Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)  (Read 111321 times)

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
It will remember the settings in most cases. If you leave a set of batteries in the unit, it will store the setting for sure.
For any loud concert, you aren't going to need more than 20-30db of gain. The low or medium should be fine.

I would NOT use the high unless you know it's going to be a pretty quiet event, as you can't change mid-recording.
At 24/96, you don't need to come close to clipping to get all the dynamic range of your recording. Keep it below the little dot 95% of the time.

The file split you referenced is normal, it's the 2gig limit of wav files. It will happen every hour at 24/96 and every two hours at 24/48 or 24/44.
There is not any data missing, the files are easily and seamlessly rejoined using an editing program such as sound forge, cubase, or protools.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2015, 11:13:19 PM »
I'm not sure why Tascam spread the mic controls we need over three submenu items.  ???   when you get them set, the unit will remember them. 

the 70d really needs gangable controls, too. 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »
I'm not sure why Tascam spread the mic controls we need over three submenu items.  ???   when you get them set, the unit will remember them. 

Maybe you and others here could start bringing these things to Tascam's attention directly.  I have had no luck.  I PMd tomuo 3 times, emailed both Tascam and Teac customer support and tech support two times each.  No replies. >:(
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »
I think we'd be telling them the obvious? 

After reading Jim Williams response to your questions about the effect of the mod on quieter material over at GS, I started wondering if you'd be better off to feed your 70d from your FP24 instead of spending more $ on the mod? For one thing, you know what you're going to get.  For another, why spend another $150? 

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:30 PM »

Maybe you and others here could start bringing these things to Tascam's attention directly.  I have had no luck.  I PMd tomuo 3 times, emailed both Tascam and Teac customer support and tech support two times each.  No replies. >:(
Each one reached me; you're trying too hard.   Email to TASCAM customer support gets you a reference number and a reply.  Email to factory repair about software requests doesn't.   I'll only reply to PMs if I have accurate info to reply with, otherwise it just invites speculation.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2015, 08:54:51 PM »
  Email to TASCAM customer support gets you a reference number and a reply.  Email to factory repair about software requests doesn't.   I'll only reply to PMs if I have accurate info to reply with, otherwise it just invites speculation.
I very much appreciate the fact that a factory rep is in on this thread! Thanks to you and to Tascam! I'm glad I bought this unit!  ;D
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2015, 12:12:34 AM »
  Email to TASCAM customer support gets you a reference number and a reply.  Email to factory repair about software requests doesn't.   I'll only reply to PMs if I have accurate info to reply with, otherwise it just invites speculation.
I very much appreciate the fact that a factory rep is in on this thread! Thanks to you and to Tascam! I'm glad I bought this unit!  ;D

Agreed. Especially so since we as tapers most certainly must constitute only a small fraction of the market. Nice to know the voice of the little guy can still be heard even in this day and age.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »

Each one reached me; you're trying too hard.   Email to TASCAM customer support gets you a reference number and a reply.  Email to factory repair about software requests doesn't.   I'll only reply to PMs if I have accurate info to reply with, otherwise it just invites speculation.
OK.  But I never knew any of that, and all I was asking from you and the emails to Tascam was to point me to the correct person who deals with these things.  I never even received a reference number email response from Tascam customer support as you describe, so the perception on my end is that things are not getting through.  I was trying the tech support emails because there was no response from customer support, and I figured someone had to respond.

I'm sorry if my multiple PMs were an annoyance, but you could have simply replied the first time and said you didn't have that info.  I was reaching out to you after falling to get a response from Tascam for over a month.  I don't think that's "trying too hard."

That said, I appreciate you're here on this board to weigh in.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »
 :facepalm:
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
What he emoticomed.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »
There's also the repair and support side to consider.   If you buy a more expensive recorder, you'll get perks such as the manufacturer priority shipping you a replacement unit as soon as you send yours in for repair, 24 hour phone support, or the dealer getting a good enough profit margin that they will cushion you with loaners and quick turn around in the event of a problem.    Those are the corners that don't even exist in the budget category of recorders.

The unvarnished truth of it (from the F8 thread)...

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2015, 11:35:16 AM »
Only reason I didn't try a 70d, Tascams reputation is not good. I don't want to have to deal with them for repairs. Hope the Zoom people do better and it makes Tascam step up a bit on the customer service end.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2015, 07:01:33 PM »
I get what you are all saying, however when I had an issue with my M10 (same price as 70D), Sony was very quick to respond.  Obviously the price bracket of a "pro" unit has certain other service benefits that come with it as Tom points out, but I feel like a manufacturer can still make time for those who purchase less expensive products.

Clearly my opinion is in the minority here, so I'll stop pressing the issue.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline willndmb

« Reply #223 on: June 28, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
I get what you are all saying, however when I had an issue with my M10 (same price as 70D), Sony was very quick to respond.  Obviously the price bracket of a "pro" unit has certain other service benefits that come with it as Tom points out, but I feel like a manufacturer can still make time for those who purchase less expensive products.

Clearly my opinion is in the minority here, so I'll stop pressing the issue.
I have the 60d but was hesitating to get it at first due to the marginal at best rep it seemed they have.
It also makes me wonder why they would release multi devices in a rather short period of time vs sony releasing one.
Lucky I have not had issues so it's a nonissue
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »
It's always a gamble outside of what, sound devices? I really tormented over choice of second deck, but it was ultimately worth a few hundred more to pick up another Oade mod 661 and know it can go right to Doug for a fix, and will probably, though not certainly, be more reliable. Could have gone either way, if I needed a four channel the 70 would have been well worth a shot through the warranty period. I just think Tascam can do better. Sony does, and the M10 isn't expensive. That's how you keep customers. Now has shit customer support, many lower rung brands do better imo. It's a philosophy of giving a shit and it pays off in loyalty.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com