw a small towel over the umbrella to minimize the droplet impact sound, or better a piece of non-woven filter material the same size as the umbrella that will break up the energy of the droplets without becoming saturated.  The umbrella can be deployed before the rain arrives so you needn't sit there wondering when to do something once it does, eliminating stress.  A baby stroller parasol works well.

Place your gear bag on a stool, hook it to the mic your stand, or otherwise support it off of the ground. Bring a thick garbage bag into which the recording bag and whatever else you need to keep dry will easily fit.  When the rain comes, you can put everything into the bag, seal it up, and needn't stop recording. When you do that, make sure the mic cables running into the bag form a loop that hangs down lower than their entry point into the bag.  That forms a "drip loop" preventing water running down the cables from entering the bag.
[/quote]

You're right that it would be best to just avoid the rain. The thing is, it's my kid's band that is playing, so I'm parentally obligated to give it a shot  8)
I don't have a stand but I think there will be some chairs or stools around, so will bring a waterproof bag and do the best I can. Thanks for the advice!

Craig T:
FOH should have cover.  Find a way to place your mics under it.  Telling them your kid's performing may yield some clamp/stand space.

morst:

--- Quote from: Craig T on March 20, 2024, 03:33:45 PM ---FOH should have cover.  Find a way to place your mics under it.  Telling them your kid's performing may yield some clamp/stand space.

--- End quote ---

or a board feed?!?!

vanillablue:
Thanks for all the tips. In the end the weather cooperated with no rain and minimal wind, so I got a pretty good recording.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version