Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 92945 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2015, 10:38:49 AM »
Some users reformat their card prior each recording session, but I don't feel that's necessary, and doing that would make for a card management hassle for me.  If I'm not reformating the card prior to use, and plan on continuing to record to the card, I do not delete any files from it.  I create new directories (folders) on the card, rename them, and move and rename the WAV files, but I always try not to delete anything.  I copy the files off the card to a HDD once I get home, but leave them on the card both for playback and as a safety copy until I can make a backup copy of the HDD files.  Once a card is filled up, without sufficient space for more additional recording, I reformat it and begin filling it again with new recordings.

The only times I've had problems with SD cards in any of my recorders in the past (can't remember it happening with the DR-680, but I'd already implemented this "never delete before formating" policy long before I started using that recorder) is when I'd deleted files from the card and kept using the it without reformatting.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2015, 01:09:12 PM »
Did know it did not affect the recording and it was only for the monitor, though you can not reset it once you start recording. So that is why I always check it. I like to know what the recordings levels are.

What do you mean "you can not reset it once you start recording"? I'd have to double check on my MKII, but the original 680 definitely allows you to switch back and forth between MIX MON and DIN MON while recording.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2015, 01:31:52 PM »
^Correct for MIX MON / DIN MON.  However, you cannot switch ST REC MIX / ST REC DIN without stopping the recording and restarting.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
^Correct for MIX MON / DIN MON.  However, you cannot switch ST REC MIX / ST REC DIN without stopping the recording and restarting.

Right, but unless I'm misunderstanding, phil_er_up was specifically talking about monitoring.

Offline Rally_AK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
To rally_ak,

This has happened to me a few times on the MK1. If I remember correctly it was from turning off the V3 and other preamps before I turned off the 680. The 680 would get confused (lockup) and the only way to correct the problem was taking the power cord out of the 680.

Good to know, my lock ups weren't attributed to shutting off other preamps/MKii losing digi signal though. Both times it happened, I was running SBD and mics direct to mic/line channels 1-6.
Mics: MBHO 604 KA100LK/200/300 +PFA's | ADK-TL (GK-12d Caps)
Rec: HS-P82 | DR-680mkII | DR-70D | DR-100mkII
Pre: UA5 (w-mod)

Offline Rally_AK

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2015, 01:51:49 PM »
Some users reformat their card prior each recording session, but I don't feel that's necessary, and doing that would make for a card management hassle for me.  If I'm not reformating the card prior to use, and plan on continuing to record to the card, I do not delete any files from it.  I create new directories (folders) on the card, rename them, and move and rename the WAV files, but I always try not to delete anything.  I copy the files off the card to a HDD once I get home, but leave them on the card both for playback and as a safety copy until I can make a backup copy of the HDD files.  Once a card is filled up, without sufficient space for more additional recording, I reformat it and begin filling it again with new recordings.

The only times I've had problems with SD cards in any of my recorders in the past (can't remember it happening with the DR-680, but I'd already implemented this "never delete before formating" policy long before I started using that recorder) is when I'd deleted files from the card and kept using the it without reformatting.

Yeah, I don't think a reformat each time is necessary either. I've filled my SD up to the 128GB mark on a couple occasions with out a glitch... well, except for running out of space. :facepalm: I agree that leaving the files on the card is the best practice whenever possible. It's saved me a couple times when I've accidentally deleted files off the laptop that weren't backed up to my NAS yet. Just need to make sure you have 10-15GB of space on the card before starting anything multi-track.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »
I'll go slow here, because I may be asking a question at the same time I am explaining how I have my settings for going digi to the Mix Track. The differences in recording Digi to tracks 5 and 6 versus the mix track have taken me a while to figure out. In my experience, if the "DIN/MIX" setting on the FUNCTION menu is not on "DIN/MON", and if I am trying to record Digi to that "mix track" (which again I find easier to refer to as 7 and 8 ) I do not end up with anything on my card. I know it implies that it is only for monitoring, but in my experience I will not end up with anything on 7 and 8 if I go digi in and this is accidentally set to "MIX/MON". The other step in this process is to make sure that under MENU, the "ST REC" option is set to "DIN". So to repeat, if I have the "ST REC" set to "DIN" and do not have the "DIN/MIX" set to "DIN/MON", nothing records on the track. Now I don't know if this makes a difference, and I am not sure if I have tried this both ways, but under the MENU setting of "TRACK", I have my analog inputs turned on whatever they may be (usually 1,2,3,4) but I have the "ST" setting turned off if recording analog only or digi to 5 and 6. (edit to add: ) except when I am going Digi in to 7 and 8 and in that case I believe under "TRACK" the "ST" needs to be on too. I have it as part of my 3 step process which is "ST REC" set to "DIN", "TRACK" is set to "ST", and "MIX/MON" set to "DIN/MON".

Am I clear here? Those of you who have this deck probably understand there are a few steps to doing this correctly, and it might not be the most intuitive part of the deck or manual. Do others have any direct experience doing this differently than me recording on that mix track 7 and 8, Digi in?

Lastly off topic, I have never had a single glitch in recording and have used this deck a great deal. I have 2 sony 64gb cards and 2 sony 128gb cards that I got really cheap from B and H. I do not reformat each show, because they are huge cards, but I reformat only in the machine and usually around when they are half to 3/4 full. I never delete on any machine I own, I only reformat, and have never had a single issue on any deck. I often use off brands too. (I do not own a DR70d though which is an entirely different issue related just to that decks design apparently). I do own way too many decks though, it's one of those things I cannot resist.  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:32:13 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2015, 03:15:37 PM »
To keep the terms straight and less confusing, let's refer to the 'extra channels' on the 680 as either the Stereo Channel (which is what Tascam calls it) or channels 7&8, rather than the Mix Track.  That naming reduces potential confusion since either the digital input or a mix of the analog channels may be recorded to the stereo channel.

The menu TRACK setting controls which channels are armed by default when entering record or rec/pause mode.  Doesn't matter how that is set, but if not armed by default, you'll need to remember to press the button under each channel you want recorded to arm them while in rec/pause, before beginning to record.  Likewise you'll need to disarm any channels you don't want recorded, if your default setting has them pre-armed when entering rec/pause.  That includes arming or disarming the stereo channel. My apologies if that is obvious and you are already doing this, just trying to state clearly what this step entails.

So the stereo channel needs to be armed (one way or the other) to have it recorded.  If you need to set DIN MON as well as ST REC DIN to get the digital input recorded to the stereo channel when using the MK2, that's a change from the way the MK1 works.  I'll test that on my recorder when I get a chance.  Possibly tonight.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:19:19 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2015, 03:47:27 PM »
To keep the terms straight and less confusing, let's refer to the 'extra channels' on the 680 as either the Stereo Channel (which is what Tascam calls it) or channels 7&8, rather than the Mix Track.  That naming reduces potential confusion since either the digital input or a mix of the analog channels may be recorded to the stereo channel.

The menu TRACK setting controls which channels are armed by default when entering record or rec/pause mode.  Doesn't matter how that is set, but if not armed by default, you'll need to remember to press the button under each channel you want recorded to arm them while in rec/pause, before beginning to record.  Likewise you'll need to disarm any channels you don't want recorded, if your default setting has them pre-armed when entering rec/pause.  That includes arming or disarming the stereo channel. My apologies if that is obvious and you are already doing this, just trying to state clearly what this step entails.

So the stereo channel needs to be armed (one way or the other) to have it recorded.  If you need to set DIN MON as well as ST REC DIN to get the digital input recorded to the stereo channel when using the MK2, that's a change from the way the MK1 works.  I'll test that on my recorder when I get a chance.  Possibly tonight.

Thanks for simplifying, and I always appreciate your input! I sometimes confuse myself with the terms, so I like your breakdown.

I do arm the channels, but still need to set the DIN/MON each time otherwise everything looks fine like it is recording, but there is no digi track on the SD card when I go to transfer. I will be curious to see what your results are. It would not shock me if there was more than one way to successfully do this. While it has now been a few weeks since I recorded openly, in October, I recorded a slew of shows with my SD USB Pre going to 7 and 8. The only way that worked (For me anyway) was:
1. Track ST armed (with my SD USB Pre plugged into the digi in RCA jack)
2. ST REC set to DIN
3. DIN/MIX set to DIN/MON

Again thanks!

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »

Right, but unless I'm misunderstanding, phil_er_up was specifically talking about monitoring.

Lukpac is correct. Just tried it on the DR-680 recorder and you can set the  MIX MON / DIN MON while recording. Sorry for any confusion.  :facepalm:

===========================================================================

Have 2 Dr680 MK1 and only formatted the SD card when I put it in. Ran 100's of shows on each one. Always pulled and deleted files from PC to DR680. Never had a SD card problem until the DR70 unit. Realize many on here say the correct way to do this is format the card each time though never had a problem.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:49:54 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »
Apologies if this is already known since I'm never on this thread, but I wanted to give a heads up that Tascam USA and Tascam EU have different media lists for the 680.  Specifically, the EU list has 5 SanDisk cards that do not appear on the USA list, although 4 out of those 5 are designated as follows:
*After repeated use, the write performance of this card deteriorates. It is suggested that periodically audio files get transferred to a computer and the unit's ERASE FORMAT function is used prior to further recording use.

Here's my post in the 70D thread where I found similar designations for the 22-WL and 44-WL after Life in Rewind made a point about the statement on the 70D media list:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175623.msg2168959#msg2168959
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Rally_AK

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 08:46:35 PM »
Thanks voltronic, that's the first time I've seen that. I just ran a full scan, using a program called F3 http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/, on my 128GB PNY Elite card after about 4 months of heavy use and it came back with zero errors or corrupted sectors. My cards seem to be in good shape, but as mentioned earlier don't delete files from the card using your computer then use the card again without re-formatting 1st, not in the MKii at least.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2015, 05:42:06 PM »
Apologies if this is already known since I'm never on this thread, but I wanted to give a heads up that Tascam USA and Tascam EU have different media lists for the 680.  Specifically, the EU list has 5 SanDisk cards that do not appear on the USA list, although 4 out of those 5 are designated as follows:
*After repeated use, the write performance of this card deteriorates. It is suggested that periodically audio files get transferred to a computer and the unit's ERASE FORMAT function is used prior to further recording use.

Here's my post in the 70D thread where I found similar designations for the 22-WL and 44-WL after Life in Rewind made a point about the statement on the 70D media list:
I don't know if there is a different approved card  list for the original DR680 to which you refer or to the DR680MKII which is the model referred to on this thread. The 2 decks are different with some different buttons and menu processes, which is why there are 2 seperate threads. I throw that out there for clarity, because those that have either deck want information specific to their model and although reading this it sounds a bit like I am whining, but that is not my intent because I know you are just being helpful! ;D That said, I have used lots of cards on both models, the DR 680 and the DR680MKII and never had any errors or hiccups. I have used models like Emtec and Wintec, repeatedly without issue. I really think the issues on the DR 70d are unique to that model and/or some major change in the firmware was made over the decks up until that point and the change has some kind of fatal flaw. This deck is pretty card friendly, I have not heard of any issues.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2015, 06:39:35 PM »

I don't know if there is a different approved card  list for the original DR680 to which you refer or to the DR680MKII which is the model referred to on this thread. The 2 decks are different with some different buttons and menu processes, which is why there are 2 seperate threads. I throw that out there for clarity, because those that have either deck want information specific to their model and although reading this it sounds a bit like I am whining, but that is not my intent because I know you are just being helpful! ;D That said, I have used lots of cards on both models, the DR 680 and the DR680MKII and never had any errors or hiccups. I have used models like Emtec and Wintec, repeatedly without issue. I really think the issues on the DR 70d are unique to that model and/or some major change in the firmware was made over the decks up until that point and the change has some kind of fatal flaw. This deck is pretty card friendly, I have not heard of any issues.

Typo on my part - I am referring to the MKII.  If you follow my links in the above post, you'll see they are both for the 680MKII.  For the record, I wasn't suggesting that the 680 or 680 MKII are having card issues (I have no experience with either), but found it interesting that Tascam has two different card lists for the 680 MKII and wanted to give people here the heads up on it.

FWIW, according to this thread the original 680 may have occasionally had "write timeout" errors with certain cards on the approved list for that unit.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lukpac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »
Are the "approved media" lists really anything more than "these are the cards that happened to be available when we tested, and they seem to work"?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com