Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 92954 times)

Offline n3mmr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:16 AM »
I bought a dr680mkII the other day and analog recording seems straight forward.

Digital recording of audio from the coax in, not so very straight forward.

I set up the ST REC option to be DIN, and connected to my old Sony DAT. DIN Unlock came up. I hooked up an old spdif/aes digital signal monitor and spdif data editor in series to see what was up.

The only way to get rid of the DIN Unlock message was to modify the bit stream to say Proffessional. Huh? What? Why?

Can somebody explain how to get this unit to accept consumer SPDIF DIN?

Note, there's no copy prohibit set in the spdif stream.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:05:17 AM by n3mmr »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2015, 08:55:29 AM »
You can set the digital I/O format to SPDIF or AES somewhere in the menu.  Perhaps you had it set to AES?  If so try switching it to SPDIF.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline n3mmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
Re the suggestion of setting the format of DIN to aes or spdif: you can set the DOUT format, not the DIN. And I did have that set to spdif. Tried aes as well, but made no difference.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
I've not been home since last week (sick, staying in the nurse's bed  ;)) but when I do get back there in a few days I can run a few digital sources into the MK2 which have worked in the past into the MK1 for me without problems.  Namely a Grace V3, and and R-44.  I can also try a few other digital sources I don't think I ever ran into the MK1- a SBM and a Panasonic CD/DVD player.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline n3mmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2015, 04:53:31 AM »
It was actually my mistake, sorry!

The dr680 resets the digital format when power cycled, so it was set to aes, even when I thought it was set to spdif.

It even turns out the dr680 disregards the copy protection bits, so I can now make it record CD and DAT streams.

I think it would be a very good idea to enable the user to store a default  state, i e a state that the unit reverts to on power cycling.

Offline n3mmr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
I'm not at all sure I have any idea what I'm doing with my dr680mkII!

Right now it seems to keep.every setting across power cyclws, except the mix Mon setting in Function.

I have some misgivings about the importance of take file properties, but otherwise the unit seems straightforward.

I still think "profiles" is a good idea: a complete machine setup that is saved and can be called up to set the machine up for a particular style of job in one go.

I think a profile should include all settable options including mix pan, level and rec trim and everything under Function.

Also I think if one tells the unit to play a file thru dout and/or line out, the unit should disregard everything else, and simply play that file at the rate/depth it was recorded as, ignoring the DIN signal and all REC settings.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:14:15 PM by n3mmr »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »
Anyone have any issues running the MKii off 9V DVD batteries?
I've always run the MK1 that way, would like to do the same for the MKii.

I'm finally going to run my MKii for a festival next week and am making up an external battery power cable for it (wish it used the same power connector) and just want to check the experience of others beforehand. 

Planning on running the full 8 channels, P48 across all 8. Grace V3 > SPDIF into the stereo channel.

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
I've only ever used AC, sorry.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »

I'm finally going to run my MKii for a festival next week and am making up an external battery power cable for it (wish it used the same power connector) and just want to check the experience of others beforehand. 

Planning on running the full 8 channels, P48 across all 8. Grace V3 > SPDIF into the stereo channel.
I always go 12V, not 9V. I have never had a problem with the MKI and now MKII, and I use it almost weekly. I have seen the argument for 9V, but it seems any time there has been an issue, it involves 9V. I think it's ok if you do not use internal batteries, which I keep in the deck for backup just in case. I think most issues center around the 9V battery falling below the internals and causing some kind of issue. (Power struggle ;-) ) So for me, it is just not worth playing around with.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2016, 03:22:03 PM »
I'm only looking for confirmation that a 9V supply has worked for other MKII users. 

Thanks for the input but I'd rather not re-hash the MKI issues and speculate on the causes again right now.  For the record, I'v had no problems using 9 DVD batteries + internal batteries in the MKI since it's release.  Switch over was always seamless. Although 12V is specified and optimal, I'm setup with multiple 9V DVD batteries to power the recorder and V3, which I can recharge from a deepcycle 12V boat battery back at camp with no electrical hookup, making this the far more practical option for me next week.  I'm only looking to swap out the MKI out for the MKII, everything else remaining the same.  I could simply use the MKI, but would rather use the MKII.

FWIW the MKII powered up fine on a 9V DVD battery last night when I tested it, but I did not run a rigorous test. 

I'm simply looking for anecdotal confirmation that 9V has been working for other members here recording with the MKII.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2016, 02:11:35 AM »
What are the notable differences between the mk1 and mk2?

It seems like better pre amps is the only big one? So wouldn't a DR680 mk1 with the busman mod be basically 95% as good as a DR680 mk2?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2016, 08:53:31 AM »
I find the primary difference in use is that the menu system is easier to navigate quickly on the mk2.  You can scroll through the entire menu without back and forth button presses.  Perhaps the preamps are better, but I never had any problem with the mk1 preamps, and only brought along an outboard preamp to get 8 channels.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »

This is confirmation that 9V DVD batteries have worked fine for me powering the Mk2.

I did have a problem which I believe was caused by the mk2 overheating when used along with a Grace V3 in the same bag (hot).  No problems running the recorder alone (not over hot).

I ran the mk2 and V3 (8 channels) for Springfest last month.  Mk2 powered by a 12V SLA (with p48 on all 6 analog channels), V3 powered by 9V DVD.  It was warm out, and rather tight in the bag. By the end of Saturday, the V3 and recorder were quite hot.  At one point the phantom power on all analog channels of the mk2 cut out simultaneously and completely but the recorder kept running, digital input from the V3 recorded correctly.  I shut down and re-started the machine and the same problem manifested again after a few minutes. The following day I ran without the V3 (6 analog channels only) and the problem did not reoccur.

Last weekend at the Wanee festival I ran the mk2 only (6 analog p48) powered with 9V DVD batteries.  No problems the entire fest.  The Mk2 seems to draw less current than the mk1.  My very old DVD batteries (7-8 yrs old, which have never been refreshed with new cells), lasted 7-8 hrs each.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2016, 11:23:02 AM »
The sucks that the new version suffers from the over heating issue too!! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Yeah,  I assume it's overheating causing this.  There is a different manifestation of the problem between the two recorder versions in my case, but the over-hot situation is the same.

Mk1 would produce a sort of rhythmic brief mute and level-pumping, which moved across all channels in a sort of wave like way, perhaps due to the phantom power cycling after the deck became overheated.  With the mk2 all analog input levels suddenly dropped fully zero and remained muted.  Due to the digital input still working, I assume that this was also a phantom power issue.  I was not recording to any of the analog inputs without phantom, so not sure if those would have remained recording or not.

I propped open the Tascam form-fitting case to allow some additional cooling air ventilation this last weekend, and had a single-use instant cold-pack on hand in the bag just in case, but the mk2 didn't get very warm at all this time without the V3 also running in there right next to it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:59:45 AM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com