Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 92947 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
What's the generally preferred external battery option for the 680 these days?

My stash of old 9V "DVD" LiIOn batteries are growing unreliable and I think it's time to move to something else.

I still use 2 old powerrunners that keep on ticking, and a mountain of various Tekkeon and Tekkeon knockoffs. For a while they were available on eBay at great prices, but I think that ship has sailed. I like the knockoffs better than the actual Tekkeons. Personally always go with 12 volts and in addition (try to remember to) keep fresh batteries in the deck just in case...

I think there are some good options in Amazon, but generally not inexpensive. Others can comment with their own personal experience, because these are the only 2 battery types I have ever used on anything requiring more than 5V.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  Definitely going with 12V rather than 9, and always use internal AA's as a safety backup.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
We just got our DR680mkII (already have a mk1), loaded firmware 1.02, and now the backlight goes out even on AC. Oddly, I found only one circumstance when it does not - when running on batteries, then plugging in the AC plug, and before hitting any button. After hitting any button, the recorder now backlight timeouts. Anyone else? Or have I missed something new?

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
We just got our DR680mkII (already have a mk1), loaded firmware 1.02, and now the backlight goes out even on AC. Oddly, I found only one circumstance when it does not - when running on batteries, then plugging in the AC plug, and before hitting any button. After hitting any button, the recorder now backlight timeouts. Anyone else? Or have I missed something new?

Weird. And you're certain you're on AC? The battery level icon changes to an AC icon? If so, I'd contact Tascam. The backlight always stays on when plugged in for me, and I'm looking at the manual now and don't see any settings for when on AC.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #139 on: June 05, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
Thanks guys.  Definitely going with 12V rather than 9, and always use internal AA's as a safety backup.

I'm in the same boat GB. I just bought one of these yesterday: https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref=lp_8899093011_1_7?srs=8899093011&ie=UTF8&qid=1496690209&sr=8-7
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »

I'm in the same boat GB. I just bought one of these yesterday: https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref=lp_8899093011_1_7?srs=8899093011&ie=UTF8&qid=1496690209&sr=8-7

I expect that will work well for you, Chuck.  I picked up the slightly larger capacity version of the same back in March and it's working nicely.  Had no problems recording 6 phantom powered channels all day (~12 hrs +) at a fest.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
 :coolguy:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »

Weird. And you're certain you're on AC? The battery level icon changes to an AC icon? If so, I'd contact Tascam. The backlight always stays on when plugged in for me, and I'm looking at the manual now and don't see any settings for when on AC.

Quite sure; the icon changes, but after pressing any button, the light times out as selected in the menu. Even with no batts. I tried reloading the firmware and doing the reset to factory in the menu, no change. It didn't behave like this on the original firmware 1.0 something. I'm skeptical Tascam will bother to answer; it must be my fault....

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2017, 12:25:55 PM »

Quite sure; the icon changes, but after pressing any button, the light times out as selected in the menu. Even with no batts. I tried reloading the firmware and doing the reset to factory in the menu, no change. It didn't behave like this on the original firmware 1.0 something. I'm skeptical Tascam will bother to answer; it must be my fault....

I may be dead wrong about this, as I do not have my deck here at work, and maybe you already know this and it is what you have set, but I remember on some Tascams, you had to put the backlight setting to "OFF" which would imply no backlighting, but on some decks (not all of course that would be too simple) actually means the auto off function is disabled, therefore the backlight is always on.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2017, 01:09:36 PM »
Yes, I tried backlight set to OFF, and yes, it's then always on! But I want the old behavior: times out on batts, and always on on AC. I never run a battery pack into the AC plug, that may concern some users.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
I'm skeptical Tascam will bother to answer; it must be my fault....

I contacted them a while back with some operating questions/issues with mine. Didn't get resolved via e-mail, but they did say to call. I haven't done so yet, but it may be worth a shot:

"Please give us a call at 323-727-7617 option #3 when you are in front of the unit. The issue you described would be best addressed over the phone.

Our hours: 8 a.m to 5 p.m Monday-Friday (pacific time) Lunch hour 12-1 pm"

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
Yes, I tried backlight set to OFF, and yes, it's then always on! But I want the old behavior: times out on batts, and always on on AC. I never run a battery pack into the AC plug, that may concern some users.

The DR680 MKII does not have that feature. I know I really liked that feature on my HD-p2 because at a festival or in the event of a bad external battery upon switching to internals I was alerted by the screen going dark that I was on internals. There were specific menu settings for battery separate from AC, so it was easy to have it set up as you mention. I had the MKI for a while and I never saw that feature being available, but you have the MKI and if you say it is, then I guess it is, but I do not see anything that separates the AC setting from battery setting. I have never seen it as available on the MKII, and I always thought that was pretty much the same as on the MKI, which I had for about a year or 2, it is one of many features that the HD-p2 has that most later models do not. For me it is not much of an issue, because I do use an external battery, and I think I had a Tekkeon go bad on me, but at some point I noticed the icon had switched from AC to batteries, so I swapped it out. I realize that does not help you. I do not think there is anything wrong with the deck, it is just that the feature does not exist.

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »

The DR680 MKII does not have that feature. I know I really liked that feature on my HD-p2 because at a festival or in the event of a bad external battery upon switching to internals I was alerted by the screen going dark that I was on internals. There were specific menu settings for battery separate from AC, so it was easy to have it set up as you mention. I had the MKI for a while and I never saw that feature being available, but you have the MKI and if you say it is, then I guess it is, but I do not see anything that separates the AC setting from battery setting. I have never seen it as available on the MKII, and I always thought that was pretty much the same as on the MKI, which I had for about a year or 2, it is one of many features that the HD-p2 has that most later models do not. For me it is not much of an issue, because I do use an external battery, and I think I had a Tekkeon go bad on me, but at some point I noticed the icon had switched from AC to batteries, so I swapped it out. I realize that does not help you. I do not think there is anything wrong with the deck, it is just that the feature does not exist.

I'm not sure what you mean. With the MKII, the backlight is always on when the unit is plugged in. From the manual:

"Use the BACKLIGHT item to set the amount of time since being last used until the backlight automatically turns OFF when operating on batteries."

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/873/e_dr-680mk2_om_va.pdf

That's been my experience.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »
dallman, my DR680 MK1 and MK2 are both setup to operate as you describe the HDP2.

That is this- Back light remains on as long as power is supplied to the external jack.  Once power is no longer supplied to the external jack the machine reverts to the internal batteries and switches to whichever backlight setting one has previously specified in the menu (on/off/or a few various time-out choices).  I have mine set to a minimal amount of backlight-on time when on internal batteries to preserve the limited power when running on AA's.  I suspect that's how most other tapers would want it set.

So- as long as one sets it up to do so beforehand, when the backlight goes out while recording its a clear indication the external battery is either spent or has become disconnected.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »
dallman, my DR680 MK1 and MK2 are both setup to operate as you describe the HDP2.

That is this- Back light remains on as long as power is supplied to the external jack.  Once power is no longer supplied to the external jack the machine reverts to the internal batteries and switches to whichever backlight setting one has previously specified in the menu (on/off/or a few various time-out choices).  I have mine set to a minimal amount of backlight-on time when on internal batteries to preserve the limited power when running on AA's.  I suspect that's how most other tapers would want it set.

So- as long as one sets it up to do so beforehand, when the backlight goes out while recording its a clear indication the external battery is either spent or has become disconnected.
I probably just never encountered the situation with either 680, so sorry for the confusion. That is nice to know, but it does not help solve the problem for GLouie who it seems has a glitch n his system.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com