Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 92956 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2019, 09:41:33 AM »
^ Yes, it is true that lowest noise is achieved by running high mic gain + lower trim levels.

But if you are in a situation were you need low mic gain to accommodate a hot input then signal levels are probably high enough that the noise will not be audible.

I made this test with my DR680MKII without mics, I set:
- Mic gain: high
- rec trim: 31 (max value)

There's a lot of noise but it's relatively normal with this values, but when I attach the phantom power I can listen some electric discharges (is it the right term?)
Is it normal or not? Sometimes, when I keep my ears close to the tascam I can hear the same "electric discharges".
In attach there's a short clip, with only noise.

Granted this sounds terrible, but it is not a proper test without a termination across the input to load it properly.  You need to use a resistance across the input for a proper self-noise test.  For an simple real-world check I'd just use the microphones I typically uses, buried under cushions in a quiet room, realizing in that case what you may be hearing is the microphone's self noise as dominant.  You might also try runing the test using different power sources.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flask

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »
^ Yes, it is true that lowest noise is achieved by running high mic gain + lower trim levels.

But if you are in a situation were you need low mic gain to accommodate a hot input then signal levels are probably high enough that the noise will not be audible.

Out of curiosity, Is this written somewhere or is it what people are finding from personal experience? Do you think a loudish rock band in a smallish club would require a high or low mic gain?
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
It's generally the case for all gear that lowest noise is achieved when most of the gain is provided at the earliest part of the chain.

With a loudish rock band in a smallish club you shouldn't have any issues with gear noise-floor.  The ambient noise of the venue will be much higher. I'd run low mic gain and adjust trim as needed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
I just picked one of these up.  Its my first recorder with more than two channels.
I researched a lot of hours and read many threads on TS before making the plunge.
I came down to (1) being unwilling to spend the money on a SDMixPre6 as I am just getting into taping and (2) choosing between the 680mkII, 701d and F4.
This device won because of cost, ease of use, user reports and wanting to get the most out of a recorder for the money.

I have read this thread through a couple of times.  Thanks to all contributors and I am sure I will have contributions of my own in the future.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »
I just picked one of these up.  Its my first recorder with more than two channels.
I researched a lot of hours and read many threads on TS before making the plunge.
I came down to (1) being unwilling to spend the money on a SDMixPre6 as I am just getting into taping and (2) choosing between the 680mkII, 701d and F4.
This device won because of cost, ease of use, user reports and wanting to get the most out of a recorder for the money.

I have read this thread through a couple of times.  Thanks to all contributors and I am sure I will have contributions of my own in the future.

I was in a similar position a few months ago- still loving my 680mkii.

May I direct you to this post, as far as powering it:

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176030.msg2177643#msg2177643

The following three items will allow you to get many hours of rechargeable power (I ran it powering 4 mics for 4 hours w/ the cheaper 100MW model and it was still showing 4/4 LEDs!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01337QXMA/
+ https://www.amazon.com/Valley-2-1mm-5-5mm-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DX6ZUBM
+ https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-75mm-x-1-7mm-Male-to-5-5mm-x-2-1mm-Female-DC-Power-Adapter-Jack-2-Pcs/750868383?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=571&adid=22222222227084328166&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=196389279344&wl4=pla-314461726449&wl5=9030089&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838760&wl11=online&wl12=750868383&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1XpoVJ7_MzA0d-N0IKq7ROTqZ6m19BTePLzoIsKHNKLB5KHIuEqPTjxoC4fcQAvD_BwE

last one because one of the links from the other post is broken - that one from walmart's on clearance for cheap and works perfect.

would recommend this sooner than later- I burned through a good $30 of batteries unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:52:46 PM by love2tape »

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
while I am here, I am wondering if anyone can confirm something--

would this allow me to properly record a stereo signal from some church audio mics into my dr680mkii?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YMP434--hosa-ym-p434-stereo-breakout-3.5mm-trsf-to-dual-1-4-inch-ts-6-inch?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3274408774&rkg_id=0&product_id=YMP434&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Accessories&adgroup=Accessories%20-%20Cables&placement=google&adpos=1o10&creative=249895767051&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1Xva6qj1DXPu5UAyKkyEdOp9lpYVnUV-nUXLsWrw4Lp2JyFdQCU0GpxoC-ekQAvD_BwE

I have both a 3.5 to TRS adapter & a 3.5 to XLR but they both force the feed to be mono when I use them with my CA14 + dr680mkii. I'm hoping this will properly split the signal. If not- does anyone know what my best course of action would be? I know it's kinda funny runnin' CAs into a deck like this but I have them and I'd like the option to be able to use them for comparisons!

Offline flask

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »
That should work. I can run my SP-CMC-8 into a battery box then into that exact same splitter you have linked into inputs 5 and 6. No phantom power of course.
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »
Thanks, love2tape.
Its handy to have all of that in one post.
Previously, I had tracked that down through reading the whole thread so...

+T
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
I think this was briefly discussed either in this thread or another, although I'm not seeing the discussion at the moment. I currently have both a 680 and a 680MKII, and I often run the 680 as a slave of the 680MKII, to get (depending on the setup) 10, 12, or 14 (with external ADC) total channels. Most of the time that's fine for what I need, but sometimes more channels would be helpful. I'm currently debating getting another 680MKII, which would feed into my existing 680MKII and up the channel count to a max of 20. That is:

To: ADC (sometimes) -> 680MKII -> 680MKII -> 680

I know I'd have to manually start and stop the first 680MKII, as the cascade function only works on a master/slave pair, but otherwise it should work. My question is: has anyone tried doing so? Are there any issues with the clock staying locked through all of those devices?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »
I don't know (and only have one 680MK2 on hand now so I'm unable to test), but it's worth trying a parallel slave arrangement using a 'Y' in the digital cable, as well as the series arrangement.

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »
I don't know (and only have one 680MK2 on hand now so I'm unable to test), but it's worth trying a parallel slave arrangement using a 'Y' in the digital cable, as well as the series arrangement.

I hadn't thought of that, and I suppose I could test that with what I have now.

It's definitely a shame that the 680 (both of them) doesn't allow you to create a monitor mix from all 8 tracks. I wouldn't *think* there would be any limitation in the hardware preventing it. When recording 14 tracks you're stuck monitoring two sets of 6 tracks and unable to monitor the remaining 2.

Something like the Model 24 is tempting for much of what I do, although also not a perfect solution.

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »
I recently got an MK2, and have two original 680s, so I will try both tests (series and parallel) when I have the time and report back. It might be awhile before I can actually get that accomplished....

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2019, 05:33:08 PM »
I currently have both a 680 and a 680MKII

I have a 680 and am thinking about buying a 680MK2. Do you notice a big improvement in the mic preamps in the 680MK2?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »
Pre's are improved, if not vastly different.  Menu navigation is improved and represents the biggest advantage to the user IMO - you can scroll through all menus sequentially by simply turning the encoder knob, without having to go into and out of each individually.  External power connector is a different size (smaller diameter).

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2019, 11:36:22 PM »
Pre's are improved, if not vastly different.  Menu navigation is improved and represents the biggest advantage to the user IMO - you can scroll through all menus sequentially by simply turning the encoder knob, without having to go into and out of each individually.  External power connector is a different size (smaller diameter).

Thanks. I get the sense that the improvement in the preamps is not so great that it should be the deciding factor in purchasing the Mk2. And I tend not to use menus too much once I’ve set things up, so the improved navigation wouldn’t be as important in my situation.

ADDED: What I really like about the Dr680 are the standard, convenient transport controls for what I do, which is to search and review within my recordings for different events and sounds. My hope was that the Mk2 preamps would be so terrific that I could replace my SD MixPre6 whose transport controls are totally inadequate and annoying but which has the excellent preamps.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:32:57 AM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com