Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope Rx 7  (Read 54223 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Re: iZotope Rx 7
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
Spent some time configuring a multi-button mouse for my usual rx workflow, and it's super helpful.
I can easily click-lock to select area, toggle between brush and time (my 2 usual selection tools), then run either spectral repair or de-click, all from the mouse.
Maybe other folks figured this out immediately, but investing a bit of time is paying off in ease of use, and I'm hopeful will make this a less likely to trigger my rsi.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2020, 12:39:25 AM »
Music Rebalance in RX8.  O M G   
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2020, 05:14:18 AM »
Spent some time configuring a multi-button mouse for my usual rx workflow, and it's super helpful.
I can easily click-lock to select area, toggle between brush and time (my 2 usual selection tools), then run either spectral repair or de-click, all from the mouse.
Maybe other folks figured this out immediately, but investing a bit of time is paying off in ease of use, and I'm hopeful will make this a less likely to trigger my rsi.

great tip!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2020, 02:14:08 PM »
Working on Van Morrision @ the Greek 1986, km84i's > D5 FOB DFC. Tested out vocal isolation on rx7 std. vs demo version of 8. The difference is significant.
Samples below.
Thinking I'm about to upgrade...

:o

Thanks for the comp.

Upgrade offer to RX8 Standard from RX7 Standard was $149 USD

They gave me 5% discount too, after I 86'd the first offer, and came back in a different browser.

Thanks guys for the reviews.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2020, 02:33:41 PM »
So, wacky question: with the stem separation so good, has anyone else considered separating and then mastering as if there were 4 stereo tracks, applying different filters to different instruments, then mixing back together?
Certainly would be a way to make mastering take even more time. Wonder if it'd be worthwhile. Maybe source material would be the determinant.

On the VanMo recording I'm working on currently, I'll be comparing my usual practice of mixing vocal stem back in to main track then eq'ing vs eq'ing the vocal stem prior to mixing it back in to the main track and eq'ing the whole thing. Full separation would be the next step in my ongoing quest to make things more complicated for myself.

Recordings at LMA

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2020, 06:43:09 PM »
So, wacky question: with the stem separation so good, has anyone else considered separating and then mastering as if there were 4 stereo tracks, applying different filters to different instruments, then mixing back together?
Certainly would be a way to make mastering take even more time. Wonder if it'd be worthwhile. Maybe source material would be the determinant.

On the VanMo recording I'm working on currently, I'll be comparing my usual practice of mixing vocal stem back in to main track then eq'ing vs eq'ing the vocal stem prior to mixing it back in to the main track and eq'ing the whole thing. Full separation would be the next step in my ongoing quest to make things more complicated for myself.

Absolutely. I did a remaster of a U2 1993 broadcast show where I did exactly that--split it all apart, then remixed the whole thing with a bunch of effects.

I've also done a bunch of multiple IEM feed matrix recordings where I split apart each feed and then worked with the stems to build the mix.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »

Absolutely. I did a remaster of a U2 1993 broadcast show where I did exactly that--split it all apart, then remixed the whole thing with a bunch of effects.

I've also done a bunch of multiple IEM feed matrix recordings where I split apart each feed and then worked with the stems to build the mix.

Any chance you could post a sample of the before and after? i'm very interested.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2020, 09:22:36 PM »
I took a loud talker completely out of a tape, and RX7 didn’t touch it at all. It’s completely rebuilt.
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2020, 10:28:42 PM »

Any chance you could post a sample of the before and after? i'm very interested.

You're in luck.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hLyoBHf5c2ZOWgAH3cNKeCHq4uGJb3hU?usp=sharing

Has the original untouched recording and then my remaster/remix.
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2020, 12:49:58 AM »

You're in luck.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hLyoBHf5c2ZOWgAH3cNKeCHq4uGJb3hU?usp=sharing

Has the original untouched recording and then my remaster/remix.

Thanks hoserama, I'll check it out. Sorry for the late reply.

I've been using RX7 for vinyl transfers at 24/96. The repair assistant is seriously amazing. It doesn't usually catch the noise in between tracks, but the spectral de-noise takes care of that easily with the learn feature. I'm very happy to use one product for this workflow (besides Reaper for tracking) and not have to switch back and forth between audacity, etc. I have noticed that there's a fine line between just enough and too much.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 01:16:15 AM by DavidPuddy »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2020, 04:42:19 AM »
What software do you normally use to work on the separated tracks? I have never actually worked with multitrack before, and it doesn't seem to be supported in rx8..?

MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »
What software do you normally use to work on the separated tracks? I have never actually worked with multitrack before, and it doesn't seem to be supported in rx8..?
I use Audacity, many 'round here use Reaper.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 01:54:59 PM by checht »

Recordings at LMA

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2020, 01:41:48 PM »
I used to use Nuendo, but switched over to Reaper last year.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2020, 09:09:48 PM »
i just used the 'phase' tool for the first time ever to repair an asymmetrical waveform on a webrip

is there anything this software can't do?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2020, 09:15:08 PM »
i just used the 'phase' tool for the first time ever to repair an asymmetrical waveform on a webrip

is there anything this software can't do?

Nope; it's basically audio repair witchcraft.

I used the DeCrackle module a couple weeks ago to repair a bunch of buffer underrun errors on a direct-to-PC recording when I had set the sample buffer too low. Saved me a tense moment with my better half, because all of her vocal takes had this problem (which was my fault) and I didn't have to ask her to spend another hour or so redoing those takes.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com