Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoors and In  (Read 2799 times)

Offline boolz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Outdoors and In
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »
I'm an absolute newbie to taping and would like some mic advice. I plan on doing some stealth taping of some loud, indoor concerts mainly, in medium size venues (~800), and want to get mics for that. But my first real taping will be at an outdoor festival, on the floor of stadium surrounded by empty bleachers.

Can I use the same mics for both types venue? I'm willing to spend a couple hundred, but would prefer to keep it simple and have one good set rather than two mediocre sets.

Also, if you don't mind, check my reasoning on this plan, and tell me if anything sounds like a disaster. I've read what I could, but may not be processing it all correctly:

- the crowds I'm anticipating are fairly annoying, so I'm thinking of cards to not pick up too much crowd noice (but want some)

- the recorder I'm using is a Belkin Tunetalk because it's what I already own. I'll change later if it looks like I need to. I've got some recordings using its internal mics, so I've got something to compare with once I get good mics and power for them. (also, I don't want to invest too much because, frankly, don't know if I'll be really willing to give up screaming for taping, in the long run)

And finally, how sneaky do you have to be to get mics into a no-audio venue? iPod and belkin are no problem, even with wanding. Does wanding pick up other mics and/or batt box?

Thanks.

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Outdoors and In
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »
The cards will sound nice outdoors at a good spot in the venue.  The subs sound real nice on the indoors if the situation is right.  What's your 1st idea on a configuration?

Offline boolz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »
The cards will sound nice outdoors at a good spot in the venue.  The subs sound real nice on the indoors if the situation is right.  What's your 1st idea on a configuration?

I'm enough of a newbie that I'm not understanding the comment - what do you mean by "subs" here - is that a kind of mic, or are you talking about the subwoofers or something else?

Here's what I'm thinking about set up: for all the taping I've got in mind right now, I'm looking at artists who are OK with taping, but venues that forbid it. I'm thinking of getting these mics, or something like it (would welcome suggestions):

http://www.core-sound.com/cardioid/1.php

Outdoor venue: this is an all day festival. In the past, getting close to the stage has been no problem. Operating with the full freedom of ignorance, I figure I'll plant myself where I would most enjoy hearing the show, say about 30 feet back from the stage. Although seating is blankets, I imagine most won't be seated for the guys I'm wanting to catch, so I'm thinking mics on croakies on sunglasses on my head. I'm on the tall side, so that seems good. I can test placement by taping an earlier band, and change my spot according to what I hear.

Indoor venue: no clue what is best. I've been to 3 shows at 3 different sites of this franchise, and all had very different sound. One had great sound in the balcony (I taped that with my belkin's built in mics - OK for id, but not as an aesthetic experience). One, I was right by the stage and sound was really over bearing. The last, I was about 50 feet back and sound was really good. Didn't tape either of those last two. It's standing only and figures to be packed and jostling, so I'm thinking mics either clipped to my clothes somehow, or maybe even clipped into my hair just above ears. It's a wild mess and can hide a lot.

Hope that answers the configuration question. Like I said: newbie

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 10:17:40 PM »
I think discopanic was talking about cardioids and subcardioids.  Subcardioids have a more open polar pattern than cardioids, but not omnidirectional like, well...an omnidirectional pattern. 

I'd stick with cardioids for the moment, they're a great place to start - they produce good results indoors and outdoors, in a variety of scenarios.  No problem using the same mics for open recording as stealth.  You may want a shorter mic cable for stealthing to keep things compact, and a longer cable (or an extension) for open taping so you can put your mics up a bit higher on a mic stand.

Plenty of people have started with (or still use) Core-Sound mics.  Not my cup of tea, but some people like them.  I know lately (and it seems increasingly so) some folks have been pleased with their mics and customer service experiences with Church Audio mics and battery box or preamp.  Chris Church is a member here on TS, too.  You can find his profile link and some sale threads in the Retail forum.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline boolz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 12:35:20 AM »
Thanks, guys. That's just what I needed to get started.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com